Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not really looking into the brands. Just the tech. The key has to send a signal to the car to unlock it and drive away. If there is a signal it can be intercepted and used.
On the figures I seen I remember Range Rovers were coming back often on the most stollen car brands (and that marked me because I did own a Range Rover, not with entry and drive though), but then Porsches, while not rare cars, are much much much less numerous on the road than most so it'd still make sense that comparatively very few of them get stollen, not enough to appear in stats, the tech still remain fundamentally the same though , signal > intercepted > stollen > curlling in a ball and crying .
As a former salesman of aftermarket vehicle security you're not 100% accurate. In essence Keyless entry or E&D makes gaining entry to the vehicle a little easier - on the basis that the car is always 'looking' for it's key(s). So a thief with the right equipment can scan your key in your house and 'relay' it to the car. Once the car is open they can then get access to the OBD port and program new keys.

With non-Keyless entry vehicles the code that is transmitted by the key changes every single time the remote control is pressed, and the codes are pseudo-random (they can't ever be truly random). So you can press the remote, record the code, and replay it - and it still would not open the car. I won't give more details on this, but wholly expect the vehicle's ECU is programmed not to accept data via the OBD port whilst an original programmed key is not in or near the ignition, hence why new remotes cannot be programmed in.

With regards to Keyless, a group of hackers advised a number of manufacturers that they had broken their security, and wanted a nominal sum to provide details on how, but the manufacturers would not accept this information, nor pay for it, and the rest as they say is history, sadly.

As for being able to program keys in using the OBD - sadly that's all part in fault of do-gooders in the EU, and them not understanding the relationship between consumer choice, and vehicle theft. Long story.

·
Registered
253 Posts
on the basis that the car is always 'looking' for it's key(s). So a thief with the right equipment can scan your key in your house and 'relay' it to the car. Once the car is open they can then get access to the OBD port and program new keys.
So where am I not being accurate ? The key is sending a signal to the car, those devices extend said signal which is used for stealing. Sure they might do this or that after, this is still first using the signal the key is sending as the very basis - leaving the car pretty much defenseless. This is also what you are saying (?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is nothing if not a combo of oddball options. I’m the second owner but the original person who spec’d the car did an awesome job.
  • Carrara White vs plain white
    Bordeaux/Black full leather interior
  • White gauges
  • Guards Red seatbelts (which actually compliment the Bordeaux red seats more than I expected)
  • Heated multifunction GT steering wheel
  • Tinted taillights
  • High gloss black door handles
The rest of the options are pretty standard with the premium packages, porsche connect and what not but the oddball ones really make me love the car so much more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So where am I not being accurate ? The key is sending a signal to the car, those devices extend said signal which is used for stealing. Sure they might do this or that after, this is still first using the signal the key is sending as the very basis - leaving the car pretty much defenseless. This is also what you are saying (?)
The non keyless entry vehicles remote signal cannot be cloned, end of. Or rather, if it is cloned it will not open the vehicle. Keyless and non-keyless cannot be considered the same, they most certainly aren't from a security perspective.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The non keyless entry vehicles remote signal cannot be cloned, end of. Or rather, if it is cloned it will not open the vehicle. Keyless and non-keyless cannot be considered the same, they most certainly aren't from a security perspective.
Ho yes, I never talked about the non keyless or cloning a signal, only extending the signals of keyless ones : ) Unless I misunderstood something very badly and the Porsche E&D is also non keyless.

Frankly keyless is the exact opposite of my ideal parking option :

·
Registered
20 Posts
This isn't really an option , however it is pretty quirky and odd feature that I found funny.

Doing laundry the other day, put my pants into wash and then dryer. Keep hearing clunk clunk clunk in the dryer - didn't sound right, but I just ignore. After dryer stops, remove dry pants from dryer to find my KEY FOB had just been violently washed and tossed around in the dryer - still in my pant pockets. Inspect it - looks intact, a little wet. So I set aside the fresh and clean key fob for about a week just to let it dry before I try it again for fear of short circuits / toasting it. Tried it out just now, and I'm proud to say the key fob is working normally.

There you have it! Our key fobs have built-in impact, heat, and water resistance!!! At no extra charge!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I prefer to start the Cayman with a real key. Feels like I'm more engaged with the car experience ( ;) I see that some people say that about the MT). Wife's Macan has entry and drive, and locking it is a bit weird. On the driver's side need to use my right thumb, because when I use the left it gets confused and thinks I want to open it. Learned the trick from someone else with a Macan. It was getting very annoying.

When I picked options I paid little attention to interior looks, but more attention to interior feel. Hence the standard interior in agate gray with 14 way heated seats.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Adaptive Cruise, LED Headlights and Blind Spot Warning.
My wife's oddball must was leather sun visors (in addition to the full leather package.

·
Super Moderator
1,726 Posts
Don't be ashamed! While expensive for what they are, I think exterior-color headlight washers are a must! I feel the same way about the side intakes, and while I'm at it, the front and rear fascia (although I admit those last two make less of an overall impact than the intakes and washers.)

While I wouldn't put 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus in the oddball column, they're not commonly ordered but are a must-have for me.

I also find PASM and, of all things, Automatic Climate Control are must-haves.
This was a MUST do for me. I hate, hate, HATE exterior chrome in most places. Almost all of my exterior options aimed to eliminate that from the stock car:
  • headlight washer nozzles in body color
  • '718' designation in body color (I had 'Cayman' left off. Maybe that's oddball?)
  • tinted rear lights (I have a base 718. The 'tinted' rear lights are standard on the GTS, and were offered as an option starting with the 2018 model. Mine was one of the first U.S. cars with 'em)
  • black chrome exhaust tips
  • PDLS+ headlights (Has a mostly black interior housing. The only silver/chrome is a sideways 'U' surrounding each of the four LED running lights)
I even had my 19 Cayman S wheels powder coated gloss black before taking delivery.
The only appreciable chrome is the 'P O R S C H E' on the rear -- and I rather like how it stands out that way. :)

In fact, I really only have two 'regrets', both of which are somewhat oddball options:
  • side intakes in body color
  • brushed aluminum interior trim

·
Registered
431 Posts
I ordered my Cayman with manual transmission, PTV, PASM and Sport Crono - not an easy combination to find from what I’ve seen.
As did I. While these are not in my opinion oddball, when I ordered the car the SM said it was not too common for these "performance options" to be combined with all the "luxury" and other options I selected. full leather interior, black painted interior trim, 14-way leather seats with memory, lane change assist; voice control, Bose, navigation, premium package, Porsche Connect Plus, PLDS+, heated MF steering wheel, extended range fuel tank, headlight washers in black, seat heating and ventilation, light design package, 2-zone climate control, power folding mirrors, black sport tailpipes, tinted taillights, Cayman S wheels, smoking package, luggage net, more...

·
Registered
38 Posts
My odd options put on my CGTS are:
6MT - I know PDK is faster and more popular but I am always a MT guy
18 way seat with memory - my wife will kill me if she need to manually adjust the seat and mirror every time she is on the driver seat
heated steering wheel - don't need it at all, but can't just order the steering wheel with only the control button. Been spoil with these button since for 25yr, can't live without it
Navi - a 100k car without a build in navi looks odd to me even it didn't worth it
E&D - actually the full premium package - love these on my other cars, when I bought the forester for my daughter few years ago and it didn't option it, I am so regret not getting these!

Options that I regret not getting:
Full leather dash and color stitching - was try to cheap out when building my order but after seeing this in person I am so regret not getting this
Apple car play - never an apple guy but it should be a nice back up feature that in case I switch my loyalty away from android
Ceramic brake - the most bugging me change of the GTS 4.0 is the upsize of the brake! What I don't like about my 718 is the Yaris size of the brake! So not the flat 6 make me feel my CGTS is inferior to the new GTS 4.0, it is the brake make me feel it is inferior!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enter&Drive scares me because when I walk away from the car I am never sure whether it is or isn't locked. I have to take on faith that it locks itself whan I walk away. There is no way to test by pulling on the door handle. I'm not going to read through the owner's manual for a loaner's feature that I don't have on my own car.

When I get into the car I usually have the key in my hand and then I have to put it somewhere in the car. (My own keyring holds the car fob and a house key. I pick it up as I leave the house, lock the house door, and approach the car with the key in my hand. Then I insert the key into the keyhole to start the car.) Typically I put the Enter&Drive fob into some little well in the console, but it doesn't necessarily fit very well and I'm afraid it will fall out and drop down beside a seat. Or I could put it on the passenger seat but them I'm afaid it will slide onto the floor if I brake hard for some idiot on the highway. Granted I could just leave it in my pocket but I don't walk around the house with a clunky key fob in my pocket. So I always have the key in my hand as I approach the car. Finally, I am afraid I will forget the key when I leave the car. That will leave the car unlocked with the virtual key in it. Or it will lock itself with the key in it. I really don't know what it will do. Either way, it's a problem.

The multi-function steering wheel is a case of "too much stuff". When I'm driving I like to focus on the driving. Trying to use one of the buttons means selecting the right one and/or rotating it in the right direction. Perhaps I'd eventually learn which buttons do what but mostly it's too much. It's like the computer programs which try to "help" me by giving me a million shortcut keys. I accidentally touch one and boom something changes and I have no idea what I just did. If the various functions are on separate stalks which require dedicated and obvious actions then there is no confusion. Many of those functions are things I don't need to do very often anyway, such as the Sport button. The only steering wheel function on my Caravan which I wouldn't mind having in the Porsche is volume control. And I can live without that. Otherwise, keep the fluff stuff away from my hands and my mind.
On your Enter & Drive concerns:
1. Go to settings, click the option "Fold the Mirrors when Locked" and and set it.
2. Put the key fob in your pocket and keep it there (except when you wash your jeans)
3. Put the key in the ignition and leave it there (mine's been there for two years now)

When reach a destination,
a. Turn off the ignition leaving key in the ignition switch
b. Exit car and touch the lock location on the door handle
c. The doors lock, both trunks lock, AND the mirrors fold, telling you that the car's lock.

With that now taken care of, unlock car, climb aboard, crank it up, put it in Sport mode and go have some fun!!!

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
This is to say someone spec'd carbon fiber seats and sold/traded the car within a year? Crazy!
Yes with just 140 miles. Huge $$$ savings for me and the additional CPO warranty on top of the existing warranty. The dealer story was the original buyer was just too big for the seats. The seats fit me perfect! A nice set of options was included..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes with just 140 miles. Huge $$$ savings for me and the additional CPO warranty on top of the existing warranty. The dealer story was the original buyer was just too big for the seats. The seats fit me perfect! A nice set of options was included..

View attachment 25626
I'm shocked the dealer didn't simply offer the option to install a different seat. I'm sure selling these on the aftermarket would more than cover the cost. Or maybe this dealer saw an opening to sell him/her another car. Crazy any way you look at it. Good for you though! Congrats.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts