Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Second track session. Boost was fine UNTIL the last lap. Same thing happened. I’m thinking this must be heat-related. All gauges looked good the entire session though. I’m going to take it in for service and maybe they can look at the logs??? Two more sessions to go today!

·
Registered
718 Cayman, Jet Black Metallic. MY2019
11 Posts
Second track session. Boost was fine UNTIL the last lap. Same thing happened. I’m thinking this must be heat-related. All gauges looked good the entire session though. I’m going to take it in for service and maybe they can look at the logs??? Two more sessions to go today!
Interesting, I wonder if yours is just starting to seize, and the heat is just making it tight enough to stick open? Will be interesting to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem here!

2019 2.0 718 PDK with 3000 miles.

1) Commonly it will go to no more that 0.3bar boost but if I stop and restart it will sometimes work fine.

2) When it is working, there is a very noticeable squeal (much more that then normal soft whine) about 1.0bar.

3) Twice now, when cornering reasonably hard with boost there is a distinct stutter and the orange PCM light flashes and "PSM Failure - Consult dealer. Drive with caution". Not sure if related to boost pressure. I restart the PSM Failure message goes away.

Phoned the dealer and have it booked in next week (asking for a loan car made the earliest option late September).

Car been in twice for rattles when new and can't say I'm impressed with Porsche quality or reliability.

Did anyone get the the bottom of the problems mentioned earlier on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Similar problem here!

2019 2.0 718 PDK with 3000 miles.

1) Commonly it will go to no more that 0.3bar boost but if I stop and restart it will sometimes work fine.

2) When it is working, there is a very noticeable squeal (much more that then normal soft whine) about 1.0bar.

3) Twice now, when cornering reasonably hard with boost there is a distinct stutter and the orange PCM light flashes and "PSM Failure - Consult dealer. Drive with caution". Not sure if related to boost pressure. I restart the PSM Failure message goes away.

Phoned the dealer and have it booked in next week (asking for a loan car made the earliest option late September).

Car been in twice for rattles when new and can't say I'm impressed with Porsche quality or reliability.

Did anyone get the the bottom of the problems mentioned earlier on?
Yep - seized turbo wastegate actuator. From your symptoms I’d bet that you have the same issue, the PSM warning light was the first symptom I had. Good job you’re still under warranty...

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think my '18 GTS may have the same issue. The car seems to be driving as it always has with plenty of power, but boost pressure isn't showing more than just a few lbs during acceleration.

The car is due for an oil change so I'll have the dealer do it. Would they pick this up during normal diagnostics or should I bring it to their attention?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think my '18 GTS may have the same issue. The car seems to be driving as it always has with plenty of power, but boost pressure isn't showing more than just a few lbs during acceleration.

The car is due for an oil change so I'll have the dealer do it. Would they pick this up during normal diagnostics or should I bring it to their attention?
From the various threads I’ve read this seems to impact the base 2.0 turbo most often, I’m not sure if the configuration of your vvt is similar or not.
My experience with the local Porsche centre is that they’re very thorough and willing to look into any issues I’ve raised, I’d definitely highlight it and I’m sure they’ll be able to diagnose if there’s an issue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
From the various threads I’ve read this seems to impact the base 2.0 turbo most often, I’m not sure if the configuration of your vvt is similar or not.
My experience with the local Porsche centre is that they’re very thorough and willing to look into any issues I’ve raised, I’d definitely highlight it and I’m sure they’ll be able to diagnose if there’s an issue.
I'm not sure if there is anything wrong or not. The car is driving fine as ever. I had an appointment at the Chiropractor this morning, which is about a 30 minute drive from home and mostly highway. I drove in all three modes and witnessed in Sport mode the boost pressure barely registers. Move it to + and there's a noticeable increase in boost pressure. The car doesn't feel any different otherwise. Ah I'll just mention it to them when there for the oil change and see what comes of it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts