Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This car really attracts attention.

I picked up my 718 Cayman S on December 10, 2016. My drive to work is only 8 miles, and I haven't driven it nearly as much as I would like. But the weather has been getting better so that will change. I just reached 1500 miles today and this car has exceeded my expectations. I love it.

The driving character of my Cayman seems to combine the qualities of my 2013 VW Golf R and my 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited only raised to the power of 10. :) The Golf R was really solidly built with a high quality interior, lots of amenities and pretty fast. My BRZ was rear wheel drive, lightweight and handled really well. The Golf only interested VW fans, and the BRZ mostly attracted the attention of 10 year old boys. Until I got my Cayman, the BRZ was easily my favorite car.

Regarding my Cayman, it's not an exaggeration to say that I have received 20 to 40 compliments since buying it. I have received complements on the color and the exhaust note. Stopping to get fuel has turned into a a 20 minute affair on more than one occasion. Strangers stop and want to ask questions and generally talk about cars. Driving down the road I often get the thumbs up and friendly waves. At the stop light I look around to find other drivers and their passengers staring and pointing on both sides of the car. I want to laugh but I don't want to seem rude. My wife even notices the attention we get.

On one occasion a driver of an older 3 series BMW followed me for miles. I would slow down, and he would slow down. I sped up and he did the same. He pulled along side but he wouldn't pass.

It doesn't bother me, but I can't help but wonder how long it will continue.

Anybody else have similar experiences? I would imagine a top down Boxster would attract even more attention.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, here in NJ silver Porsches get zero attention and that's exactly how I like it. Believe me, the attention gets annoying after a short while. I've had no reaction at all to my GT silver 718S Boxster (at least none that I could ascertain).

The only car I ever owned that caused the kind of reaction you describe was a sepang blue R8 V10 spyder I owned at the time when the R8 was being promoted in the Ironman movies. I was constantly being followed, videoed, "thumbs-uped",etc. Every gas stop was an event; kept being asked how much it cost and what I did for a living. It got downright scary when I'd be on the highway with some kid on my bumper, videoing me. I was even stopped once by a cop just wanting to see the car up close.

The insanity peaked one day when I was behind a school bus and a bunch of teen girls on the bus "flashed me". Unbelievably they did that while my wife was sitting in the passenger seat.

I really grew to dislike the attention - prefer to be far more anonymous on the road.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Really depends on your area and how many of these or cars similar to these you see around. It could last for quite some time.. which.. me personally, I wouldn't complain about because I love the attention haha

·
Registered
710 Posts
I get a ton of attention with my 718 CS. I've had it for a month and people come up and talk about it or take pictures of it all the time. This hardly ever happened with my 987 CS. It could be because of the color (Sapphire Blue) and every other car around here is black or white!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, here in NJ silver Porsches get zero attention and that's exactly how I like it. Believe me, the attention gets annoying after a short while. I've had no reaction at all to my GT silver 718S Boxster (at least none that I could ascertain).

The only car I ever owned that caused the kind of reaction you describe was a sepang blue R8 V10 spyder I owned at the time when the R8 was being promoted in the Ironman movies. I was constantly being followed, videoed, "thumbs-uped",etc. Every gas stop was an event; kept being asked how much it cost and what I did for a living. It got downright scary when I'd be on the highway with some kid on my bumper, videoing me. I was even stopped once by a cop just wanting to see the car up close.

The insanity peaked one day when I was behind a school bus and a bunch of teen girls on the bus "flashed me". Unbelievably they did that while my wife was sitting in the passenger seat.

I really grew to dislike the attention - prefer to be far more anonymous on the road.
I do like the attention. I feel like I have a special car, and when other's think it's special it makes me smile. :)

Yeah, an R8 spyder would capture my attention, too. Being flashed by teen girls and pulled over by a cop is just strange.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really depends on your area and how many of these or cars similar to these you see around. It could last for quite some time.. which.. me personally, I wouldn't complain about because I love the attention haha
Funny you should mention location. We don't live that far from Potomac MD (one of the wealthiest areas in the country) and I hardly ever see super expensive or exotic cars. Although, someone in my neighborhood on a rare occasion drives his loud as heck yellow Lamborghini.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get a ton of attention with my 718 CS. I've had it for a month and people come up and talk about it or take pictures of it all the time. This hardly ever happened with my 987 CS. It could be because of the color (Sapphire Blue) and every other car around here is black or white!
I imagine Miami Blue would really attract attention.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Funny you should mention location. We don't live that far from Potomac MD (one of the wealthiest areas in the country) and I hardly ever see super expensive or exotic cars. Although, someone in my neighborhood on a rare occasion drives his loud as heck yellow Lamborghini.
Well that's definitely something that contradicts what one would think haha. Well.. now you could be the face of the neighborhood along with the loud Lambo guy ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
This car really attracts attention.

I picked up my 718 Cayman S on December 10, 2016. My drive to work is only 8 miles, and I haven't driven it nearly as much as I would like. But the weather has been getting better so that will change. I just reached 1500 miles today and this car has exceeded my expectations. I love it.

The driving character of my Cayman seems to combine the qualities of my 2013 VW Golf R and my 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited only raised to the power of 10. :) The Golf R was really solidly built with a high quality interior, lots of amenities and pretty fast. My BRZ was rear wheel drive, lightweight and handled really well. The Golf only interested VW fans, and the BRZ mostly attracted the attention of 10 year old boys. Until I got my Cayman, the BRZ was easily my favorite car.

Regarding my Cayman, it's not an exaggeration to say that I have received 20 to 40 compliments since buying it. I have received complements on the color and the exhaust note. Stopping to get fuel has turned into a a 20 minute affair on more than one occasion. Strangers stop and want to ask questions and generally talk about cars. Driving down the road I often get the thumbs up and friendly waves. At the stop light I look around to find other drivers and their passengers staring and pointing on both sides of the car. I want to laugh but I don't want to seem rude. My wife even notices the attention we get.

On one occasion a driver of an older 3 series BMW followed me for miles. I would slow down, and he would slow down. I sped up and he did the same. He pulled along side but he wouldn't pass.

It doesn't bother me, but I can't help but wonder how long it will continue.

Anybody else have similar experiences? I would imagine a top down Boxster would attract even more attention.
I agree! So far my 718--GT Silver Boxster has garnered a lot of attention. I do, however, live in a fairly rural area and there are few Porsches of any type in the immediate area. So far-- like agent86 noted--lots of conversations at gas stations, store parking lots, and lots of thumbs up at stop lights. On one occasion I was on the Interstate and this car drove by in the other lane with some kid hanging out the rear window taking a video of my 718. This lasted for about two or three miles and then they drove on. I can't say that I have been flashed--not yet anyway--but here is hoping. ha ha

Also--I have not had one negative comment or look yet. I can't say that about when I had my 911. I had several encounters of young kids wanting to race me and large trucks trying to blow exhaust on me. I even got a few nasty comments at a gas station once. It's interesting that the two cars have drawn such different reactions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts