Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Massachusetts I’ll need to buy winter wheels even though I do have an SUV for winter I want to be able to drive the 718 on nice but cold days. It looks like Suncoast has the 18 inch Porsche winter wheel set for roughly 2700.
Tire Rack has what they call Sport Edition Cup 4 Wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-4 N-Spec Tires Including the tire pressure monitoring for $2240 (with A rebate they are offering now. They may be discontinuing these?)

On the one hand 19 inch wheels would seem to be better although I don’t know if that would mean less tread. I don’t know what tires Porsche provides and if they are better or worse than the Michelin but I do have some concern that the rims that tire rack will provide may not look right on the car not having ever seen them in person. The look of the wheels is always a big thing as we all know. Does anyone actually have the silver 5 spoke winter wheels that tire rake sells or know what they look like in person? In the pictures they look ok.

sight unseen I suppose my personality would be to just go with the OEM ones even though they’re smaller and more money but if I saw them on a car or a new somebody who had them I might just go with the cheaper aftermarket rims and tires. If there are other options I’d be open to those as well. I looked at tire buyer but they don’t seem to sell a winter set.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
529 Posts
Here in Massachusetts I’ll need to buy winter wheels even though I do have an SUV for winter I want to be able to drive the 718 on nice but cold days. It looks like Suncoast has the 18 inch Porsche winter wheel set for roughly 2700.
Tire Rack has what they call Sport Edition Cup 4 Wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA-4 N-Spec Tires Including the tire pressure monitoring for $2240 (with A rebate they are offering now. They may be discontinuing these?)

On the one hand 19 inch wheels would seem to be better although I don’t know if that would mean less tread. I don’t know what tires Porsche provides and if they are better or worse than the Michelin but I do have some concern that the rims that tire rack will provide may not look right on the car not having ever seen them in person. The look of the wheels is always a big thing as we all know. Does anyone actually have the silver 5 spoke winter wheels that tire rake sells or know what they look like in person? In the pictures they look ok.

sight unseen I suppose my personality would be to just go with the OEM ones even though they’re smaller and more money but if I saw them on a car or a new somebody who had them I might just go with the cheaper aftermarket rims and tires. If there are other options I’d be open to those as well. I looked at tire buyer but they don’t seem to sell a winter set.

Thanks, Bill
The only sage advice I can give is: Move down here to Florida! You're more than welcome. And think of all the money you'll save on tyres! :)

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the middle of the exact same decision. I'm close enough to a Tire Rack distribution center that can get a discount for pick up. Also I assume Suncoast charges for shipping on the wheelset so I will likely save some coin and go Tire Rack.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am pretty sure that’s the same tire on the OEM winter set , just a 18 vs 19 . The tread width is the same , the 19 just has shorter sidewalls . I’d want the taller sidewalls myself with possible potholes in winter , so I would go 18” . You can also get aftermarket wheels in 18 and pay less then OEM .

·
Registered
2021 718
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Yes the local dealer did as well so that would be the route I’d go. Either order through tire rack the 19 inch or the dealer the 18 inch most likely I guess. I am personally not a fan of the black rims with the silver paint. I know it’s very popular I just don’t personally care for it and that’s what tire rack offers as the 18 inch option so that really wouldn’t work for me and the 19 inch option from Porsche would be too expensive.

·
Registered
2020 Cayman S, MT
100 Posts
my car was delivered in october and i had the dealer put the oem 18" package on. I'm not a fan of the look but the taller sidewalls are worth it. they are direct plug an play, i'm not sure why an alignment or spacers would be needed. if you get aftermarket with tpms, will you need someone to code them to the car? (i don't know for sure)

Reactions: KiloTango

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’ve bent tons of cheap tirerack wheels over the years in Mass winters. Wheels are a case of you get - more-or-less, if you are careful - what you pay for. If you want a light and strong wheel it won’t be cheep. Those Sport Edition wheels are one of the heaviest options TR shows for a 718. If you’re looking for cheap and heavy then those are it. Since they are on closeout I suggest buying a extra wheel for each end. That’s what I did last time I did tirerack wheels and a good thing too: I needed both of the extras when the next set of winter tires was mounted as two of the originals were pretty square.

·
Registered
2021 718
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OttawaSteve Do you have any wheel spacers on? Do you recommend wheel alignment each time switch wheelsets?
I've heard talk of wheel spacers but do not really know what they are. I bought my car with the 19" boxer S wheels so it just has whatever the factory provides. I don't know the answer on the alignment but I hope it is "not necessary". haha

·
Registered
2021 718
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve bent tons of cheap tirerack wheels over the years in Mass winters. Wheels are a case of you get - more-or-less, if you are careful - what you pay for. If you want a light and strong wheel it won’t be cheep. Those Sport Edition wheels are one of the heaviest options TR shows for a 718. If you’re looking for cheap and heavy then those are it. Since they are on closeout I suggest buying a extra wheel for each end. That’s what I did last time I did tirerack wheels and a good thing too: I needed both of the extras when the next set of winter tires was mounted as two of the originals were pretty square.
Ha. That is another reason to just go with the factory 18 inch wheels for the winter

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went with TireRack 18” wheels with Blizzaks (WS-90?). There was a nice set of OZ wheels and I went about 10mm narrower than OEM wheel sizes. (Narrower is supposed to be better in the snow.) I have a 10mm spacer I put on the rears just to keep the same offset as OEM. Other than the obvious difficulties of deep snow with a low profile car, the car is fantastic in the snow. It’s my daily driver all year and through Michigan winters. FYI I chose the aftermarket approach because I felt the Blizzaks were a higher rated winter tire vs what seemed a bit more of a “performance” winter tires offered through Porsche. Snow and ice grip were my highest priority. Of course different geographic areas or the availability of alternate transportation would impact each person’s balance of priorities.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It is not necessary to realign because you swap wheels/tires twice a year.

It is a good idea to get an alignment every year or three if you are driving everyday on $h1+ roads (MA, PA, etc.) because all of the pothole hitting will eventually have an effect on alignment (and roundness/straightness of wheels.)

·
Registered
2020 Cayman S, MT
100 Posts
Reactions: KiloTango

·
Registered
2021 718
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with TireRack 18” wheels with Blizzaks (WS-90?). There was a nice set of OZ wheels and I went about 10mm narrower than OEM wheel sizes. (Narrower is supposed to be better in the snow.) I have a 10mm spacer I put on the rears just to keep the same offset as OEM. Other than the obvious difficulties of deep snow with a low profile car, the car is fantastic in the snow. It’s my daily driver all year and through Michigan winters. FYI I chose the aftermarket approach because I felt the Blizzaks were a higher rated winter tire vs what seemed a bit more of a “performance” winter tires offered through Porsche. Snow and ice grip were my highest priority. Of course different geographic areas or the availability of alternate transportation would impact each person’s balance of priorities.
That is really interesting and useful feedback. I will only use the car when it is fairly good out. I'm luck to have 2 others to choose from. Neither is fancy like this one but does give me more options. Do you find there is any vibration or anything with the use of the spacers? I recall a dealer had said something about that but I could just chalk that up to "dealer talk"

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve noticed no ill effects whatsoever from the spacers. I suppose there are different qualities though. These were from Elephant Racing, they fit very snug on the wheel hub, and I got the longer lug bolts to go with them. The biggest change in the driving experience vs the summer tire is of course from the vastly different tire characteristics. Going from the 20” Pilot Sport 4S to the narrower 18” Blizzaks is a huge difference. But again, my biggest priority was the best snow and ice grip possible to get me safely on a 5 mile commute back and forth to the office. Very little highway driving in the car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts