Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I have the 2.0 pdk base motor. Also, a newbie so forgive my ignorance, does the extra 50 hp really make a big difference?
Plenty of other threads elsewhere in the forum that discuss this. Please search for those first instead of hijacking this one. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I contacted one of the biggest providers of this equipment and the sales rep said flat out, he would not recommend using their product on a turbo-charged 718. He said turbo heat was a potential problem and "until these cars have been around a while and second-hand owners have installed ECU units with success," he would not go that route - especially since I paid for an extended warranty - which would probably be voided if anything went wrong. I was bummed because I SO want another 50 HP!
If you have an extended warranty, i agree that you should not get an ecu tune. You paid extra money that could be compromised by performing an ecu tune. However, many people have perfomed tunes on the 718 for the last 2-3 years. I think that your source just hasn't had much experience with the 718 platform. The 718 has just as much potential (if not more) than the VW golf or any other VAG product. The Suncoast car has been running a Cobb tune for a while now, and they push the 718 platform to the limits. They did experience some heat issues, but they have the most extreme scenario for a 718 on the track. I think if any of the rest of us have a 3rd radiator, we will be fine on the track with a properly configured ECU tune from companies like Cobb or APR.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the 2.0 pdk base motor. Also, a newbie so forgive my ignorance, does the extra 50 hp really make a big difference?
It is really the boost in torque that matters. But yes, unequivaolcally, it makes a big difference. I had two prior cars with ECU tunes and it made a DRAMATIC difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
I asked a question that was related to the topic sir.
No offense, but no, you kind of didn't. The topic is non-ECU-removal tunes. It is not 'is 50HP really worth it?'

The benefits of extra HP via a tune are discussed in innumerable other threads in this subforum. Your best approach on this forum (and any other forum) is to research the question first. Chances are, someone's asked the question before. That approach helps you, helps other forum members by keeping forum clutter down, and helps threads like this by keeping it on topic.

Thank you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I read those that are tuning in the 430hp are the ones having problems with the manual transmission, it's 3rd that goes. It's also been said that bad driving habits can also be a big part of it.

So if you own a 2.0 or 2.5S the power on the APR will be 400whp or less. You should be safe

I have the APR 400whp tune on my 718S with PDK she really moves now.
Cobb told me recently that the PDK in the 718S is the same one they use in the Macan Turbo S That's 434 HPs. He said it should be plenty stout even for the 410 HP that Cobb is promising for the 2.5T without ECU removal. Its right out of the box. They also said that Porsche might be able to tell if you reset to factory specs.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
Cobb told me recently that the PDK in the 718S is the same one they use in the Macan Turbo S That's 434 HPs. He said it should be plenty stout even for the 410 HP that Cobb is promising for the 2.5T without ECU removal. Its right out of the box. They also said that Porsche might be able to tell if you reset to factory specs.
Are you saying expect a better map from Cobb for the 2.5T engines in the (near) future?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts