Porsche 718 Forum banner

Oil Changes on GT4

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Splat789 
#1 ·
Does anyone change their own oil on GT4’s ? I cant find C40 spec oil anywhere (locally). C40 has been required spec since 2018. Why is this oil not available yet?

I like to prep for HPDE’s with fresh oil but that’s not going to happen with the GT4 if the dealership is the only place to get it changed. i’m skeptical that they even use c40 spec. oil if its so hard to get.

The choices I’ve found online are:
  • Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40
  • Motul 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40
I’m sort of freaking out. I’ve never owned a car that I couldn’t get oil for.

#6 ·
Sorry, not per the page you linked to—it's A40 only.
My understanding is that the C40 spec simply relates to somehow protecting the gpf, but other than that, is no different from non-C40 ESP X3 oil. If that's the case and since US spec GT4's supposedly come over with inert gpf's, perhaps we don't need the C40 oil after all.
Unknown what all the changes are, but with an engine warranty on the line I'd rather not take the chance. My local dealer found the M1 X3 in their system, but it was priced at $45 a quart. (!) Another local shop that carries M1 called their distributor for me, but the distributor couldn't get it. PECLA couldn't point me towards a source, either. I ordered a 5L jug via Amazon UK, but the package was lost in the mail.

Per my tribologist, M1 is a much better performer than the other C40 alternatives (Motul 5W-40 or Liqui Moly 5W-40).

So, unable to get M1 and wanting to do an oil change after break-in, I'm going with Liqui Moly TOP TEC 4110. I hope that by the time I need to do my second oil change the M1 will be available.

#3 ·
Does anyone change their own oil on GT4’s ? I cant find C40 spec oil anywhere (locally). C40 has been required spec since 2018. Why is this oil not available yet?

I like to prep for HPDE’s with fresh oil but that’s not going to happen with the GT4 if the dealership is the only place to get it changed. i’m skeptical that they even use c40 spec. oil if its so hard to get.

The choices I’ve found online are:
  • Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40
  • Motul 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40
I’m sort of freaking out. I’ve never owned a car that I couldn’t get oil for.
I've discussed this directly with Mobil in an effort to find a source.

I was told by them that my local auto supply dealer could special order the oil "if they were willing to do that". My dealer was nice enough to make some calls but no luck. He was told by Mobil that the oil is sufficiently specialized with such a limited demand that it is not available for retail purchase "yet". "Yet" was not defined or explained.

Truly a strange situation!

#4 ·
I had the same problem here in Australia. C40 spec is not available after much searching. I rang my Porsche Dealer and asked the service dept. They told me that A40 was fine and that was what they used ( Base Cayman 0W-40 ). If C40 ever becomes available, I'll use it, but to date...Zip.

#5 ·
My understanding is that the C40 spec simply relates to somehow protecting the gpf, but other than that, is no different from non-C40 ESP X3 oil. If that's the case and since US spec GT4's supposedly come over with inert gpf's, perhaps we don't need the C40 oil after all.

#11 ·
After watching this video:
Soul Performance Over-Axle Exhaust Install
(Skip to about 17 minutes in if you’re short on time).

I’ve come to the conclusion that these cars do have the GPF but maybe they aren’t monitored like the euro cars. My opinion, but I think they would still function the same and be sensitive to oil ingrediants that would leave harmful deposits so I’m planning to stick w C40 spec.

LN Engineering also has a nice write-up concerning the different oil specs:

LN Engineering Tech Tuesday

In here, they state “Most notably, these new "C" specification oils provide protection against LSPI, or low speed pre-ignition, and protect emissions control devices.

Seems like LSPI would be more of an issue for forced induction engines that build boost quickly at lower RPMs but could also be an issue on high compression NA motors so I’ll be playing it safe with the C40.

I would prefer to stay with M1 but ordered some Motul 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40 on Amazon. I’ll believe it when I see it. Hopefully it’ll be the oil that was advertized

#13 ·
After watching this video:
Soul Performance Over-Axle Exhaust Install
(Skip to about 17 minutes in if you’re short on time).

I’ve come to the conclusion that these cars do have the GPF but maybe they aren’t monitored like the euro cars. My opinion, but I think they would still function the same and be sensitive to oil ingrediants that would leave harmful deposits so I’m planning to stick w C40 spec.

LN Engineering also has a nice write-up concerning the different oil specs:

LN Engineering Tech Tuesday

In here, they state “Most notably, these new "C" specification oils provide protection against LSPI, or low speed pre-ignition, and protect emissions control devices.

Seems like LSPI would be more of an issue for forced induction engines that build boost quickly at lower RPMs but could also be an issue on high compression NA motors so I’ll be playing it safe with the C40.

I would prefer to stay with M1 but ordered some Motul 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40 on Amazon. I’ll believe it when I see it. Hopefully it’ll be the oil that was advertized
The American delivered cars may have the GPF, but definitely none on the Australian delivered cars...so far. Our fuel is too crappy apparently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.