Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
(y)

Today I was playing with the sound listening to Sirius Radio and noticed that it has specific sound settings for Sirius as well as FM. Today I had it treble at -3 and bass at 0 on Sirius XM. On FM, I turned the bass down -2 and treble -3, but it can change slightly depending on the source of music. As I said, the base radio is not terrible, I am happy with mine but last week I was driving around with my 16 year old daughter and she plugged her iphone into the cayman. She started to play music from her phone which I hadn't done and it sounded really great. Much better than the FM or XM. I was really blown away because MP3 is a compressed lossy format. I had never played iPhone music before and it made the radio sound even better.
You might find your sound will improve even more when using SD cards loaded with FLAC files. Your car has two SD card slots.

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
162 Posts
Yes, people just say stuff. I hear people say the base system is "Terrible". School shootings are terrible. the war in Ukraine terrible, you start hearing that and you can tell that person already has put distance on metrics or at least language. The thing is most Porsche owners tick the Bose without even thinking about about it based on others saying that is terrible, or sales people saying do it for resale value or just to be safe, you can't go wrong with adding Bose. Very few here did what I did. I put a post here asking for someone that had a 718 with base radio so I could compare myself. OBJECTIVELY. I did not have a bias one way or another. I am embarrassed to say that I also was a minion prior to this exercise and was going to blindly tick the Bose box myself. There were ZERO base 718 radios to listen to and everyone had Bose. I have both my BMWs where I have Harmon Kardon option that was the same price as Bose so it's not because I am cheap but when I fell in love with the Cayman T because it is super focused with 20mm drop, with cloth seats and short shifter, I wanted to keep it as light as possible. So I did months of research on options and weight and I would only add options if they added more than the weight they added. The bigger tank adds more value to weight penalty because I love road trips. 18 way seats add a lot of weight and made no sense because the 2 ways were excellent and super comfortable for me so they added no value and a lot of weight. Then noticed that Bose had added an AMP, a subwoofer and slightly heavier speakers and when I listened to it, it was muted and didn't sound great. So I set about a 3 month ordeal to locate a 718 with a base radio that was next to a 718 with Bose. Finally my day came and the salesman had a 2018 with a base radio right next to a 718 with bose. I took a cd and spent an hour going between both cars. Immediately, the base radio was brighter. I listened to music and talk radio. It was way better on talk radio than bose. Then I tried music. The mids were washed out on the Bose. The highs were pretty high on the base and the bass was boomy but still sounded good. I turned down the treble on the base and base down slightly and my wife was outside the car telling me to get the Bose because it sounds better! I corrected her, honey this is BASE not BOSE. She said, oh, I like this better. I switched again and played with all these silly modes that Bose had and it was harder to operate as well. The Bass is a little tighter than the base and I would say point Bose, but overall it just didn't seem to be much better to offset $1000 and more importantly additonal weight when you are going for the lightest Cayman possible. So I objectively listened to both and even if you prefer one or the other, it was not a clear cut winner choice. As I said the base is NOT terrible and is very bright. The Bass on the on thbase is Boomier than the Bose but overall it just sounds brighter and sound good with quick and simple adjustment of bass and treble to your liking that is harder on the Bose to do. So all I'm saying is try it for yourself like I did. Someone here said that my opinion is in the minority because overall I prefer the base to bose...well I am also in the minority that actually waited 3 months to listen for over an hour to two 718s side by side. I have also heard many say I had the base radio and it was terrible! Then I ask them in what car and 95% of the time they say some previous generation of the Cayman not the 718 so even there it's not an apples and apples comparison. I think if you actually listen to the both side by side and play with the settings, you will find many of you will change your opinions of both if you truly are objective. If you are an audiophile, take the $1000 and upgrade the speakers in the base radio and it might even be better than the bose because I was not impressed with it. Best of luck everyone. I think this is a blessing in disguise for many of you.
In the boxster/cayman you might have a point, I have the Bose on my 2018 718 CPO
males no difference with the top down.

in my 2015 MACAN S I stayed with the base, it was terrible
in my 2018 MACAN S I got the Bose. IT was somewhat better.
bottom line the PORSHE audio is terrible

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
1,194 Posts
Still on this thread, I have the Bose, it’s really good imho. It’s loud and decent and with my roof down, more then adequate for what I need. I did play with the settings, did get - for me - the ideal sound - I honestly cannot fault and is far better - again imho - than the burn thing I had in my last merc.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
262 Posts
Be careful how you read that graph. Firstly it looks like the scale is not A weighted (dBA) to account for the natural frequency response of the human ear. We do not hear linearly; we promote midrange frequencies and are less sensitive to lower frequencies since we are born. This graph is showing the "threshold" at which time you hear the particular frequency - and for reference normal speech is 84 dB IIRC. So what you need to see here is the changing relationship between the different frequencies as you age because aside from that you can just turn up the volume to compensate for hearing loss. So the take away is that as you age you lose the high frequencies. So for eg looking at the 50-59 line you see at 2k your at -14dB and at 6k your at -39dB, a difference of 14dB. In youth the difference is 8dB so a total loss of 7dB by 50 - 59. There is science to show that your body/brain can compensate for these losses and your perception of the frequency balance. Note that hearing loss is HEAVILY dependent on the environment your ears have been exposed to during your lifetime.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts