Porsche 718 Forum banner

Oddball options on your 718

24K views 109 replies 47 participants last post by  ritchieg 
#1 ·
My freeze date is in April so of course I am busy second-guessing all option choices. Mine will be pretty deeply optioned. And it will be manual, black/beige interior, with Burmester. Those alone I doubt you could ever find sitting on dealer lots!

But to my point: what are some rarely chosen / oddball options you selected (or stumbled into due to what was available), and what are your thoughts on them? Did you find yourself loving something that seemed totally silly? Or an option you do not really ever notice? Or something goofy that strangers and non-enthusiasts just appreciate on your 718 for some reason?

Reactions: Stickshiftchick
#4 ·
The few options I selected which my retailer tells me are a bit rare are:

1. Leather steering column. I feel this is a must if you are ordering any of the extended leather interiors as it finishes it off nicely.
2. Alloy gear lever - mine is a MT so I'm not sure how this works for PDK. I ordered a GTS, swapped the GTS interior to rid myself of the alcantara and noticed that the alloy gear lever was a no cost option! Win. It seems Porsche is fair when pricing options. GTS already had an upgraded gear lever hence the move to the alloy version was no cost. Aside from the cost part, it's a nice piece of kit. Do note that selecting this changes the leather boot to match the interior - in my case the boot when from black to graphite blue. This option is a must should you go with the alloy interior trim bits.
3. Satin Platinum Wheel Finish - the configurator shows this to be might brighter than it is. I'd say it's a light graphite colour. Here again I wanted to deviate from the black wheels on the GTS but maintain something that was not too bright.
4. Full Leather Package - while not odd, I do find most of the cars on the lot do not have this and I feel it's worth every penny over the incremental cost of partial leather. The stitching and leather on the dash/doors/console really set what is already a fab interior
5. Aluminium Interior Trim Package - here again, worth every penny. Love how it lifts the interior and combined with the leather dash, you are left with almost no plastic in the interior. I almost opted for the black tint version but decided against due to how easy it scratches.

Options I regret not ordering, but are a bit frivolous:

1. The colour coded key and key pouch: More for the key pouch. Like you, I have a two tone interior and the key pouch that comes from the factory is quite special. I've been using a normal black one and while a pain and likely only used for the spare key, I do wish I had the matching pouch. :)
2. Personalized Floor Mats with Leather Edging - very frivolous. However in your case you could get the leather binding to match the beige leather. I'm a stickler for the small details but at the time of ordering I felt I ticket more than enough boxes and had to hold back.

Good luck with your order!

P

#17 ·
5. Aluminium Interior Trim Package - here again, worth every penny. Love how it lifts the interior and combined with the leather dash, you are left with almost no plastic in the interior. I almost opted for the black tint version but decided against due to how easy it scratches.
YES.

Also, not oddball, but I think it would be rude not getting colored seatbelts.

#5 ·
What's your exterior color - is it black, or was that part of the interior description? I assume you are getting a first choice exterior color.

And I'm just a little ashamed to admit that I had the pseudo-chrome headlight washer covers replaced with Miami Blue painted covers shortly after I got the car. But it did make it faster, and handle better.

#12 ·
And I'm just a little ashamed to admit that I had the pseudo-chrome headlight washer covers replaced with Miami Blue painted covers shortly after I got the car. But it did make it faster, and handle better.
Don't be ashamed! While expensive for what they are, I think exterior-color headlight washers are a must! I feel the same way about the side intakes, and while I'm at it, the front and rear fascia (although I admit those last two make less of an overall impact than the intakes and washers.)

While I wouldn't put 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus in the oddball column, they're not commonly ordered but are a must-have for me.

I also find PASM and, of all things, Automatic Climate Control are must-haves.

#6 ·
1) Get white gauges, or some brighter color that works with your interior. The standard color gauges are invisible in shady or dusk conditions until the headlights come on, particularly if you have sunglasses on. This one I think is really important. If you're near a dealer try a car with the standard color if possible.
2) Get the luggage net.
3) If I was to do it again, I think I'd not get the smoker's package. An extra spot to put things (albeit small spot) can't hurt in this car.
MOO

#7 ·
1) Get white gauges, or some brighter color that works with your interior. The standard color gauges are invisible in shady or dusk conditions until the headlights come on, particularly if you have sunglasses on. This one I think is really important. If you're near a dealer try a car with the standard color if possible.
I'll second the light color of the dial faces! Get any other color than the stock dark grey. In the bright Houston sunlight, sunglasses or no sunglasses, the only items you can see are the digital displays for the gear no. and speed.

Absolutely useless! I don't know what these people were thinking when they were driving the test mules...:mad:

#11 ·
My car was a CPO and had all the performance options I wanted, plus. that alone was VERY unusual. it also had the full leather and Graphite Blue / Chalk Sport-Tex seats. this was an option I never considered and would not have paid the extra $ for.
But now I really like both the comfort and the looks of the interior. and in my opinion looks good with the Sapphire Blue exterior.

Reactions: Treemagnet
#13 ·
Fun topic. Yep, $700 for white gauges seemed silly, but I love them. Also, the painted side vents was a must for me. Hated the look of unfinished plastic bits on the side of an otherwise elegant car.

Funny quote from my SA: going through my options and adding the white gauges. My girlfriend asked, "Do you really need those?" SA responded to her, "Need? Look around. We don't sell 'Need' here."

#15 ·
I never quite understand some color preferences. For example, I have never ever had a problem reading my standard base model gauges. But then, I have a Cayman with its fixed roof, and I have the PDK so I'm not constantly watching the tach (even though I am watching it). But even so, I never have trouble seeing the tach numbers or the needle. The critical stuff like temperatures, oil pressure, etc. are all displayed by bright images. The speedometer is a big lit-up number in the middle of the tach.

Similarly I don't understand some of you folks' exterior preferences. Small bits of chrome here and there look nice to me. But then, I have a silver car, and I'm used to old-style cars where chrome even on the dashboard was a standard item. The orange side markers accent the gold Porsche emblem on the frunk. Wheels are supposed to be metal, which mean they look metallic. TIres are supposed to be black. Brake disks are supposed to be steel and look like it. Red or yellow brake calipers are a neon sign sayig "Look at me, I have Brembo brakes!" but otherwise are just a color clash.

And then there are the reviewers who decry the appearance of "plastic" interior bits but never quite grasp the fact that carbon fiber is actually just a type of, well, plastic.

In the "roadie" section of a bicycle forum I read someone wrote a few years ago "I hate silver! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!" Probably an arrogant hotshot who thinks every part on a bike looks better when made of black carbon fiber. Silver just looks old and nobody likes old. And here I'm thinkin' nothing looks better than the glint of sun flashing from stainless steel spokes on a beautiful sunny spring day. At last count I had 11 bikes, all vintage and mostly a combination of shiny and patina. Don't have anything against black bike parts but sparkley is where it's at for me. But what do I know?

#20 ·
Oh, don't forget the stupid Lighting Package (or whatever it's called) that costs roughly $300 or so. Would have never purchased it on a car if I ordered the car, and my car doesn't have it now, but as others have expressed else on forums -- it is a well worth the money.

Full Leather Package - as stated by someone above - absolute must, although I probably wouldn't have spent money on this if ordering a car myself either, but my god, absolutely upgrades the interior of the vehicle many many fold.

CarPlay? Not sure if it comes standard on 2020 models, don't think it does, but get it even if you don't think you're going to use it--may change your mind one day.

I also really miss not having Porsche Entry & Drive. My prior much cheaper car from 2009 had the equivalent, and I just got so **** used to it.

Lane Departure warning system is nice if you don't mind spending the money.

I'm a huge proponent for Multi-functioning Steering Wheel--sooooooo much better than the one without the buttons, it's not even funny. That's the one thing I use like every 15 seconds.
I also have the smaller GT wheel which is also nice.

Reactions: ~el~jefe~
#22 ·
Oh, don't forget the stupid Lighting Package (or whatever it's called) that costs roughly $300 or so. Would have never purchased it on a car if I ordered the car, and my car doesn't have it now, but as others have expressed else on forums -- it is a well worth the money.

Is IT ???? I thought it was just 1 light for the mirror in the boot or something of that caliber ?

#23 ·
Light Design Package (per porsche.com)
Additional dimmable ambient LED lighting in:
  • Overhead console - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means there's an extra light in the middle of the overhead console, the one by the rear view mirror..?
  • Area of door handles
  • Door storage compartment
  • Driver and front passenger footwell
  • Illumination of vanity mirrors in the sun visors <=== this one is a biggie, and I'm a guy who doesn't always look in the mirror before leaving the house; but still, how is this not freaking standard?!?!? This whole da.mn package, and at the very least the first and last bullets on this list, should be standard.

#25 · (Edited)
Well just did a quick google search and can't find it as parts anywhere to retrofit. If anyone knows where these parts can be purchased, please share.
The only things I would really want is another (brighter) light in the overhead console, and the vanity mirror lights.
Then again, just found a thread on Planet 9 where everyone agrees that the light these provide is so faint that it's not really worth it.

#28 ·
Forgot to mention I also have grey seat belts. I wanted some sort of blue to go with the Sapphire Blue exterior, but that wasn't an option. So I chose grey to make them stand out a bit. I also have the '718 Cayman S' stickers on the side. So with the 10 HP the colored seat belts give you, and the 20 HP from the rear wiper, and the extra 10 from the stickers, I've got at least 390 HP!

#29 ·
Forgot to mention I also have grey seat belts. I wanted some sort of blue to go with the Sapphire Blue exterior, but that wasn't an option. So I chose grey to make them stand out a bit. Plus that adds about 10 HP, in addition to the extra 20 HP the rear wiper gives you. :) So I've got at least 380 HP!
I also noticed the extra hp provided by my yellow seat belts, although in that case the increase is around 20-25 hp, which should be added to the 30 extra hp provided by the Yellow exterior. Yellow car have always been the fastest ones.

#33 ·
Have entry and drive on the Porsche and Ram. Love it. Never buy another car without. Auto climate is fine but the car is meant to be driven with the top down so .......... love the multifunction steering wheel. Auto dimming mirror. Have it. Not sure what it does though all my vehicles have had this as far as I can remember so ........ Have painted side intakes but also still have the original unpainted black plastic intakes too.

#35 ·
Sport-Tex Seats - x100!
Can’t imagine the car with anything else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
More choices I would avoid! The various loaner Macans I've driven have all had Enter&Drive. It scares me in too many ways to describe. Same with the multi-function wheel. I would much rather have a simple wheel for steering the car and nothing else.

#40 ·
Here are some of my (oddball) options:

1. Sport-Tex seats in Graphite Blue/Chalk
2. Miami Blue seat belts
3. Pedals and footrest in aluminum
4. Door handles in high gloss black
5. Supplemental safety bars in exterior color
6. Power folding exterior mirrors
7. 718 logo painted black
8. Interior trim in carbon fiber
9. Heated multifunction sport steering wheel in carbon fiber
10. Door sill guards in carbon fiber illuminated

#42 ·
Here are some of my (oddball) options:
View attachment 25518
1. Sport-Tex seats in Graphite Blue/Chalk
2. Miami Blue seat belts
3. Pedals and footrest in aluminum
4. Door handles in high gloss black
5. Supplemental safety bars in exterior color
6. Power folding exterior mirrors
7. 718 logo painted black
8. Interior trim in carbon fiber
9. Heated multifunction sport steering wheel in carbon fiber
10. Door sill guards in carbon fiber illuminated
That is a freaking lovely car. I love our painted side intakes but experimented on the configuration with leaving black but adding the black door handles. Your car confirms how nice that combo can look!? That and the restraint bars in body color make it exceptional!!

#45 ·
Oddball (fairly rare options) on Miami Blue Cayman GTS:

1. Gloss black painted door handles
2 Gloss black painted rear spoiler
3. Black anodized aluminum interior trim
4. Deviated stitching in racing yellow
5. Racing yellow seat belts
6. Upgraded xenon lights with black surround

Love them all even though all but the painted door handles are exorbitantly priced.

GTS comes standard with tinted tail lights. Would have paid to get them. I rank the tinted taillights above all six of the extra cost options listed above.

#47 ·
We have very different standard levels here in Australia so I'm not going to try and decode the differences between countries.?
Comments, however--
I have no trouble at all with the standard gauges, but I understand the GTS has a different standard, and the white gauges I've had were distracting while I focussed on the road.
PDLS is great, I've heard that the PDLS+ is even better but it was very pricey and I don't drive a lot at night in bad weather. (We don't have much bad weather here.?)
Climate control is useful as my daughter loves it at least 5°C colder than I do and I like having the controls be "set and forget".
I use the multi-function wheel all the time, and the sport wheel felt better in my hands.
I didn't even consider Entry & Drive. It's not my style.

I suggest you try what you can and do your best for your preferences about the ones you can't try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.