Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the spark plugs yesterday in my 2018 718 Boxster. There are some useful Youtube videos on the basics, so I won't repeat those. But, here are some I-hope-useful lessons.

1. It is an easy job to do with basic tools and I will not hesitate to do it again. It took me about two hours. The next time will be closer to one hour.

2. There is no need to remove any wheel well linings. Lift the vehicle onto jack stands, remove the rear wheels, and you're ready to begin.

3. There was some fair resistance removing the plugs. They have been in there for four years and 12,000 miles. I appreciate why Porsche recommends changing them frequently. I will change them again in two years. Porsche and Bosch recommend no anti-seize, so I did not use any.

4. The screws that hold the coil packs in place are Torx T-27. That is an unusual size. You will need a bit for your 1/4-inch ratchet.

5. The plugs can all be reached with a wobble-socket and a 6-inch ratchet extension. Two 3-inch extensions give a bit more flexibility. A short handle 3/8-inch ratchet, 6 inches or less in length, wll fit.

6. I put a little high-temperature silicone lubricant on the plugs' ceramic to ease them into the coil pack boots. I also put a little on the exterior of the coil pack boots to ease them into the plug bores and prevent seizing.

7. The three bolts that hold the right-side heat shield in place are 12 mm external Torx. I could not get the heat shield out of the vehicle, so I just bent it down out of the way and changed the plugs. I was able to reinsert only one bolt because the shield was bent. Doesn't look like a big deal.

8. There is no room for a torque wrench, so calibrate your arm for 20 foot-pounds before starting.

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT, BC coilovers , AP catback, MRR wheels, Softronic tune
260 Posts
I replaced my spark plugs this weekend. I am can echo your experience Russ. I was able to get a torque wrench on mine but required an interesting concoction with two swivels, a 3" and 8" 3/8 extensions. Not that bad to do, totally worth my time instead paying the $2k at my dealer.

Jewellery Wood Asphalt Body jewelry Twig

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same, but found no need to remove the passenger side heat shield. I simply removed the bolts and let it drop down and that provided sufficient clearance. A 3/8” torque wrench will fit. You just need to have a long extension. Tools used: T30 for coil bolts. E10 socket for heat sheild bolts. 12 pt. 14 mm thin-wall swivel socket for the spark plugs. Dielectric grease for the plug electrode and a little talc for the coil boots (per Porsche directions) Torque to 25 NM or 20#/ft. Took about 2 hours using a jack and stands, for safety.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The question, more specifically, is what publication might have the OP gotten this maintenance info from? Would that be accessible to others like myself?

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
408 Posts
Um, one car had T27 and the other T30 torx, interesting, I'll have to check first before doing it. I'm going to have the car up on my lift in a week to take the wheels off (new rubber being mounted and Can't bring car and the new tires to the dealer, so taking them off and using a bigger car LOL)

Mike

·
Registered
17 Boxster S 6M in Miami Blue
415 Posts
On the drinker's side the frontmost coil pack screw was challenging to remove because there was very little clearance to the frame rail. I wound up borrowing a 1/4" bitdriver ratchet from my neighbor and it was a breeze.

$16 for a spark plug is highway robbery.

·
Registered
17 Boxster S 6M in Miami Blue
415 Posts
I'd look for those directly, rather than fork out $19-$20 for the same plug that is Porsche branded
I tried, trust me. But NGK doesn't list them and there's no cross for the part number. Ultimately I bought them through FCP euro so that the next set will be free.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I tried, trust me. But NGK doesn't list them and there's no cross for the part number. Ultimately I bought them through FCP euro so that the next set will be free.
I wonder if Porsche has an agreement with the OEMs that Porsche has exclusive rights and not offering part # to consumer market?

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
604 Posts
NGK does list them on their site but there's no point in using that part number it doesn't cross reference well. It's $66 for four at Suncoast and $77 at FCP Euro although FCP-E has a much lower threshold to get free shipping so it balances out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I bought mine from suncoast since they have good and fast service. So much cheaper then having the dealer install them. I don’t mind paying a little extra for the knowing I have the correct part. Their prices are good too for Porsche parts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Depends on the dealer and location. I have heard $1600 - 3000, but that typically incudes most of the 4 year 36k mile service items. A independent shop can range from $250 - 700 depending on what other service items need to be done in addition to the plugs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts