Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry all...most of this is technical, but I thought that one post would be better than several posts across the tech-specific sections. I'm looking at purchasing an Agate Boxster S model within the next few months, and am trying to determine if I can pickup a used model that will meet my needs, or do I need to order new. Here goes:

1. Sport Exhaust: For a car without the stock sport exhaust option, can/do aftermarket systems tie into an exhaust console button that you add, generally? I wasnt sure if the PCM wiring was present, and you just need to tie into it.
  2. PASM: I'm trying to balance this against future expenses long term. I plan to keep whichever car I purchase for a while, and I thought that PASM might add more complexity/repairs than worth it, over time.
  3. Porsche Connect: Does the Bose/Nav system have ANY mobile phone app functions at all stock, or must Connect/Connect Plus be purchased to get any of that? Could I add that AFTER purchase?
  4. 14/18-way seats: Are these a MUST have, or are the 2-way sport seats good enough?
  5. Seat ventilation: I've heard its pretty weak. Is it worth it at all really, on super hot days...or is it more gimmicky?
  6. Bordeaux red instrument dash cover: Does this color have dash reflection issues too? Would I regret having the red color stand out compared to the rest of the black dash top surface?
  7. Engine tuning: Is the community expecting tuners to push the flat four for even more performance, or has Porsche already wrung out just about as much performance as the platform can handle? Now that it's turbo, I thought that maybe some tuners will play with the 718 in a way that they couldn't with the NA flat six.

I'd love to get something pretty well optioned-out that was gently used/certified, to help bring the cost down to earth, a bit. My build (new) came to about $93K. Ouch.

Thanks for any tips/guidance you may provide. I'm super stoked for this next spring...hopefully I will be joining the rest of you lucky bastards. :laugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
1) I'm not too sure on that. Although I must say, the optional sports exhaust does sound great.
2) I have PASM and its great, I really enjoy it. The ride is very comfortable. Truthfully though, its not a necessity for every day use. So if it comes down to staying within your budget, you don't need it, but if you get it you'll love it.
3) I dont have Porsche connect and bluetooth does have all the phone functions you need. Calls pop up, texts pop up, and overall the bluetooth is more than adequate. I haven't had any issues with the GPS so far. Talking with other owners though, many agree that Porsche connect is great and easy to use, but even without it you can perform all the essential phone functions quite easily via bluetooth.
4)Its your choice. I love the 18 way seats. Try them all out by going to a dealership and sitting in them!
5) Its worth it. Feels great.
6) I believe there may be a reflection but someone else will have to confirm this. If you are getting black/bordeaux red partial leather, the dash is no longer red.
7) Techart has a tuning option that can boost the performance up to 400hp. The GTS has 365hp so Porsche did tune it up a bit as well. If you are patient, you can wait for the GTS to arrive and get a well spec'd performance car with great resale value without the need to add too many more options.

Take a look at the 'options' thread to get a better idea of what the community says are good features to add into the car. And keep an eye out for sales because I've seen some heavy spec 718's selling with considerable discounts. Good luck and hope you join the dark side by getting a 718! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I felt that the stock driving experience was sufficient for me and other than Sport Chrono, all my options were comfort related on my 718 Base. My only absolute required feature was cooled seats. In Arkansas in summer, it is stupid hot and I love the seats. I found the 14 way to be adequate in my test drive, but I have wondered if the better bolsters in the 18 way would hold me better when I am driving corners hard. Another option I really like is the LED headlights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question....with my Audis, the go-to ECU modifying software was VAG-COM by Rosstech. Is there a recognized "standard" for Porsche? (if at all)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Engine tuning: Is the community expecting tuners to push the flat four for even more performance, or has Porsche already wrung out just about as much performance as the platform can handle? Now that it's turbo, I thought that maybe some tuners will play with the 718 in a way that they couldn't with the NA flat six.
I think you're right cbr9racer that in theory a turbo engine (esp. one with VTG) provides more ECU controls for a tuner to harness -- and it's easier to increase peak hp with an ECU flash than to bore out cylinders....

However the two tuners we are aware of with published baseline dyno tests for the 718 S -- Cobb and AWE -- both suggest true crank hp around 400 from the factory. Not sure if you saw this thread: http://www.718forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/7570-718-2-5-400hp-factory.html

So I guess the question becomes, is one looking for more racing speed (on the strip or track) or just a higher-than-factory number for bench-racing/bragging rights (where the S already runs above its class, per thread above). Either way it appears the 718 S is a better starting point than the 981 GTS alternative you're considering Porsche Boxster GTS vs Porsche 718 Boxster S - FastestLaps.com even before the tuners tweak boost levels via ECU flash.

But I'd sure like to hear about your road tests with both, curious as to how your subjective impressions differ from the numbers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I was actually NOT aware that the 718 S HP number may be underreported. I have a friend with a 981 GTS, so I am familiar with that car, and I'm hoping to go drive a 718 this week. Good information, thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
[*]Porsche Connect: Does the Bose/Nav system have ANY mobile phone app functions at all stock, or must Connect/Connect Plus be purchased to get any of that? Could I add that AFTER purchase?
You can read/write SMS, answer phone calls, listen to music

[*]14/18-way seats: Are these a MUST have, or are the 2-way sport seats good enough?
I think the 2-way seats are excellent. Sporty feeling, nice material. I did not pay to change them and I have the 18-ways in the Macan for reference. I guess you should sit in them before you decide.

[*]Engine tuning: Is the community expecting tuners to push the flat four for even more performance, or has Porsche already wrung out just about as much performance as the platform can handle? Now that it's turbo, I thought that maybe some tuners will play with the 718 in a way that they couldn't with the NA flat six.
There is a company in Germany that has wrung alot more out of it. I expect we will see more tunes next spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am curious where there are sales. I have called two dealers who both indicated very little wiggle room on their inventory and miniscule movement from MSRP if i want to order a car??

·
Registered
310 Posts
So I am curious where there are sales. I have called two dealers who both indicated very little wiggle room on their inventory and miniscule movement from MSRP if i want to order a car??
Back in late August, and to my great surprise, I got a far superior deal in Los Angeles than I could get in the mid west (I live in LA but had a broker in Texas also helping me). The explanation I was given in LA for the great deal was that Porsche NA was forecasting a glut of 718s at the beginning of the year so they were pricing inventory to move. What was odd was that I got the same deal even though I ordered my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts