Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Norway does have a reputation for strict and low ish speed limits so interesting that you did not find that much of an issue, I guess it is like most places and things are a little more flexible away from villages and “civilisation”. Scandinavia also has a reputation for sky high food, drink and hotel costs so it would be interesting to know how long you went for.
Looks like a fantastic trip, thanks for the post.
Everyone's interpretation of the situation and risk is different. But you can easily be in for £000's for speed only. I think they also threaten jail time, but for a country with one of the lowest rates of locking people up, I find that odd. I did see enforcement semi regularly even where you'd think you'd be safe - and my own personal experience was that in general people drive very "conservatively".

Not to take away from it being a wonderful trip, but it's not like France/Italy/Alps/etc for driving. My own personal feeling is that even Switzerland is substantially less likely to sting you.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Thanks for your beautiful pics...they bring back so many wonderful memories. Our last cruise, prior to the Covid infestation, covered much of the Norway coast and ended in Bergen. Before returning to the states, we traveled by train over the mountains for a few days in Oslo, then on to Stockholm for several more. The spectacular mountain roads viewable from the train had me drooling and wishing we were in our BS the entire time. Yours was definitely an awesome trip!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very nice spec, almost identical to mine (albeit mine is a base 718) and what a trip! I did myself a road trip through northern Norway last month (on a cheap rental car, though). Loved the scenery, but I fear this is the last place where I would like to enjoy a sportscar for the first time. Their hefty fines would put me off entirely! I had never driven in such a law-abiding way in my life! :ROFLMAO:
Truth be told, while driving across the Lofoten Islands we didn't encounter a single police car for days, but everybody seemed to drive with such regard for the speed limits that it really felt wrong to exceed those (not that the boring Suzuki Ignis asked for faster speeds)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Great photos, car and road trip. The route map was useful and your post has me thinking of Norway for next year as I have never been there. Is accommodation easy to find or does one really have to book well in advance?
Norway does have a reputation for strict and low ish speed limits so interesting that you did not find that much of an issue, I guess it is like most places and things are a little more flexible away from villages and “civilisation”. Scandinavia also has a reputation for sky high food, drink and hotel costs so it would be interesting to know how long you went for.
Looks like a fantastic trip, thanks for the post.
Thanks, yes accommodation was very easy to find we booked 3 main places (near to Alesund, Voringsfossen, Egersund) via airbnb, hotels (Bergen and a few places en-route) we booked via booking.com - all worked out well. There seemed to be a lot of options & availability, but bear in mind it was September so outside of their busy season. We booked about 3 weeks before our travels. Hotels & airbnbs prices were similar to the rest of Europe/ UK.

Regarding speed limits - yes they are extremely strict. However, it's a big country with few people, so once when we got away from the major routes, there were hundreds of miles of very quiet, well paved roads with very little in the way of speed enforcement... but the potential cost is always in the back of your mind so you have to stay vigilant!

Food/ drink - restaurants: ~ 50%(+) more than the UK. Beer about £10 pint (I paid £7 a pint in London recently so not too great a leap). We were away for about 2.5 weeks.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
85 Posts
Great trip and route, but how could you drive past the foot of the Trollstigen without going up it?

• Haha
Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Great trip and route, but how could you drive past the foot of the Trollstigen without going up it?
Cheers, Google maps limits the number of stops to 10 so the route above is just the main route we took, there were a number of excursions one of which was Trollstigen - sadly bad weather on the day meant we couldn't appreciate the views so much!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, yes accommodation was very easy to find we booked 3 main places (near to Alesund, Voringsfossen, Egersund) via airbnb, hotels (Bergen and a few places en-route) we booked via booking.com - all worked out well. There seemed to be a lot of options & availability, but bear in mind it was September so outside of their busy season. We booked about 3 weeks before our travels. Hotels & airbnbs prices were similar to the rest of Europe/ UK.

Regarding speed limits - yes they are extremely strict. However, it's a big country with few people, so once when we got away from the major routes, there were hundreds of miles of very quiet, well paved roads with very little in the way of speed enforcement... but the potential cost is always in the back of your mind so you have to stay vigilant!

Food/ drink - restaurants: ~ 50%(+) more than the UK. Beer about £10 pint (I paid £7 a pint in London recently so not too great a leap). We were away for about 2.5 weeks.
Thanks for the info, v useful, congrats on a great trip and your car looks great
Cheers

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
85 Posts
Cheers, Google maps limits the number of stops to 10 so the route above is just the main route we took, there were a number of excursions one of which was Trollstigen - sadly bad weather on the day meant we couldn't appreciate the views so much!
Thats great to hear, glad you made the diversion, its a special route. This is what it looks like on a sunnier day. And yes, I did cycle up it (and down it)!

Mountain Water Highland Natural landscape Terrain

Mountain Wheel Plant Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Wow! that must have been seriously hard work - well done! Cool photos too, thanks for adding them
Excellent photos!

Never felt like I was doing work on any beautiful 5000'+ vertical climb, even when near the end of a 6 hour day...provided the weather was decent. On the flip side, I've often questioned my sanity and thought process on blustery cold monsoon days, especially during endless downhills requiring little to no effort when it's effectively impossible to generate sufficient warmth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Norway 5 months a year and Florida the rest of the time. Unfortunately me 4.0 GTS Boxter lives in Florida. Every time I drive my 20 year old Subaru I wish I could bring my Porsche with me to Norway. By the way, E6 from Oslo to Hamer is 110 K and most driving 125. My local roads are 80 and that is all my Subaru can handle, but I get passed like i am standing still. Every one know where the cameras are. positioned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I live in Norway 5 months a year and Florida the rest of the time. Unfortunately me 4.0 GTS Boxter lives in Florida. Every time I drive my 20 year old Subaru I wish I could bring my Porsche with me to Norway. By the way, E6 from Oslo to Hamer is 110 K and most driving 125. My local roads are 80 and that is all my Subaru can handle, but I get passed like i am standing still. Every one know where the cameras are. positioned.
That sounds like a great lifestyle, best of both worlds. You're right, on the back roads the locals didn't seem to care much for the limits! Good on 'em

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks amazing. The trip and the car. Congrats. I would love to get some detailed feedback and your thoughts on the car’s power and torque. Is it sufficient ? Enough power to do donuts on dry pavement? Can you spin tires if you floor it in first and second gear if you disable traction control? Please elaborate and give details on power specifically

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks amazing. The trip and the car. Congrats. I would love to get some detailed feedback and your thoughts on the car’s power and torque. Is it sufficient ? Enough power to do donuts on dry pavement? Can you spin tires if you floor it in first and second gear if you disable traction control? Please elaborate and give details on power specifically
He's still running in the car and, furthermore, I assume most of the time he's spent driving her has been around a country with very strict traffic regulations and fines. Don't think he's been doing donuts precisely 🤣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who is doing donuts on dry surface? But yes, it will be able to.

Pretty much no, it won't spin the wheels in bone dry conditions in a straight line, without some clutch dropping. Maybe in cold conditions in 1st.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks. Not sure if being serious about the donuts - i've got not idea whether it would. Maybe go and get a test-drive and give the sales advisor a surprise when you try it - and please film it. :)

It's ~ 1400kg car with 400hp - it feels sufficient to me. In all seriousness, the torque was a real eye opener for me. Coming from a couple of bmw 6 cyl turbos I was expecting it to be lacking but the low down grunt is excellent. Top-end torque/ power is spectacular.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts