Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I decided to join your community after a long time of silent reading in the background...
That being said, thanks for all the information that has been given and also thanks for your reports, photos and ideas...

I've been a very, very loyal Mercedes Benz customer for "ages", but decided it was time for a change. BMW, Audi and all the other usual suspects don't really hit the spot for me, which might explain the joy I felt when first spotting a 718 Cayman back in November 2016.

Long story short, I placed my order at the local Porsche dealership back in January 2017 and since that very day it has been nothing but waiting and being patient.
Unfortunately my delivery date just got changed from July 2017 to August 2017, which ( combined with other unpleasant incidents by the dealership ) kind of kills my overall experience.

Hopefully this very community will cheer me up somehow, the rest is clearly up to Porsche...
Cheers, TieGuy

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Wow--that's a l-o-n-g wait. Have you been given any reason?

I ordered my Boxster (and it was a right-hand-drive one--much 'rarer' than the normal leftie) and it was delivered here in Australia almost a fortnight ago. And it was in Emden in the first week of May.

Mine was certainly worth the wait, as frustrating as it was.

I've heard the factor is to be closed most of July and into early August so in some way the delay makes sense--but it's still l-o-n-g.

Have nice glass or two of wine, or some nice German beer, while you wait!

Greg

·
892 Posts
I echo Greg's comment, that really is a long wait & far in excess of U.K waiting times. Anyway welcome to the forum "TieGuy" & don't give up, it'll definitely be worth the wait in the end. I absolutely love Germany & have travelled the country fairly extensively (I actually lived at the military garrison of Rheindahlen in Monchengladbach for a couple of years as a kid). Stand outs for me are the fabulous cities of Berlin & Munich & the stunningly picturesque Moselle valley, but many other areas have great appeal as well. In what part of Germany do you live?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sheeesh, it takes 7 months to get delivery of a German car in Germany? I'd be going nuts over this. I'm sorry for the frustrating experience.

Hopefully, your enjoyment with the Cayman will be a reward for your patience.

Tell us about the car you ordered!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've read Tie Guy's post 5 times and I can't see where it says he's in Germany. I've tried inferring and still couldn't get there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys...

Thanks for the warm welcome and your pep talk. I do appreciate it.
I have to admit, it hurts at the moment... But I assume that's the normal reaction, isn't it?
Porsche called today and told me the car should be here in Berlin ( to answer Chilli's question ) by August 8th. 2017.

Actually that's not good news at all, since that is the day all the paperwork will get rolling. Unfortunately government offices are swamped here in
the German capital, so this will definitely take a while.
Anyway, there is no way around it - so I better make my peace with it...

To answer "capeli's" question, you can see my location on the left hand side below my avatar. @GregW: Nope, no explanation at all. The dealership told me it will take longer and that was it.
@Chilli: It's kind of refreshing to see how many people have been to the heart of Europe and therefore seem to like it here.
I agree, Germany has a lot to offer and is quite frankly worth a visit no matter what time of year.
My adventures in the U.K. have been sort of brief so far, I'm sorry.
In other words: I know my way around Heathrow airport. :)

Since photonscience asked about my order, here are some details.
I spend most of my life behind a desk and my vacations always take me around the globe by flying up in the air.
There is also no intention to take the 718 out on a race track, so I went for a black metallic NON-S Cayman.
That baby will roll on the 20" Carrera S wheels and I am really looking forward to the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe PDK.
I read a lot of good stuff about that technical masterpiece, so let's hope it's nothing but the truth...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've read Tie Guy's post 5 times and I can't see where it says he's in Germany. I've tried inferring and still couldn't get there.
Look at the left sidebar where it says "Location"
Thanks, I use "Enhanced Mobile View" on my phone, and location doesn't show up in that mode, if I exit out of that mode then I can see the location. I've always thought it would be useful to know where people are from. Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's been a long wait, but will be worth it nonetheless.

I'm with you on the usual suspects. I was due for a new car and couldn't get excited about anything until I started to think about the Cayman. Now I'm very excited! Mine is due in early Sept or possibly late August from the updates I'm getting.

I know your journey sucks, but it it looks like you are nearing the end. Have fun when you finally get it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hang in there it will be worth the wait.

I purchased my 718 Boxster (they had what i wanted on the lot) the day before i went on vacation and could not wait to get back to pick up my new 718. I think that was the 1st vacation (Hawaii) that i wanted to end quickly.

All I know is that once you get it, you will want to drive it everyday.

Congrats on the new purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations on your transition from the "Star" even if it continues to be a painfully slow one. I too have been a very loyal owner of the other great German car brand, BMW, and felt quite apprehensive about breaking that loyalty. But like you, I had a striking impression when I saw a 718 for the first time. At that time I had a 2014 BMW Z4 35is and was looking at trading it in for another BMW. But the new BMWs just didn't do much for me. It seems sometimes we keep buying the same thing because its easier and familiar and almost numbingly automatic, right? Thankfully I broke out of that trance and woke up to my first Porsche.

Its funny, I was a little sad when I had to let go of my Z4. I took this picture of the Z4 ready to leave me and you see in the middle garage the new 718S had taken the Z4's spot next to my older 3 series BMW. Now when I look at this picture, I find myself thankful that I got to drive the Z4 for a few years, but what a big leap forward the 718 is in overall driving experience. You'll love it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good morning!

Guys, I'm kind of speechless... Wow.
Thanks once again for the nice and warm welcome, I highly appreciate it.

The same goes for your pep talk, of course. If there is anybody out there who knows what waiting / suffering and day counting means... Well, then it is you guys.
Quite frankly your lines did put a smile on my face and made me forget about the latest news from my Porsche sales man.
@Nlongfellow: It seems you're also pretty close to your big day, keeping fingers crossed things will be in the book by August! :)
@geemman: Congrats on your baby and as we say over here: "Wishing you a pleasant and save ride from here on out". Funny that you mentioned your vacation, since that could become an issue for me as well.
I will be in Asia by the end of August 2017, which means there is a good chance for overlapping. Oh boy...

I took the liberty and visited the U.S. Porsche web site to enter my final configuration, so you guys can take a closer look. Turns out, there are some major differences between the 718 here in Europe and the one you guys get to buy in the U.S.
Believe it or not, but we have to pay to the alarm system and the cruise control for example. Sounds kind of unbelievable living in 2017, but it is nothing but the sad truth. :(

Anyway, the Porsche site came up with the following code: PJIJKI74
Feel free to look into that and let me know what you think.

This is me wishing everybody around here a great day or a good night sleep, depending on your location. ;)
TieGuy

·
892 Posts
what a big leap forward the 718 is in overall driving experience. You'll love it :)
If you're looking at it from a sports car perspective, then the Porsche 718 isn't a big leap forward in driving experience over a BMW Z4, it's an absolutely massive leap forward. The Z4 is certainly a nice looking car & in certain specs it has really good performance, but the handling on a twisting road leaves a great deal to be desired. The excess weight doesn't help much or the fact that some of it is too high & fitment of M-sport suspension on that model is an absolute disaster, though the ride is decent enough with the standard suspension. The more you get to drive your new car the more you'll appreciate just how big the gulf between them is. I would also point out that although it's not the main reason for buying a sports car the 718/982 Boxster or Cayman, just like the 981 model series before them are surprisingly practical. The amount of storage space given the type of vehicles they are is fantastic & you can easily fit enough luggage in either of them for a decent road trip or vacation. Contrast that to your old Z4 where the space was extremely limited & compromised with the roof in place & practically none existent with the roof down. Indeed the folding roof is all but useless if you regularly have to carry anything. I'm actually a fan of BMW's in general & there's a 2 series coupe nestling in the garage alongside my Boxster, but for me the Z4 is just too hopelessly compromised both as a sports car & in terms of practicality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good morning!

Guys, I'm kind of speechless... Wow.
Thanks once again for the nice and warm welcome, I highly appreciate it.

The same goes for your pep talk, of course. If there is anybody out there who knows what waiting / suffering and day counting means... Well, then it is you guys.
Quite frankly your lines did put a smile on my face and made me forget about the latest news from my Porsche sales man.
@Nlongfellow: It seems you're also pretty close to your big day, keeping fingers crossed things will be in the book by August!
@geemman: Congrats on your baby and as we say over here: "Wishing you a pleasant and save ride from here on out". Funny that you mentioned your vacation, since that could become an issue for me as well.
I will be in Asia by the end of August 2017, which means there is a good chance for overlapping. Oh boy...

I took the liberty and visited the U.S. Porsche web site to enter my final configuration, so you guys can take a closer look. Turns out, there are some major differences between the 718 here in Europe and the one you guys get to buy in the U.S.
Believe it or not, but we have to pay to the alarm system and the cruise control for example. Sounds kind of unbelievable living in 2017, but it is nothing but the sad truth.

Anyway, the Porsche site came up with the following code: PJIJKI74
Feel free to look into that and let me know what you think.

This is me wishing everybody around here a great day or a good night sleep, depending on your location.
TieGuy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its funny, I was a little sad when I had to let go of my Z4. I took this picture of the Z4 ready to leave me and you see in the middle garage the new 718S had taken the Z4's spot next to my older 3 series BMW. Now when I look at this picture, I find myself thankful that I got to drive the Z4 for a few years, but what a big leap forward the 718 is in overall driving experience. You'll love it :)
What a truly nice story, thanks for sharing Afiasi...
I find your words to be sort of wise and special, therefore thumb up from my end. I mean you took that photo ( lovely shot by the way ) and you're feeling grateful for your time with the Z4. I don't want to strike you as sentimental, but in my book that is pretty modest, smart and likeable.
Not to forget your remark on the big leap forward... :D

PS: Had some trouble getting my lines in here during the day, which explains the double post. Sorry for that.

·
892 Posts
Believe it or not, but we have to pay to the alarm system and the cruise control for example. Sounds kind of unbelievable living in 2017, but it is nothing but the sad truth.
As you stated the differences between the U.S & other countries is often quite major. But there are differences between the U.K & Germany as well. In the U.K an alarm is standard but cruise control isn't. Without looking at the German Porsche website I'm not sure what other differences there are but in general U.K standard equipment is much higher than the U.S. They don't even get a warning triangle & then get ripped off if they wish to fit one (Somewhere in the region of $76 if my serves me correctly).

·
Registered
459 Posts
I always found it weird that car makers did things differently like this especially during a time when products are made for the world an not anymore a few markets.

Unless down the road we will see very similar offerings across the world aside from the obvious.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
I always found it weird that car makers did things differently like this especially during a time when products are made for the world an not anymore a few markets.

Unless down the road we will see very similar offerings across the world aside from the obvious.
Here in Australia standard includes: heated seats and steering wheel, PCM with navigation, full alarm system, Bi-xenon headlights with PDLS, cruise control, digital radio, ParkAssist front and rear, 14-way seats, 2-zone climate control, large fuel tank, auto-dimming mirrors with rain sensor, ... (and of course the drivers side on the right).

My guess is that the country-specific Porsche importer decides standard on the basis of what is regularly ordered and on pricing issues.

Aussie Porsches are definitely "luxury" vehicles here as the base price (even a *real naked* specification) qualifies for our Luxury Car Tax, so some of the luxury items would be seen as essential despite the kick-up in price. Also Australia quotes prices as "drive-away" with all fees, taxes, and registration included.

Interestingly, as I configured cars in other countries the prices, (less taxes, preparation fees, etc. and with currency differences adjusted) were remarkably similar.

Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also Australia quotes prices as "drive-away" with all fees, taxes, and registration included.

Greg

I find that to be very fair and this is the way it should be in general.
What you see is what you get. And the big number on the bottom of the invoice is what you pay... No hidden fees, no fine print, but the complete package.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts