Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this subject has been discussed endlessly but curious about what the consensus is among the 718 owners; when do each of you intend to perform your first oil change? 1K/2k/etc or stretch it out to the recommended 10K?
I have already put 350 miles on my car after driving it for 2 days.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am totally ok with following the manufacturer' directions in this case, no reason for me to want to do extra oil changes. Porsche certainly has no incentive to cause damage to their cars through inadequate maintenance.

·
892 Posts
I asked the head technician at my nearest dealer & he said that with modern oils there was absolutely no point in doing an oil change earlier than recommended. Being as I'd have had them do it & they'd have been making money from me & he still said not to bother that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are a lot of synthetic oil tests available online. I checked on syn oil longevity a while back and most tests showed the oils had not degraded over the recommended change interval. Some would probably last much longer, but the manufactures want you to buy more oil. The consistency of molecule size in the synthetics lend to their stability. What hurts engines is the byproduct of combustion that ultimately mix with the oil. Hence, the longevity of oil is related to the ability of the filter to remove these contaminants. I change syn oil every 10K, but the filter at 5K. I don't know how the Porsche filters rank among other brands in relation to their ability to filter (measured in microns, flow, etc.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
jt4006 here. I just changed my oil + filter. I have a black on black 718 delivered in April that just turned 3100 miles. The undertray must be removed to access the drain plug. The tray has four bolts, four nuts and about 8 screws or thereabouts. Easy to do, just keep track. You also need to release 4 screws from the panel in front of the tray to get it to drop and clear. The filter housing uses the same tool as for the 986 oil filter. The trick is reaching the housing. Put some tape on the driveshaft to avoid dinging the paint. The filter and housing come off at the same time, don't try to extract the housing before removing the filter; its fiddly but doable. Be sure to put the drain tube on the housing drain as well. Wipe inside the engine housing receiver before installing the new filter, old oil hides there. The manual says 6 quarts M1 0W-40 and that is exactly what it took. I first put in 5 then ran the engine up to temp to get the fill correct and to check the oil gage. I also took an oil test sample to baseline the motor (Titan Laboratories). There were a few very very fine apparently Al particles in the housing but I attribute that to the build process. I replaced the drain plug with 50 Nm torque, same as the 986. Please reply if there is a different torque required. Ultimately, a fairly simple job. It did take me three hours, but I was being very careful and deliberate to avoid screwing something up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
jt4006 here. I just changed my oil + filter. I have a black on black 718 delivered in April that just turned 3100 miles. The undertray must be removed to access the drain plug. The tray has four bolts, four nuts and about 8 screws or thereabouts. Easy to do, just keep track. You also need to release 4 screws from the panel in front of the tray to get it to drop and clear. The filter housing uses the same tool as for the 986 oil filter. The trick is reaching the housing. Put some tape on the driveshaft to avoid dinging the paint. The filter and housing come off at the same time, don't try to extract the housing before removing the filter; its fiddly but doable. Be sure to put the drain tube on the housing drain as well. Wipe inside the engine housing receiver before installing the new filter, old oil hides there. The manual says 6 quarts M1 0W-40 and that is exactly what it took. I first put in 5 then ran the engine up to temp to get the fill correct and to check the oil gage. I also took an oil test sample to baseline the motor (Titan Laboratories). There were a few very very fine apparently Al particles in the housing but I attribute that to the build process. I replaced the drain plug with 50 Nm torque, same as the 986. Please reply if there is a different torque required. Ultimately, a fairly simple job. It did take me three hours, but I was being very careful and deliberate to avoid screwing something up.
I changed mine at 2000K and found similar fine metallic particles as stated above. I changed again at 5000K and found none. I change oil often because I track the car frequently.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the very detailed instructions. Boy, the oil filter is a little tough to get to interesting design. Was it difficult to position the funnel below the filter housing?
No the funnel is built in. You just stick a plastic hose in it at the bottom and let the oil go into a container sitting on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No the funnel is built in. You just stick a plastic hose in it at the bottom and let the oil go into a container sitting on the ground.
That's pretty thoughtful of Porsche. I may go ahead and do the oil change myself not to save money but to be sure it's done properly. Though, admittedly, I have zero automotive skills and experience. The upfront expense of the equipment for the oil change will not make the first oil change a money saver but after a few......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all, to close out my earlier post and per JCJ's comments, the oil test came back clean with no unusual trace metals beyond those expected in Mobil 1. This tends to support the guess that those few particles in the filter housing were just that, a few artifacts from the machining/build process.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just changed the oil @2360 miles now I will probably revert to the yearly or 10K oil change which ever comes first. I took the oil filter home with me and will cut it open. I did not see any metal particles I will post if anything is noteworthy upon disection. I had them take an oil sample, and I will send off to Blackstone. Will I change the oil on my own in the future? Highly doubtful. It took them nearly 3 hours......the first 2018 they had to date. What a pain in the neck.......they earned their money.

Addendum: Just noticed the dealership used Castrol 5W-40 edge and I requested Mobile 1 0W-40.......should that be an issue? What surprises me I stood by the tech and watched everything and told him the oil I wanted.......mind boggling! The temperatures are pretty mild in central Texas.

Addendum #2: Cut open the filter and no significant findings. Was the oil change needed? Probably not, though I was unable to inspect the oil that was drained.........I paid for piece of mind.......as I have said back to the 10K interval.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Billing Issues/Porsche Dealership of Austin

I went over my bill and called the dealership with some concerns. They charged me for 9 quarts ($90.90) of oil on the 2018 CS that holds maximum of 6.35 quarts. They also charged me for "window cleaner O" ($20.59) which according to the service manager is replacing fluids.....I told him that I watched the entire 3 hour procedure and that was never done.
One other thing, I will bring up to the service manager and Porsche Dealership of Austin.....on the bill they charged me for a 10K service on my 2018 CS.......that first 10K service is free/not billable. I requested that a new bill be mailed to me that eliminates the "10K service maintenance" heading and change the bill to read "Oil and Oil filter change".
One last thing they charged me $57.62 plus tax for an oil filter/O-ring and crush washer that Suncoast sells retail for $30.95.....and no tax.

Advice: spoke with the service manager and he indicated you can bring your own oil and oil filter......highly recommend that. Also go in the Porsche garage when your car is serviced, and watch what is being done.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
I went over my bill and called the dealership with some concerns. They charged me for 9 quarts ($90.90) of oil on the 2018 CS that holds maximum of 6.35 quarts. They also charged me for "window cleaner O" ($20.59) which according to the service manager is replacing fluids.....I told him that I watched the entire 3 hour procedure and that was never done.
One other thing, I will bring up to the service manager and Porsche Dealership of Austin.....on the bill they charged me for a 10K service on my 2018 CS.......that first 10K service is free/not billable. I requested that a new bill be mailed to me that eliminates the "10K service maintenance" heading and change the bill to read "Oil and Oil filter change".
One last thing they charged me $57.62 plus tax for an oil filter/O-ring and crush washer that Suncoast sells retail for $30.95.....and no tax.

Advice: spoke with the service manager and he indicated you can bring your own oil and oil filter......highly recommend that. Also go in the Porsche garage when your car is serviced, and watch what is being done.
See, I've been having an argument with a dude on the 'other' 718 forum about required maintenance being done at a Porsche dealer (Here's the thread -- starts at Post #15 or so) at a substantial premium compared to other options.

His argument is that it mitigates potential warranty claim issues and generates 'goodwill' toward some fixes potentially being done for free, among other things. My argument is that we have a choice by law to go wherever we want -- even do it ourselves if proper procedure is followed -- and Porsche's exorbitant service costs are tantamount to fleecing and is borderline predatory behavior.

What neither of us have brought up is crap like you've experienced at Porsche of Austin (which, I'm sorry to say (and IIRC), has a pretty poor track record with its service department): price gouging, parts markups, charging for services not performed, using parts that are not Porsche recommended (the Castrol oil), and improper service cataloging (the "10K maintenance" issue, which you should get fixed RIGHT AWAY because that puppy's supposed to be FREE for 2018 models, among other reasons).

I'm sorry about your experience, @Porsche2018 . My advice is to attempt to do what I plan on doing: With the exception of the free 10K service, have your car serviced by an independent service center that specializes in Porsches and that has a good reputation. I'm not sure what the scene in Austin is like, but I've got to think San Antonio probably has a couple of good indies -- as well as another Porsche dealer, if Porsche of Austin keeps dicking you around like that.

(An aside: Luxury car dealers frequently try stuff like you experienced because most of its clients either don't give a whit how much it costs or don't know enough, or have the time, to question any of it. Now that Porsche of Austin knows that you pay attention, it might not try it again. But based on its rep, I wouldn't bank on that at all.)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm sorry about your experience, @Porsche2018 . My advice is to attempt to do what I plan on doing: With the exception of the free 10K service, have your car serviced by an independent service center that specializes in Porsches and that has a good reputation. I'm not sure what the scene in Austin is like, but I've got to think San Antonio probably has a couple of good indies -- as well as another Porsche dealer, if Porsche of Austin keeps dicking you around like that.

(An aside: Luxury car dealers frequently try stuff like you experienced because most of its clients either don't give a whit how much it costs or don't know enough, or have the time, to question any of it. Now that Porsche of Austin knows that you pay attention, it might not try it again. But based on its rep, I wouldn't bank on that at all.)
I just received a call from Porsche Austin and here is their explanation......The service defaulted to another Porsche model not a Cayman S so those are the standard charges. Their remedy is to return to the dealership and they will replace the Castrol 5W-40 with Mobile 1 0W-40 plus they will refund the oil change fee which amounted to $299.87. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, and take them up on there offer to replace the Castrol with Mobile 1.......I think they should not need to replace the oil filter which took the most time. Do you think it makes enough of a difference using Castrol verses Mobile 1 to have them replace the oil? Should the oil filter need to be replaced or just punt on that?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts