Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, I guess a lot of us don't live in areas where car theft is a problem. Until I just did a little googling, I did not realize that it appears to be such a prevalent problem in the UK.

As to how secure specific key fobs from specific car manufacturers are, as I said, I did a little googling and there's not a ton out there other than one recent test study that tested a few German manufacturers (Keyless Car Security Vulnerabilities Tested). Porsche not included, unless Porsche uses the same system that's on the Audi.

Follow up question, mentioned above, I think: how secure is the signal transmitted by my keyfob to the car when I click to unlock/lock the doors? Can it not be recorded and then used against the car again later? I have the same fear about the signal my car's built in HomeLink (or the old school visor remotes) send to my garage to open/close that; frankly I just assume that if someone with enough interest wanted to get inside my garage (and therefore arguably my home) then they could easily do that by just sitting outside my house and recording that signal. Or do all those systems use some kind of an ever changing/rolling code? I'm sure that could be hacked as well. Anyways, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this or educate me to the contrary one way or the other.

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I don't think that recording the signal from your keyless entry fob or Homelink can be used straight up to remotely open your car or garage door. The communication is encrypted with a rolling password that cannot be broken by having one, two or a hundred records of the lock/unlock.

The old style garage door openers, with the DIP switches, had a 'fixed' password, so to speak, and (although not familiar with the technique) could probably be broken, since the same password was used every time.

I am not sure what kind of technology is available in various nefarious sites and whether it can break the rolling combinations used, but I don't think that it is that easy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
And it doesnt bother you that devices that extend the signal of your key and then can unlock the car with it are very easy to obtain nowadays?Basically any car with any entry and drive system might as well be left unlocked with key inside as it makes little to no diference when it comes to stealing it. Forget to put the key in a faraday cage, poof car gone.
The way I see it.

I'm really curious, before I allways assumed people who have those system in their car just don't know how they work and how easy it is to go arround for stealing the car.
That thread seem to show that actually some people who have that system are aware of it but just dont mind it (or maybe live somewhere car teft is not much of an issue?)
I don't doubt there's some added risk - or maybe the technology has advanced such that theft is no longer an issue - but I can say I've had my 718 with E&D for two years now and in my real world experience I've always found it just where I parked it! Perhaps I've dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I don't doubt there's some added risk - or maybe the technology has advanced such that theft is no longer an issue - but I can say I've had my 718 with E&D for two years now and in my real world experience I've always found it just where I parked it! Perhaps I've dodged a bullet.
Must be an amazing technology. I can never find where I parked my car in a busy shopping mall... :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
And it doesnt bother you that devices that extend the signal of your key and then can unlock the car with it are very easy to obtain nowadays?Basically any car with any entry and drive system might as well be left unlocked with key inside as it makes little to no diference when it comes to stealing it. Forget to put the key in a faraday cage, poof car gone.
The way I see it.

I'm really curious, before I allways assumed people who have those system in their car just don't know how they work and how easy it is to go arround for stealing the car.
That thread seem to show that actually some people who have that system are aware of it but just dont mind it (or maybe live somewhere car teft is not much of an issue?)
It's actually easy to force the car to ignore the radio signal and require you to use the FOB. That eliminates that threat when you're in an area where you might worry. Locking is easy - touch the handle, the car does its thing and pings to let you know it's done.

·
Registered
278 Posts
YES.

Also, not oddball, but I think it would be rude not getting colored seatbelts.
Agreed, don’t miss the chance, I got the yellow ones to go with yellow dials and sports chrono. My 2 grandsons always mention my yellow seatbelts and dials whenever in someone else’s car ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rear wiper, torque vectoring on nom-GTS, and power folding side mirrors are all very uncommon. Please get the power folding side mirrors! They do alter the the style of the mirror stalks like on the 911.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's actually easy to force the car to ignore the radio signal and require you to use the FOB. That eliminates that threat when you're in an area where you might worry. Locking is easy - touch the handle, the car does its thing and pings to let you know it's done.
I thought it would be good to follow this up with a description of how to actually do that. Unfortunately, I can't find it now in my online manual. I'll go by memory and someone with their car available can try it and confirm.
It's simple. Lock the door using the the key FOB, not the PE&D button. Within a couple seconds, hit the FOB lock button again. I believe the car will chirp a couple times and PE&D is now disabled. Check by trying to get in the car. It should not open.
Someone please try and let us know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The way I see it.

Guy around the corner from me, had his vehicle (along with all his tools) stolen from outside his house, broad daylight mid-morning - its so quick and effective. He's now got no way to work, and has an insurance excess to deal with, and is distraught. Yet these systems are supposedly there for convenience. What was so bad about an actual physical lock?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I thought it would be good to follow this up with a description of how to actually do that. Unfortunately, I can't find it now in my online manual. I'll go by memory and someone with their car available can try it and confirm.
It's simple. Lock the door using the the key FOB, not the PE&D button. Within a couple seconds, hit the FOB lock button again. I believe the car will chirp a couple times and PE&D is now disabled. Check by trying to get in the car. It should not open.
Someone please try and let us know.
Kind of un-does the convenience of the option. "remember to hop on one foot as you exit". I don't like exceptions to procedures. They are error prone for a guy like me with ADD and an attention span of two seconds (as noted by many of my teachers).

·
Registered
916 Posts
The way I see it.

All I can find are tests by ADAC and they did not include Porsche in either the 123 or so car brands that are susceptible and the few that aren't. What recent test results have you seen that included Porsche in their testing? I'm rarely in a position to not be in my car driving when out with my car, and I do use Faraday pouches (home storage and other specific times).

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well if anyone has a connection to the insurance industry, they can probably provide more insight to the E&D issue, with numbers. Insurers have a lot of skin in the game, so E&D would certainly be on their radar if it were a real problem.

I had a vehicle stolen around 2005. It was a Tony Soprano Tahoe. Stolen from in from the of the house. They used some kind of device that ripped the lock cylinder right out of the door. The truck was found in another borough burned to a crisp. Forced entry is how most cars are stolen here in the US - window broken, door jimmied, etc. I guess thieves here are not as sophisticated as their European brethren if cars across the pond are being stolen with electronic devices vs forced entry.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Kind of un-does the convenience of the option. "remember to hop on one foot as you exit". I don't like exceptions to procedures. They are error prone for a guy like me with ADD and an attention span of two seconds (as noted by many of my teachers).
I look at this as a nice feature for when you are forced "into the wild". I've never used it except to try it out in our garage. It does allow you to easily prevent the type of theft that was being discussed. You can put your FOB in a Faraday cage to achieve the same effect. I have one of those also but think I prefer the double-tap lock method since this actually disables the PE&D communications with the car.
MOO

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had a vehicle stolen around 2005. It was a Tony Soprano Tahoe. Stolen from in from the of the house. They used some kind of device that ripped the lock cylinder right out of the door. The truck was found in another borough burned to a crisp. Forced entry is how most cars are stolen here in the US - window broken, door jimmied, etc. I guess thieves here are not as sophisticated as their European brethren if cars across the pond are being stolen with electronic devices vs forced entry.
The US was late coupling the engine lock to an immobilizer. You could break the steering lock with a large screwdriver and hot wire a car like in the movies. Maybe you still can, who knows... Our neighbor has a mid-teens BMW, he locked the car and left for a trip, came back, no battery. Took him and another neighbor a couple of hours, just to unlock the car and get to the battery, there were so many interlocks to be defeated.

For my 2001 Mercedes, they told me that the car interrogates the key every so often (similar to our key) while the car is running. It is not as easy, as recording the signal from the FOB. If the FOB has a rolling combination and it is interrogated while driving, it would be impossible to steal the car.

Keep in mind that the single biggest problem to tuning our 718s is/was the fact that signals in the car's network are encrypted with a strong encryption. I would think that Porsche spent some time preventing the thieves from using the PE&D.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What was so bad about an actual physical lock?
Nothing. But they were stolen, too. Thieves have a way of stealing things, regardless, like replacing column-lock cylinders.

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
231 Posts
when I walk away from the car I am never sure whether it is or isn't locked
I always know my car is locked because I tap the top of the door handle to lock the car before walking away. I wasn't even aware that the car would lock itself if i walked away.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The trunk/frunk opening issue is easily mitigated by just setting the fob down and away from the car, but how is it a means of stealing the car? The fob needs to be inside the cabin of the car in order for it to start. Is there something else than can be done?
My SA talked me out of entry & drive (so I could put the $ toward more important options). Got me wondering though, I realize this would apply to me and like 4 other people in the world, but how would entry and drive react to a car cover? Would the trunk & frunk always be open?

FWIW, my 07 MX-5 had keyless entry and I loved it. My 19BS doesn't and oddly I don't miss it. Even kind of like pulling the key out of my pocket.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wasn't even aware that the car would lock itself if i walked away.
I'm pretty sure it does not do that by default or that parameter needs to be set in the PCM. I know my car does not lock automatically. I think I may have disabled that option in the PCM when going thru the menus. I'll check later.

My SA talked me out of entry & drive (so I could put the $ toward more important options). Got me wondering though, I realize this would apply to me and like 4 other people in the world, but how would entry and drive react to a car cover? Would the trunk & frunk always be open?

FWIW, my 07 MX-5 had keyless entry and I loved it. My 19BS doesn't and oddly I don't miss it. Even kind of like pulling the key out of my pocket.
Why would a car cover interact with E&D? Do you mean if you have the fob present and you're putting the cover on, the lids will open? Maybe. But simply pushing them down, will take care of that.

With E&D you always have the option of using the fob to lock and unlock the car as you would without it.

I have three vehicles. Two have E&D - the Boxster and Ram. The 350Z, being 16 years old, does not have it. I find myself reaching for the door handle when returning to the Z and then realize I need the key to open it lol It's a bummer when I have a few bags of groceries and it's raining and have to put them down on the wet pavement to reach into my pocket for the key and fob. I guess we form habits and find them difficult to break. I would miss E&D and happy the prior owner chose it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
All I can find are tests by ADAC and they did not include Porsche in either the 123 or so car brands that are susceptible and the few that aren't. What recent test results have you seen that included Porsche in their testing? I'm rarely in a position to not be in my car driving when out with my car, and I do use Faraday pouches (home storage and other specific times).
I am not really looking into the brands. Just the tech. The key has to send a signal to the car to unlock it and drive away. If there is a signal it can be intercepted and used.
On the figures I seen I remember Range Rovers were coming back often on the most stollen car brands (and that marked me because I did own a Range Rover, not with entry and drive though), but then Porsches, while not rare cars, are much much much less numerous on the road than most so it'd still make sense that comparatively very few of them get stollen, not enough to appear in stats, the tech still remain fundamentally the same though , signal > intercepted > stollen > curlling in a ball and crying .

61 - 80 of 110 Posts