Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have to admit that Nick Murray's review of the 718 Boxster got me thinking seriously of getting one. The original journalist reviews were pretty depressing (Chris Harris for example) but got better as time went on. I also think his in depth descriptions of Porsche options are good, especially if you are new to the brand.

And I like anyone that takes his 911 with MT out in the snow and does donuts, brings his dog along for the ride, and occasionally hauls furniture with a roof rack. Use the car as a daily driver, and doesn't treat as some kind of holy shrine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I watch fewer and fewer car based channels. I find most to be self-serving. Many to be formulaic. I find Nick's to be more the exception than the typical drivel.

One of the worst offenders is The Straight Pipes. Horrendous.
OMG! "The Straight Pipes" I have no words to describe those two birds, except, I totally agree with you. Nick however is informative and fun to watch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I stumbled on this YouTube video today. I wonder if the basic premise is correct, or it was just a general sports car downturn at the time. Does anyone have any accurate sales data for the last 2 years? I can only find 718 as whole increasing dramatically but don't know if this is the newer options driving that.

Or is the early negativity about the engine not sounding good finally going away?

I'm also interested to know the Cayman:Boxter split. In Australia it is 66:33, for the last couple of years anyway, but not sure if that is the same around the world.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
107 Posts

The Panorama magazine (PCA) used to have monthly sales figures, now I think it's only quarterly although actually I don't remember seeing any recently. I don't think they every broke down Cayman/Boxster split though.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I stumbled on this YouTube video today. I wonder if the basic premise is correct, or it was just a general sports car downturn at the time. Does anyone have any accurate sales data for the last 2 years? I can only find 718 as whole increasing dramatically but don't know if this is the newer options driving that.

Or is the early negativity about the engine not sounding good finally going away?

I'm also interested to know the Cayman:Boxter split. In Australia it is 66:33, for the last couple of years anyway, but not sure if that is the same around the world.
Back then it was certainly a combination of factors but if I recall correctly the US sales data around that time showed that all sports cars sales were down including 911s so it wasn't totally unique to 718s. However, when the 981 was released it was quite a leap from the 987 and the car was very well received and still is a great and nice looking car which is very similar in its dynamics to the 982/718. As you know the 718 did bring improvements but the change to turbo 4s was generally not well received by the journos, despite the massive increase in performance.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Didn’t watch the video but common sense tells you that a 2 seater expensive sports car is a pretty niche product that most people cannot fit into their lives. I mean, even for Porsche which is a brand synonymous with sports cars the Macan and Cayenne destroy the 911 and 718 in terms of sales. The Urus was Lamborghinis best seller last year by far as well. People just prefer SUVs today.

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
16 Posts
I don't know about other markets, but in the UK:

All used car prices are crazy at the moment, but prior to Covid used values of 981 models held up far better than newer 718 cars. Objectively the 718 4 cylinder cars are faster/better but people still wanted the 6 cylinder cars. I've no idea how that translated into new car sales, but from my own perspective I have ordered a GTS 4.0 but wouldn't have done so with the 2.5.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I don't know about other markets, but in the UK:

All used car prices are crazy at the moment, but prior to Covid used values of 981 models held up far better than newer 718 cars. Objectively the 718 4 cylinder cars are faster/better but people still wanted the 6 cylinder cars. I've no idea how that translated into new car sales, but from my own perspective I have ordered a GTS 4.0 but wouldn't have done so with the 2.5.
I was placed on three different dealer's allocation lists once our BS exhibited limp mode at the track. Otherwise, the BS's turbo performance was nothing short of amazing and never dissapointed. I'm sure the NA6 will be just as enjoyable, but I seriously lament the fact that our new GTS won't be a turbo...it was addictive.

Reactions: jsind17

·
Registered
15 Posts
Didn’t watch the video but common sense tells you that a 2 seater expensive sports car is a pretty niche product that most people cannot fit into their lives. I mean, even for Porsche which is a brand synonymous with sports cars the Macan and Cayenne destroy the 911 and 718 in terms of sales. The Urus was Lamborghinis best seller last year by far as well. People just prefer SUVs today.
All of what you say is true. But not really related to the question. The premise of the video was that the 718 sales slumped relative to the 981, not other categories.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts