Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The rationale is obvious ($$$) but just about anyone that can afford a new P-car does not have the hearing of an 18 year old. If you are much older than 18 years, you simply won't hear the difference between the base system and either the Bose of Burmeister.
Good point. I would like to know exactly how and why the base system is not good.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
The rationale is obvious ($$$) but just about anyone that can afford a new P-car does not have the hearing of an 18 year old. If you are much older than 18 years, you simply won't hear the difference between the base system and either the Bose of Burmeister.
I do not believe this is an accurate opinion to leave people with. I would suggest anyone who cares about audio to do more research. If one does not care, that is fine, but please don’t mislead those who do.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,278 Posts
That's a pretty extreme statement. You are going to need data to back that up.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
968 Posts
I have not compared my Burmester to Porsche's other options, and I suspect many would be fine w Bose.

And to that I say: the Burmester sounds incredible. Musical and accurate. One may indeed do better in a financial sense w non-OEM mods. I wanted turnkey and OEM.

And while Apples to Oranges, the Bose in my new Miata is crap. May replace some components on that. But it is serviceable enough as a default non-option.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
262 Posts
Musical, perhaps. Accurate? Hard to say unless you've heard the original masters in the mix room, or ran a sweep test in the car. Ultimately the system should generally please your own ears over a variety of musical styles. Engineers generally mix and compromise with a variety of playback systems in mind from high end stereos, to pc speakers, to mono. Car stereos are especially important to engineers as they usually get very boomy if your lows and/or low mids are even slightly off. I've listened to productions that I'm very familiar with from the masters on the Porsche Bose (718 and Macan) and really, it's not bad. I have a base stereo in a Mercedes C Wagon, and that sounds quite tinny with a lame bottom.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have not compared my Burmester to Porsche's other options, and I suspect many would be fine w Bose.

And to that I say: the Burmester sounds incredible. Musical and accurate. One may indeed do better in a financial sense w non-OEM mods. I wanted turnkey and OEM.

And while Apples to Oranges, the Bose in my new Miata is crap. May replace some components on that. But it is serviceable enough as a default non-option.
I am trying to understand how good the base Cayman audio system is compared to Bose. And then compared to Burmester. I’m not an audiophile. I’ve just heard people say that the base audio system is sub par.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,278 Posts
I am trying to understand how good the base Cayman audio system is compared to Bose. And then compared to Burmester. I’m not an audiophile. I’ve just heard people say that the base audio system is sub par.
The problem is, as you can tell from responses in this and similar threads, is that it seems to be as subjective as colour. At least with colour, you can get an approximation before buying.

I am content with the Bose. If I had to order now, with no Bose available, I would probably get the base. Five grand is a lot of money for a sound system in a loud car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The problem is, as you can tell from responses in this an similar threads, is that it seems to be as subjective as colour. At least with colour, you can get an approximation before buying.

I am content with the Bose. If I had to order now, with no Bose available, I would probably get the base. Five grand is a lot of money for a sound system in a loud car.
Makes sense. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
It is truly a tough choice. I put Burmester in my build after researching the challenges in upgrading from SPP (Base). The MOST 150 interface is the big hurdle. It forces the use of an interface. The challenge here is there is only one product that can do this, the NAV-TV ZEN-V. Which is controversial in itself. So it got complicated fast. Also the speaker locations are more limited with SPP, complicating aftermarket upgrades. So 5K in the aftermarket was not even going to get new drivers. See here:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes, people just say stuff. I hear people say the base system is "Terrible". School shootings are terrible. the war in Ukraine terrible, you start hearing that and you can tell that person already has put distance on metrics or at least language. The thing is most Porsche owners tick the Bose without even thinking about about it based on others saying that is terrible, or sales people saying do it for resale value or just to be safe, you can't go wrong with adding Bose. Very few here did what I did. I put a post here asking for someone that had a 718 with base radio so I could compare myself. OBJECTIVELY. I did not have a bias one way or another. I am embarrassed to say that I also was a minion prior to this exercise and was going to blindly tick the Bose box myself. There were ZERO base 718 radios to listen to and everyone had Bose. I have both my BMWs where I have Harmon Kardon option that was the same price as Bose so it's not because I am cheap but when I fell in love with the Cayman T because it is super focused with 20mm drop, with cloth seats and short shifter, I wanted to keep it as light as possible. So I did months of research on options and weight and I would only add options if they added more than the weight they added. The bigger tank adds more value to weight penalty because I love road trips. 18 way seats add a lot of weight and made no sense because the 2 ways were excellent and super comfortable for me so they added no value and a lot of weight. Then noticed that Bose had added an AMP, a subwoofer and slightly heavier speakers and when I listened to it, it was muted and didn't sound great. So I set about a 3 month ordeal to locate a 718 with a base radio that was next to a 718 with Bose. Finally my day came and the salesman had a 2018 with a base radio right next to a 718 with bose. I took a cd and spent an hour going between both cars. Immediately, the base radio was brighter. I listened to music and talk radio. It was way better on talk radio than bose. Then I tried music. The mids were washed out on the Bose. The highs were pretty high on the base and the bass was boomy but still sounded good. I turned down the treble on the base and base down slightly and my wife was outside the car telling me to get the Bose because it sounds better! I corrected her, honey this is BASE not BOSE. She said, oh, I like this better. I switched again and played with all these silly modes that Bose had and it was harder to operate as well. The Bass is a little tighter than the base and I would say point Bose, but overall it just didn't seem to be much better to offset $1000 and more importantly additonal weight when you are going for the lightest Cayman possible. So I objectively listened to both and even if you prefer one or the other, it was not a clear cut winner choice. As I said the base is NOT terrible and is very bright. The Bass on the on the base is Boomier than the Bose but overall it just sounds brighter and sound good with quick and simple adjustment of bass and treble to your liking that is harder on the Bose to do. So all I'm saying is try it for yourself like I did. Someone here said that my opinion is in the minority because overall I prefer the base to bose...well I am also in the minority that actually waited 3 months to listen for over an hour to two 718s side by side. I have also heard many say I had the base radio and it was terrible! Then I ask them in what car and 95% of the time they say some previous generation of the Cayman not the 718 so even there it's not an apples and apples comparison. I think if you actually listen to the both side by side and play with the settings, you will find many of you will change your opinions of both if you truly are objective. If you are an audiophile, take the $1000 and upgrade the speakers in the base radio and it might even be better than the bose because I was not impressed with it. Best of luck everyone. I think this is a blessing in disguise for many of you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
them in what car and 95% of the time they say
Yes, people just say stuff. I hear people say the base system is "Terrible". School shootings are terrible. the war in Ukraine terrible, you start hearing that and you can tell that person already has put distance on metrics or at least language. The thing is most Porsche owners tick the Bose without even thinking about about it based on others saying that is terrible, or sales people saying do it for resale value or just to be safe, you can't go wrong with adding Bose. Very few here did what I did. I put a post here asking for someone that had a 718 with base radio so I could compare myself. OBJECTIVELY. I did not have a bias one way or another. I am embarrassed to say that I also was a minion prior to this exercise and was going to blindly tick the Bose box myself. There were ZERO base 718 radios to listen to and everyone had Bose. I have both my BMWs where I have Harmon Kardon option that was the same price as Bose so it's not because I am cheap but when I fell in love with the Cayman T because it is super focused with 20mm drop, with cloth seats and short shifter, I wanted to keep it as light as possible. So I did months of research on options and weight and I would only add options if they added more than the weight they added. The bigger tank adds more value to weight penalty because I love road trips. 18 way seats add a lot of weight and made no sense because the 2 ways were excellent and super comfortable for me so they added no value and a lot of weight. Then noticed that Bose had added an AMP, a subwoofer and slightly heavier speakers and when I listened to it, it was muted and didn't sound great. So I set about a 3 month ordeal to locate a 718 with a base radio that was next to a 718 with Bose. Finally my day came and the salesman had a 2018 with a base radio right next to a 718 with bose. I took a cd and spent an hour going between both cars. Immediately, the base radio was brighter. I listened to music and talk radio. It was way better on talk radio than bose. Then I tried music. The mids were washed out on the Bose. The highs were pretty high on the base and the bass was boomy but still sounded good. I turned down the treble on the base and base down slightly and my wife was outside the car telling me to get the Bose because it sounds better! I corrected her, honey this is BASE not BOSE. She said, oh, I like this better. I switched again and played with all these silly modes that Bose had and it was harder to operate as well. The Bass is a little tighter than the base and I would say point Bose, but overall it just didn't seem to be much better to offset $1000 and more importantly additonal weight when you are going for the lightest Cayman possible. So I objectively listened to both and even if you prefer one or the other, it was not a clear cut winner choice. As I said the base is NOT terrible and is very bright. The Bass on the on the base is Boomier than the Bose but overall it just sounds brighter and sound good with quick and simple adjustment of bass and treble to your liking that is harder on the Bose to do. So all I'm saying is try it for yourself like I did. Someone here said that my opinion is in the minority because overall I prefer the base to bose...well I am also in the minority that actually waited 3 months to listen for over an hour to two 718s side by side. I have also heard many say I had the base radio and it was terrible! Then I ask them in what car and 95% of the time they say some previous generation of the Cayman not the 718 so even there it's not an apples and apples comparison. I think if you actually listen to the both side by side and play with the settings, you will find many of you will change your opinions of both if you truly are objective. If you are an audiophile, take the $1000 and upgrade the speakers in the base radio and it might even be better than the bose because I was not impressed with it. Best of luck everyone. I think this is a blessing in disguise for many of you.
thanks for the info. Very good points. I think I will have to hear it for myself like you did.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
262 Posts
Nice review Inigo. I wanted to do the same thing as you, but I wasn’t worried about how the steroes sounded parked side by side. I needed to hear them turned loud driving 80km/hr to make that choice and it just wasn’t a possibility. In the end I chose Bose for as you say, not taking a chance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you might be right here. I’ve had my car for one week now and put on 1000 kms already. When I ordered the car I could have selected the Bose but selected the Burmester instead. During the last week I was thinking that the Burmester didn’t sound any better then the Bose in my Macan. So I did a little research today to see if I could get an improved sound. After some adjustments and locating good quality sound I was blown away by the improved performance. It more then met my expectations. Now, I spend a lot of time on ferries,sitting in the car and a good sound system is more important to me then most people. For everyday driving probably the base would be more then adequate, so look at your listening habits to help you decide whether to go for the upgrade. I wouldn’t be too concerned that the Bose isn’t available

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice review Inigo. I wanted to do the same thing as you, but I wasn’t worried about how the steroes sounded parked side by side. I needed to hear them turned loud driving 80km/hr to make that choice and it just wasn’t a possibility. In the end I chose Bose for as you say, not taking a chance.
Yes, that makes sense and as I said, if I hadn't been so motivated to keep the car as lightweight as possible, I would've just check the box as well an not thought twice about it. I'm happy with the radio and feel great having my car as light as possible. What makes it interesting now is that it is not an option so just want to share with those that are concerned, that it was not that great for me. Same with the HID headlights, they are great as well. Now if they dropped the manual transmission, the short shifter from the T then the shoe would be on the other foot! : )

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think you might be right here. I’ve had my car for one week now and put on 1000 kms already. When I ordered the car I could have selected the Bose but selected the Burmester instead. During the last week I was thinking that the Burmester didn’t sound any better then the Bose in my Macan. So I did a little research today to see if I could get an improved sound. After some adjustments and locating good quality sound I was blown away by the improved performance. It more then met my expectations. Now, I spend a lot of time on ferries,sitting in the car and a good sound system is more important to me then most people. For everyday driving probably the base would be more then adequate, so look at your listening habits to help you decide whether to go for the upgrade. I wouldn’t be too concerned that the Bose isn’t available
Yes, all of them need adjusting. I have the treble about -4 and bass to around -3 and very happy with it.

One of the biggest issues with sound in the Cayman is not even the stereo or speakers, but the doors rattle with bass and that can happen with all of them. The single biggest upgrade you can do to any Cayman and Boxster, before even changing speakers is insulate the door for rattles. I have seen some point to the speakers for buzzing or rattling. More often than not, it is not the speakers, but the door panel and door hardware that rattles and buzzes. I can see that because the bass is boomy on the base radio and more of the bass comes from the door woofers, it could make the rattles more pronounced, possibly. The Bose and Burmeister have a subwoofer in the dash area that might take some of load off the door speakers, but that is not really the stereo's fault, it is the door hardware integrity. I wonder how many on this thread with Bose and Burmeister also get door hardware rattles with high bass songs like U2s With or Without You or Jethro Tull's Aqualung?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, all of them need adjusting. I have the treble about -4 and bass to around -3 and very happy with it.

One of the biggest issues with sound in the Cayman is not even the stereo or speakers, but the doors rattle with bass and that can happen with all of them. The single biggest upgrade you can do to any Cayman and Boxster, before even changing speakers is insulate the door for rattles. I have seen some point to the speakers for buzzing or rattling. More often than not, it is not the speakers, but the door panel and door hardware that rattles and buzzes. I can see that because the bass is boomy on the base radio and more of the bass comes from the door woofers, it could make the rattles more pronounced, possibly. The Bose and Burmeister have a subwoofer in the dash area that might take some of load off the door speakers, but that is not really the stereo's fault, it is the door hardware integrity. I wonder how many on this thread with Bose and Burmeister also get door hardware rattles with high bass songs like U2s With or Without You or Jethro Tull's Aqualung?
Haven't noticed rattles yet but will try your settings for improved sound

Thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
(y)
Haven't noticed rattles yet but will try your settings for improved sound

Thanks
Today I was playing with the sound listening to Sirius Radio and noticed that it has specific sound settings for Sirius as well as FM. Today I had it treble at -3 and bass at 0 on Sirius XM. On FM, I turned the bass down -2 and treble -3, but it can change slightly depending on the source of music. As I said, the base radio is not terrible, I am happy with mine but last week I was driving around with my 16 year old daughter and she plugged her iphone into the cayman. She started to play music from her phone which I hadn't done and it sounded really great. Much better than the FM or XM. I was really blown away because MP3 is a compressed lossy format. I had never played iPhone music before and it made the radio sound even better.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
iPhone not likely to be mp3, Apple Music has gone lossless (if configured) which makes it a good source. Lossless is ALAC format. Digital Audio gets complicated fast 😎
Sirius XM is poor quality.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts