Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news about the 718 not really happening any more. What are you guys going to look into instead? Another Porsche? The Miata? Something else?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually don't have many problems with an older boxster. I'm kinda interested in one, or a used Cayman would go over well. Watch for landmines though, those boxsters can go sour and FAST.

new Vette has a certain appeal, not as much class if you will, but snarly swagger, YES!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not even sure at this point. The new Mazda Miata looks nice, just need to get behind the wheel of one to see what it's really like.

Has anyone here looked into the new miata?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked into it. There isn't a crazy amount of info. It looks great and it is going to come with the 2.0 SKYACTIV engine which should make around 155 horsepower and 150 lb-ft of torque. That's actually less than the last generation, but it is also supposed to weigh a lot less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's much to like about the MX-5 (Miata). Seems like it lost all the fat it accumulated over 25 years. Back to 1050 kg is nice.

Speaking of lightness, the Alfa 4C looks the part. The gearbox is a concern as it's reported to act sluggish.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't that only being sold in Europe right now? I just haven't seen or heard much of the AR 4C. It makes me weary of the brand. I have this feeling that they aren't very reliable and are prone to problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its italian, what did you expect ;) at least they gave up those nasty habits of attempted suicide and self immolation... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Isn't that only being sold in Europe right now? I just haven't seen or heard much of the AR 4C. It makes me weary of the brand. I have this feeling that they aren't very reliable and are prone to problems.
Alfa is indeed suffering a so-so reputation and probably wel deserved too... This doesn't mean the 4C is bad choice though. Things change.

Fact is that German cars in general (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW - not the US owned Ford and Opel) and certainly Porsche are genuinly thoroughly developed before they are released. The French and Italians are often lacking in that departement!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a heads up: after selling my old Z4 due to damaging it in an accident, I went ahead and bought a 1-year old Cayman 2.7 PDK from a German Porsche dealer. Some fixing up cosmetically by them and the paperwork means I will pick it up on November 15th.

Had a little spin in it, too. It's a real looker, it doesn't blast away like thunder as you touch the throttle but the gear changes are amazing and it feels good in the curves. It was short though, but I will have plently of time to get to know the car.

No 718 for me then probably...

·
Registered
459 Posts
at least you didn't bother waiting on it, rather enjoying this now, who knows maybe later you'll want to buy the 718.. but what's more important is that you have something fun to play around with now :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
at least you didn't bother waiting on it, rather enjoying this now, who knows maybe later you'll want to buy the 718.. but what's more important is that you have something fun to play around with now :)
Yep, who knows...

It's Yellow, so I am already having a lot of fun just looking at pictures of the thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
Gutwrencher
Porsche 718 Forum
718 Forum is the largest Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman community. Join now to discuss modifications, exhaust, tires and more!
Full Forum Listing