Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the winter break, I decided it was time to stop scraping the bottom of my car on every single tiny bump; and get rid of my H&R springs. Since I was gonna have to take everything apart, I decided to upgrade to Ohlins rather than just put the stock springs back on. I worked with Josh from Arcflash, who absolutely worked his ass off to get an Ohlins setup to me before my track day, to land on a 450/500 spring setup. The ride on the street is insanely better, and I shaved 4 seconds off my lap time at COTA. I highly recommend an Ohlins and working with Arcflash to find the best setup for you.

Obligatory 2:33 lap time at COTA video

·
Registered
364 Posts
Over the winter break, I decided it was time to stop scraping the bottom of my car on every single tiny bump; and get rid of my H&R springs. Since I was gonna have to take everything apart, I decided to upgrade to Ohlins rather than just put the stock springs back on. I worked with Josh from Arcflash, who absolutely worked his ass off to get an Ohlins setup to me before my track day, to land on a 450/500 spring setup. The ride on the street is insanely better, and I shaved 4 seconds off my lap time at COTA. I highly recommend an Ohlins and working with Arcflash to find the best setup for you.

The video is nice however it would have been more accurate if the RPM and speed was displayed on your track lap time. Without the speed and rpm's display the 4 seconds off doesn't mean anything when you are driving around the lap.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I too recently went Ohlins. So far so good! Enjoy your new ride...quality!

I had an 06 with Bilstein coil-overs. I drive my car 12 months a year in Chicago. No corrosion or problems...except with the coil-overs. So...staying stock this time. Still enjoying the bgezus out of this car.

BTW, I bought off the lot...mine came with options NORMAL PASM...½" taller than the stock on a GTS Sport PASM. ...Still a hoot and a good bit faster than my modded '06.

Enjoy! If I lived down south, I'd do the same. I was an instructor for 23 years...but who's counting?

:alien:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Nice smooth driving! I don't think you can go wrong with the Ohlins.

What's your track set up now in terms of tires, camber and clicks on the dampers? Also how many seconds do you think the tune takes off?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the H&R springs come off a PASM or non-PASM setup?
Non-PASM, it dropped the car 45mm. Too low.

The video is nice however it would have been more accurate if the RPM and speed was displayed on your track lap time. Without the speed and rpm's display the 4 seconds off doesn't mean anything when you are driving around the lap.
I make these videos just for you, so I'll make sure to get these changes made. I'm so glad you told me how I could make them better.

Was debating going with the Ohlins. How’s the ride height compared to H&R and stock?
It's half way between the two. You can adjust the setup +- 15mm either way, so you could pretty much drop them down to the H&R height, or a bit below stock. I've left them right in the middle.

Nice smooth driving! I don't think you can go wrong with the Ohlins.

What's your track set up now in terms of tires, camber and clicks on the dampers? Also how many seconds do you think the tune takes off?
This weekend was Hankook rs4's which have had a fair amount of cycles through them; I probably need to get some new ones at this point. My camber is -3 in the front and -2.4 in the back. It turns like an absolute beast. The SPL LCAs allow a lot of adjustment. The tune absolutely flies. My buddy in a GT3 with 550hp does not just disappear into the distance anymore. It helped some of the straight line time, but I gained so much time through turn 2, 3, 4,5,6, and 16,17, 18.

I ended up turning a 2:32 today, which his amazing.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wow sounds like an envious set up and great result with the tune! I am really tempted as a little more hp in the straights never goes astray.

What size are the RS4's? That is my next purchase and adjustable links for my sway bars as they are interfering with my corner weights. I assume you are using the Apex 10.5" rear rim? My 11" are almost hitting the collar on my coilovers and need a 5mm spacer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow sounds like an envious set up and great result with the tune! I am really tempted as a little more hp in the straights never goes astray.

What size are the RS4's? That is my next purchase and adjustable links for my sway bars as they are interfering with my corner weights. I assume you are using the Apex 10.5" rear rim? My 11" are almost hitting the collar on my coilovers and need a 5mm spacer.
I’m on titan7 S5s. Tires are 255/35/18 and 285/35/18.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Ohlins are "out for delivery" today! :O Hope to get them installed along with the adjustable LCA's this coming weekend. I'll be doing a similar alignment as you...with half a degree less than your numbers. Thanks for posting those up, BTW!

·
Vendor
382 Posts

Glad you're enjoying the Ohlins and putting them to work!

We have a big shipment landing in a week so shouldn't have to scramble to fulfill these... :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys, reading the instructions for the Ohlins R&T's...it says:
"With both the preload and height adjustments in their standard positions, the vehicle is lowered approximately 20 mm when compared to the original suspension"

Preload is supposed to be set at 2mm, per those instructions, but it doesn't say what the standard height adjustment is. What did you guys do for this? In the past, I've measured the length of the top mounting surface to the lower mounting surface and matched it to the new coilovers. I'm not sure how doing it this way will result in 20mm lower, like the instructions state.

Any suggestions on how you did this? I'm looking to lower my 718 by 25mm total.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
382 Posts
"With both the preload and height adjustments in their standard positions, the vehicle is lowered approximately 20 mm when compared to the original suspension"

Preload is supposed to be set at 2mm, per those instructions, but it doesn't say what the standard height adjustment is. What did you guys do for this? In the past, I've measured the length of the top mounting surface to the lower mounting surface and matched it to the new coilovers. I'm not sure how doing it this way will result in 20mm lower, like the instructions state.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Front:

Rear:

If you want to lower the car 5mm more, just reduce these values by 5mm.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Josh, thanks, but I understand the overall setup. I'm looking for the initial length of the coil over to start with. should I pull my old strut out and measure mounting surface to mounting surface and then match that on the bench before I install the coilovers?

·
Vendor
382 Posts
You don't need to measure anything on your old strut. Set the Ohlins to those numbers and you are good to go. Feel free to call the shop and ask for me if you need more assitance.

Joshua

Hey Josh, thanks, but I understand the overall setup. I'm looking for the initial length of the coil over to start with. should I pull my old strut out and measure mounting surface to mounting surface and then match that on the bench before I install the coilovers?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys,
Sooo, I have the coilovers installed, and am in the process of buttoning everything back together. I did the front first, and decided to throw a front wheel/tire on while the car was lifted to see what it looked like.

I don't think I have the dimensions of the coilovers set correctly, even though the car hasn't been on the ground yet, at full droop there is about 2-inches of clearance between the tire and the fender. Once weight is on the car it's likely going to tuck up into the wheel well pretty good. The stock struts let the wheel sag several inches.

I used the dimensions provided on the Ohlins installation instructions, which are also copied here (Thanks, Josh).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently had same concern, I found these do not have much droop out of the box. I also found for my base Cayman, that the front I had to set to 36mm front from spring to ride height adjuster, and 110mm rear to get 22mm of drop. I talked to Ohlins about this, they weren't sure why my settings don't match the manual, but it was fine. I wondered if they measured 20mm drop on a PASM car or something.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts