Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
40 posts in, and nobody's yet mentioned the "interior wood package" - who wouldn't want mahogany trim and matching steering wheel? :cool:

Aluminium look fuel filler cap. It spends 99% of its life covered. Its not actually aluminium.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here are some of my (oddball) options:
View attachment 25518
1. Sport-Tex seats in Graphite Blue/Chalk
2. Miami Blue seat belts
3. Pedals and footrest in aluminum
4. Door handles in high gloss black
5. Supplemental safety bars in exterior color
6. Power folding exterior mirrors
7. 718 logo painted black
8. Interior trim in carbon fiber
9. Heated multifunction sport steering wheel in carbon fiber
10. Door sill guards in carbon fiber illuminated
That is a freaking lovely car. I love our painted side intakes but experimented on the configuration with leaving black but adding the black door handles. Your car confirms how nice that combo can look!? That and the restraint bars in body color make it exceptional!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
When messing around with the configurator I always wondered who would want to pay almost 700€ for the tinted rear lights. My CPO turned out to equip them. Absolutely love how they actually look on a Guards Red car with black wheels.

·
Registered
569 Posts
More choices I would avoid! The various loaner Macans I've driven have all had Enter&Drive. It scares me in too many ways to describe. Same with the multi-function wheel. I would much rather have a simple wheel for steering the car and nothing else.
Can you give me (us) a hint as to how the multifunction wheels scares you? Same for Entry& Drive? (The latter has two issues I'm aware of. It can provide a means to steal the car, and the trunks have a way of popping open when you wash the car. Anything else?)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oddball (fairly rare options) on Miami Blue Cayman GTS:

1. Gloss black painted door handles
2 Gloss black painted rear spoiler
3. Black anodized aluminum interior trim
4. Deviated stitching in racing yellow
5. Racing yellow seat belts
6. Upgraded xenon lights with black surround

Love them all even though all but the painted door handles are exorbitantly priced.

GTS comes standard with tinted tail lights. Would have paid to get them. I rank the tinted taillights above all six of the extra cost options listed above.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Can you give me (us) a hint as to how the multifunction wheels scares you? Same for Entry& Drive? (The latter has two issues I'm aware of. It can provide a means to steal the car, and the trunks have a way of popping open when you wash the car. Anything else?)
Enter&Drive scares me because when I walk away from the car I am never sure whether it is or isn't locked. I have to take on faith that it locks itself whan I walk away. There is no way to test by pulling on the door handle. I'm not going to read through the owner's manual for a loaner's feature that I don't have on my own car.

When I get into the car I usually have the key in my hand and then I have to put it somewhere in the car. (My own keyring holds the car fob and a house key. I pick it up as I leave the house, lock the house door, and approach the car with the key in my hand. Then I insert the key into the keyhole to start the car.) Typically I put the Enter&Drive fob into some little well in the console, but it doesn't necessarily fit very well and I'm afraid it will fall out and drop down beside a seat. Or I could put it on the passenger seat but them I'm afaid it will slide onto the floor if I brake hard for some idiot on the highway. Granted I could just leave it in my pocket but I don't walk around the house with a clunky key fob in my pocket. So I always have the key in my hand as I approach the car. Finally, I am afraid I will forget the key when I leave the car. That will leave the car unlocked with the virtual key in it. Or it will lock itself with the key in it. I really don't know what it will do. Either way, it's a problem.

The multi-function steering wheel is a case of "too much stuff". When I'm driving I like to focus on the driving. Trying to use one of the buttons means selecting the right one and/or rotating it in the right direction. Perhaps I'd eventually learn which buttons do what but mostly it's too much. It's like the computer programs which try to "help" me by giving me a million shortcut keys. I accidentally touch one and boom something changes and I have no idea what I just did. If the various functions are on separate stalks which require dedicated and obvious actions then there is no confusion. Many of those functions are things I don't need to do very often anyway, such as the Sport button. The only steering wheel function on my Caravan which I wouldn't mind having in the Porsche is volume control. And I can live without that. Otherwise, keep the fluff stuff away from my hands and my mind.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
We have very different standard levels here in Australia so I'm not going to try and decode the differences between countries.?
Comments, however--
I have no trouble at all with the standard gauges, but I understand the GTS has a different standard, and the white gauges I've had were distracting while I focussed on the road.
PDLS is great, I've heard that the PDLS+ is even better but it was very pricey and I don't drive a lot at night in bad weather. (We don't have much bad weather here.?)
Climate control is useful as my daughter loves it at least 5°C colder than I do and I like having the controls be "set and forget".
I use the multi-function wheel all the time, and the sport wheel felt better in my hands.
I didn't even consider Entry & Drive. It's not my style.

I suggest you try what you can and do your best for your preferences about the ones you can't try.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The trunk/frunk opening issue is easily mitigated by just setting the fob down and away from the car, but how is it a means of stealing the car? The fob needs to be inside the cabin of the car in order for it to start. Is there something else than can be done?

Love the MFSW especially the volume controls for the radio.

·
Registered
932 Posts
@jimmuller The fob is never in my hand with E&D. It's in my pocket where it will never be lost, misplaced or left on the bar ;) I don't have it set to automatically lock. I have to touch the door handle before walking away from the car to lock it. A chirp announces to me the car is locked. However sometimes I'm wearing sweatpants and a T with no pockets, so I stick the fob in the door stash. The car will not lock if the fob is inside the cabin. I've tried. This is the same on my Ram truck. I don't have any type of leather pouch or other cover for the fob. It's nice and slim as is and fits nicely in my pocket. I also have the roof module. A very worthwhile investment for US Boxster owners. I have the top down most times when weather permits. With the module, the roof is raised, the windows closed and doors locked with a single push of the button. (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered my Cayman with manual transmission, PTV, PASM and Sport Crono - not an easy combination to find from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I do love PE&D but partly because this car is a toy and it rarely gets parked anywhere other than it's place in our underground garage. Agree with all @GTS18BGTS states. One issue easily addressed is accidental/inconvenient opening of frunk/hatch while washing, etc. I always have a small Faraday pouch in the glove box and a larger Faraday pouch in my condo for key storage. Key in the pouch makes the key "not present" which is handy during washing and if I want to remove the key stub in the ignition by placing my key in the pouch and turning the stub three times to pop it out (for valet usage, for example). The indoor larger pouch is to thwart the possibility of the signal being hijacked and used to steal the car. I don't think it can be easily done, but why worry? (Imagine Alfred E. Newman.)

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
569 Posts
Enter&Drive scares me because when I walk away from the car I am never sure whether it is or isn't locked. I have to take on faith that it locks itself whan I walk away. There is no way to test by pulling on the door handle. I'm not going to read through the owner's manual for a loaner's feature that I don't have on my own car.

When I get into the car I usually have the key in my hand and then I have to put it somewhere in the car. (My own keyring holds the car fob and a house key. I pick it up as I leave the house, lock the house door, and approach the car with the key in my hand. Then I insert the key into the keyhole to start the car.) Typically I put the Enter&Drive fob into some little well in the console, but it doesn't necessarily fit very well and I'm afraid it will fall out and drop down beside a seat. Or I could put it on the passenger seat but them I'm afaid it will slide onto the floor if I brake hard for some idiot on the highway. Granted I could just leave it in my pocket but I don't walk around the house with a clunky key fob in my pocket. So I always have the key in my hand as I approach the car. Finally, I am afraid I will forget the key when I leave the car. That will leave the car unlocked with the virtual key in it. Or it will lock itself with the key in it. I really don't know what it will do. Either way, it's a problem.

The multi-function steering wheel is a case of "too much stuff". When I'm driving I like to focus on the driving. Trying to use one of the buttons means selecting the right one and/or rotating it in the right direction. Perhaps I'd eventually learn which buttons do what but mostly it's too much. It's like the computer programs which try to "help" me by giving me a million shortcut keys. I accidentally touch one and boom something changes and I have no idea what I just did. If the various functions are on separate stalks which require dedicated and obvious actions then there is no confusion. Many of those functions are things I don't need to do very often anyway, such as the Sport button. The only steering wheel function on my Caravan which I wouldn't mind having in the Porsche is volume control. And I can live without that. Otherwise, keep the fluff stuff away from my hands and my mind.
Excellent. All good points about E&D, plus the issues I mentioned in my question. I have it, suffer all the same concerns, but would still buy it again for what it does well. At the same time, I certainly understand others opting out.

Of course your concerns with the MF wheel are valid as well. I own it and would argue that at a minimum it's the lesser of two evils. There's not much room for my hand between the PDK shifter and the radio controls, and having controls on the wheel allows me to keep my eyes on the road as well. But once again, I understand others opting out. In general, the fewer the buttons the better in my book. (Ironically, I hate the PCM touchscreen - all car touchscreens - but that's a comment for another post another day.)

·
Registered
569 Posts
The trunk/frunk opening issue is easily mitigated by just setting the fob down and away from the car, but how is it a means of stealing the car? The fob needs to be inside the cabin of the car in order for it to start. Is there something else than can be done?

Love the MFSW especially the volume controls for the radio.
I have E&D and like it, but it's not without its drawbacks. Yes, I can leave the key elsewhere when washing my car, but I don't always remember. I deal with it, and would buy it again.

Regarding theft of the car, google and read about cloning electronic key fobs. In fact, I think I've read quite a bit about it on this forum as well.

I agree with your thoughts on MFSW for controlling the radio particularly.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have E&D and like it, but it's not without its drawbacks. Yes, I can leave the key elsewhere when washing my car, but I don't always remember. I deal with it, and would buy it again.

Regarding theft of the car, google and read about cloning electronic key fobs. In fact, I think I've read quite a bit about it on this forum as well.

I agree with your thoughts on MFSW for controlling the radio particularly.
I just searched the idea. It seems that at one time it was somewhat possible, even for fobs that didn't have remote locking but the type where one needs to press the lock button on the fob as well. Thieves would either gain the access code with some type of reader that was nearby and or actually block the signal, preventing the car from being locked. However the technology for the keys have changed. They now use random generated codes so it's never the same. At least that's what I was able to glean from the search.

So even if one doesn't have E&D, a signal from a device can theoretically unlock the car as most all cars now have a fob that when a button is pushed, will unlock the car. There's no defending against that if the thief has some kind of device that can duplicate a code to unlock the car. Our E&D fobs use RFID which I guess is always being transmitted. If you're concerned, a faraday cage fob holder can be purchased to block the signal. But I think the likelihood of a car being stolen this way, is very REMOTE :) Most will used some form of forced entry - window breaking or jimmying the lock somehow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Enter&Drive with the memory package. Best thing since sliced bread.

I get in, turn the key, and everything moves into position. It's like the car is saying, "Welcome back. I'm ready". The feeling of affinity is instant. I love it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
40 posts in, and nobody's yet mentioned the "interior wood package" - who wouldn't want mahogany trim and matching steering wheel? :cool:

Aluminium look fuel filler cap. It spends 99% of its life covered. Its not actually aluminium.
I don't think I've ever seen a Boxster or Cayman with the interior wood package. Truly unique!

The aluminum look filler cap is expensive for what it is, but it makes me smile every time I refuel my car.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Entry & Drive must be the one single option in any car that would make me not buy it. I have walked away buying good other cars because they were coming with that option.
Seeing how dead easy it is to steal a car with Entry & Drive is a big no thank you for me. + I know I wouldnt feel good leaving my car without locking it myself and then checking the door is well closed by pulling the handle, twice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sadly, I don't have PS&D; so I don't have much experience with it. Maybe Porsche E&D is just plain bad (I honestly don't know) or maybe people who've never spent time reading the manual just don't know how to use it properly or don't know the different ways to use it. I will say this, prior car was a 2009 Nissan 370Z which came standard, yes standard with, and I just looked this up.

NISSAN INTELLIGENT KEY
With your Nissan Intelligent Key in your pocket or purse, you can unlock the door or hatchback just by tapping a button on the vehicle. [you could also lock/unlock car with button on the keyfob]
PUSH BUTTON IGNITION
Adrenaline on tap. Nissan Intelligent Key® lets you start your Z with the push of the button. Tap it again, and the engine turns off.

Nothing could be easier. I used it daily for 11 years and it is second nature to me now. It feels very very old school to have to dig the key out of my pocket to unlock the car and then use it to start the car (although there is a certain nostalgic feel about turning the key and turning the car over -- even if it is all done electronically anyway now). With the Nissan, I never took the key out of my pocket. Period. Full stop.

But hey, to each their own.

·
Registered
347 Posts
And it doesnt bother you that devices that extend the signal of your key and then can unlock the car with it are very easy to obtain nowadays?Basically any car with any entry and drive system might as well be left unlocked with key inside as it makes little to no diference when it comes to stealing it. Forget to put the key in a faraday cage, poof car gone.
The way I see it.

I'm really curious, before I allways assumed people who have those system in their car just don't know how they work and how easy it is to go arround for stealing the car.
That thread seem to show that actually some people who have that system are aware of it but just dont mind it (or maybe live somewhere car teft is not much of an issue?)

41 - 60 of 110 Posts