Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
280 Posts
There are several threads covering this. It's down to chip shortages worldwide.

AIUI you can get BOSE on the 4.0 GTS and GT4 cars though. The LED PDLS+ lights are unavailable for similar reasons. Is BOSE unavailable on the 4.0 cars in Canada? No explanation for that!

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,262 Posts
Bose is not available on 718's in Canada, including the GTS. Don't imagine that you will ever find out why we got picked to get stiffed. It might be cost/profit - they make less on our cars and options than most other regions, including US where you can still get the Bose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several threads covering this. It's down to chip shortages worldwide.

AIUI you can get BOSE on the 4.0 GTS and GT4 cars though. The LED PDLS+ lights are unavailable for similar reasons. Is BOSE unavailable on the 4.0 cars in Canada? No explanation for that!
NO Bose option on GTS in Canada.

·
Registered
617 Posts
They just saved you a $1000, the base radio is not terrible, it's good, just play with the BASS and TREBLE settings. The Bose is not $1000 better and actually sounded muddy. Maybe Porsche realized it was making their valued customers throw away money and decided as a gesture of goodwill to stop taking your money for something that in some cases sounds worse than the base radio. Just a theory, not really sure, but maybe Porsche saw the light?

·
Registered
527 Posts
When resources are in tight supply, a business will prioritize those resources toward the products with the highest profit margin and/or highest demand. Soo … allocate to the GTS models over the 4Ts, but not to Canada orders at all if profit margins are indeed lower, and since they’re not issuing allocations to that market anyway for the balance of 2022.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,262 Posts
They just saved you a $1000, the base radio is not terrible, it's good, just play with the BASS and TREBLE settings. The Bose is not $1000 better and actually sounded muddy. Maybe Porsche realized it was making their valued customers throw away money and decided as a gesture of goodwill to stop taking your money for something that in some cases sounds worse than the base radio. Just a theory, not really sure, but maybe Porsche saw the light?
Everyone has their own opinion. I think that you will find that yours is in the minority. Most with experience feel that Bose certainly isn't high end but it is beats the SPP by a long way.

Ambient lighting and smartphone compartment - that is throwing away money.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
cars have been shipped w/o BOSE amp modules installed due to shortages - dealers have to hold cars until they receive the parts and install - then can deliver to customer.

Otherwise the PCM is non-op. No backup camera - its required equipment in the US since 2018 MY

for US market - BOSE is restricted to CGTS / CGT4 / CGT4 RS and BGTS, Spyder for MY '23

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bose is not available on 718's in Canada, including the GTS. Don't imagine that you will ever find out why we got picked to get stiffed. It might be cost/profit - they make less on our cars and options than most other regions, including US where you can still get the Bose.
Exactly. Base GTS starts at 90K in USA. In canada it starts at 98K. Americans should come buy Porsches in canada!
Will go Burmester if I get an allocation before Bose returns.
Same.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Porsche? Doubt it. The $1000 Bose probably costs Porsche $150. It’s better than the base system but still s-hitty

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
258 Posts
Funny, I don't think the Bose sounds shitty at all for a car stereo - and I spent years listening to the best systems in the world in million dollar sound rooms. That said, I spent years listening to the best systems in the world blah blah blah and my hearing might not be what it once was :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bose option no longer available in Canada since June/July. Only Burmeister for 5500$.
it’s available in USA though.
Can someone explain the rationale?
The rationale is obvious ($$$) but just about anyone that can afford a new P-car does not have the hearing of an 18 year old. If you are much older than 18 years, you simply won't hear the difference between the base system and either the Bose of Burmeister.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts