Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few photos from my recent-ish running-in road trip to Norway. We actually did it in September, but it's taken a while for me to post it up!

The car was on about 350 miles when we left and hit about 3400 miles on our return to the UK. I've got to say she is fabulous - fast, precise, comfortable and surprisingly practical. All in all a fantastic trip which i'd whole-heartedly recommend - Norway is so scenic.

Here is our route if of any interest:

Excuse my rather crappy photos

Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

Sky Vehicle Plant Car Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Mountain Sky Vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice. I spent some time in Norway back when the Harwich Esbjerg ferry was still running.

Stunning scenery, good roads in many regards. But speed limits are low and enforcement is seriously draconian.
Yes, it's a shame there are no direct ferries, we went Harwich - Hook.

Away from the main 'E' roads there seemed to be few cameras or police - some of the locals didn't hang around so it was quite useful following them. The Norwegians were generally good, considerate drivers.

I had heard about the police deploying unmarked cars with hand-held speed guns and did encounter one, but i was close to the limit so wasn't punished. Saying all this, 90kmh felt fast enough on some of roads!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Great photos, car and road trip. The route map was useful and your post has me thinking of Norway for next year as I have never been there. Is accommodation easy to find or does one really have to book well in advance?
Norway does have a reputation for strict and low ish speed limits so interesting that you did not find that much of an issue, I guess it is like most places and things are a little more flexible away from villages and “civilisation”. Scandinavia also has a reputation for sky high food, drink and hotel costs so it would be interesting to know how long you went for.
Looks like a fantastic trip, thanks for the post.
Thanks, yes accommodation was very easy to find we booked 3 main places (near to Alesund, Voringsfossen, Egersund) via airbnb, hotels (Bergen and a few places en-route) we booked via booking.com - all worked out well. There seemed to be a lot of options & availability, but bear in mind it was September so outside of their busy season. We booked about 3 weeks before our travels. Hotels & airbnbs prices were similar to the rest of Europe/ UK.

Regarding speed limits - yes they are extremely strict. However, it's a big country with few people, so once when we got away from the major routes, there were hundreds of miles of very quiet, well paved roads with very little in the way of speed enforcement... but the potential cost is always in the back of your mind so you have to stay vigilant!

Food/ drink - restaurants: ~ 50%(+) more than the UK. Beer about £10 pint (I paid £7 a pint in London recently so not too great a leap). We were away for about 2.5 weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great trip and route, but how could you drive past the foot of the Trollstigen without going up it?
Cheers, Google maps limits the number of stops to 10 so the route above is just the main route we took, there were a number of excursions one of which was Trollstigen - sadly bad weather on the day meant we couldn't appreciate the views so much!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I live in Norway 5 months a year and Florida the rest of the time. Unfortunately me 4.0 GTS Boxter lives in Florida. Every time I drive my 20 year old Subaru I wish I could bring my Porsche with me to Norway. By the way, E6 from Oslo to Hamer is 110 K and most driving 125. My local roads are 80 and that is all my Subaru can handle, but I get passed like i am standing still. Every one know where the cameras are. positioned.
That sounds like a great lifestyle, best of both worlds. You're right, on the back roads the locals didn't seem to care much for the limits! Good on 'em

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Looks amazing. The trip and the car. Congrats. I would love to get some detailed feedback and your thoughts on the car’s power and torque. Is it sufficient ? Enough power to do donuts on dry pavement? Can you spin tires if you floor it in first and second gear if you disable traction control? Please elaborate and give details on power specifically
Thanks. Not sure if being serious about the donuts - i've got not idea whether it would. Maybe go and get a test-drive and give the sales advisor a surprise when you try it - and please film it. :)

It's ~ 1400kg car with 400hp - it feels sufficient to me. In all seriousness, the torque was a real eye opener for me. Coming from a couple of bmw 6 cyl turbos I was expecting it to be lacking but the low down grunt is excellent. Top-end torque/ power is spectacular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts