Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm. Tried getting an oil level reading and that is the message displayed. I tried this with the engine warmed to running temps and on level ground - my garage. The only thing that came up in a net search is the service menu has not been reset. Can this be the case?

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
15 Posts
I have experienced the same display, intermittently, and, although the manual says if the temp is up and you've been stopped for a minute, all OK, not always. The same while driving. Most often I can read the oil level after driving up to temp, but sometimes the "currently not available" displays. I haven't really found a set of logical conditions, but after a few minutes, it will display the level just fine.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have experienced the same display, intermittently, and, although the manual says if the temp is up and you've been stopped for a minute, all OK, not always. The same while driving. Most often I can read the oil level after driving up to temp, but sometimes the "currently not available" displays. I haven't really found a set of logical conditions, but after a few minutes, it will display the level just fine.
Wow. OK thanks. I tried it in all the situations you mentioned. A simple dipstick would suffice. I think it's overfilled as I can see the oil level in the filler port. No other way of checking this I guess?

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
15 Posts
A long shot, but if the trunk lid is open it will not display, according to the manual.

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
15 Posts
Also, "If too much engine oil has been added, a message appears indicating the oil level is above the maximum." So maybe you're ok...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A long shot, but if the trunk lid is open it will not display, according to the manual.
I did initially do it with the trunk open and also had the door open. Thought maybe that was influencing things so closed both. Still the same message.

The maximum message may not be working if the system isn't working. Heck I'll keep trying to get a reading after a drive on another day.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Try it on level ground, after filling up with gas and paying and before starting the engine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Having studied the manual, I'm of the opinion that we are instructed to do this ignition on; engine not running. But I'll be damned if I can figure out the relationship between the required conditions and the results I get.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try it on level ground, after filling up with gas and paying and before starting the engine.
Do I also have to hold my breath and rub my tummy at the same time? lol My prior attempts have all been on level ground, but I'll give it a try in a service station. Maybe the atmosphere there will put the car in a better frame of reference for this lol

Just kidding of course, but this is a rather weird issue for a car in this category. Checking the oil is a basic necessity for a performance car or any motor vehicle for that matter, and having to rely on this system rather than a something as simple as a dipstick, is kind of crazy. Heck I would think they could have done something similar to what's present in man window washer reservoirs, if fitting a dipstick wasn't in the realm of possibility. I think a popup float under the filler cap could have worked. I'd prefer that over what appears to be an unreliable hi-tech system.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Do I also have to hold my breath and rub my tummy at the same time? lol My prior attempts have all been on level ground, but I'll give it a try in a service station. Maybe the atmosphere there will put the car in a better frame of reference for this lol

Just kidding of course, but this is a rather weird issue for a car in this category. Checking the oil is a basic necessity for a performance car or any motor vehicle for that matter, and having to rely on this system rather than a something as simple as a dipstick, is kind of crazy. Heck I would think they could have done something similar to what's present in man window washer reservoirs, if fitting a dipstick wasn't in the realm of possibility. I think a popup float under the filler cap could have worked. I'd prefer that over what appears to be an unreliable hi-tech system.
I totally agree re a dipstick. With that said, I now check my oil while driving. Wait about 5-10 minutes after you start your car and then just go through the menus until you can read the level.
I presume the software recognizes the car is running and then adds the known quantity of oil running through the engine to that in the sump to come up with a value to display. This value of course varies over time and measurements (😞) but it will give you a pretty good feel for oil level in sump.
MOO and FWIW

·
Registered
267 Posts
I totally agree re a dipstick. With that said, I now check my oil while driving. Wait about 5-10 minutes after you start your car and then just go through the menus until you can read the level.
I presume the software recognizes the car is running and then adds the known quantity of oil running through the engine to that in the sump to come up with a value to display. This value of course varies over time and measurements (😞) but it will give you a pretty good feel for oil level in sump.
MOO and FWIW
I didn’t even know the oil level was available while the engine was running, I thought only available with it off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I didn’t even know the oil level was available while the engine was running, I thought only available with it off.
I've done both and the readings do not differ. Much easier for me to check it quickly while driving. I do occasionally get the notice that the reading is not available.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That would have been my expectation also. A previous thread on this subject highlighted this capability.
One other anecdote to note is that it takes a while after an oil change for this system to start reporting correctly. I can only guess at why but my experience showed low oil by c. 1/2 litre until about a week after. Then it miraculously increased to full.☺😞 Others have reported similar behaviors. Lesson from this: don't add more oil unless it shows really low and then be careful. You should have added the proper amount at the change so a week wait won't harm anything.
MOO

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
My experience of changing my own oil on 718S, if it’s high or low it tells you straight away, every time, if it’s in the ok range (green area) it may take up to 1 hour or more of driving to show you the Oil graphic instead of the unavailable currently message. So no warning message you’re good to drive, in the near future the graphic representation will return and you can
choose if you want to slightly increase the level depending on where you like it to sit in that level (for me 1 notch down from the top of the green level).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So many different experiences with this system. I tried while driving and that's when the message popped up. I also tried when the engine was at running temps, but with the engine off. Same message. Tried when idling in the garage and well the same message. I will give it another go tomorrow. If that provides the same results, what should I do? Head to the dealer service dept.?

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
So many different experiences with this system. I tried while driving and that's when the message popped up. I also tried when the engine was at running temps, but with the engine off. Same message. Tried when idling in the garage and well the same message. I will give it another go tomorrow. If that provides the same results, what should I do? Head to the dealer service dept.?
I'm going to say yes to the dealer visit. While Porsche set it up to be fussy about getting useful and reliable results, it shouldn't be as difficult as you are relating.
The manuals state: Engine at operating temperature. Stop on level ground. Turn off engine. Wait approximately two minutes. Check oil level. Video here: Porsche Digital Owner’s Manuals - Porsche USA

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what ever reason, the finicky oil level measuring system worked this morning. It worked in driving mode, at idle and with the engine off and key turned to accessory. Kind of crazy I guess. The display said "engine oil level correct" or something to that effect with a little engine in the display and a green vertical bar to represent the oil level within the engine.

If one had never experienced using this system, they would probably believe it to be a nice convenience and maybe even more accurate or scientific and a nice feature. Then you read threads like this and the others I searched out before posting and realize, what were they thinking? lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had a low oil warning the other day before a drive home. Drove home (about 10 miles) and ordered some oil. Filled it up and since, I cannot get a reading! Tried all the above. As its not moaning, I assume all is okay... but its certainly not very comforting knowing that you might be missing key info when a simple dipstick would suffice! frustrating for what is such a lovely car!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@cb789 I feel your pain. High compression high performance cars should have a reliable oil check system.

Does anyone know if the oil level can be checked with an OBD2 reader? Or will it just display the fault if the oil level is low? How do Porsche technicians check the oil level if the system is down, which appears to be the case when oil service is rendered?

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
139 Posts
@cb789 I feel your pain. High compression high performance cars should have a reliable oil check system.

Does anyone know if the oil level can be checked with an OBD2 reader? Or will it just display the fault if the oil level is low? How do Porsche technicians check the oil level if the system is down, which appears to be the case when oil service is rendered?
As I said above, when changing oil it advises too low or too high immediately and then within an hour of driving the oil measurement goes from currently available to the info graphic i imagine Porsche techs know if it’s too high or low on filling, plus if they drain 5litres for example then they put 5 litres back. I’ve changed oils on several Boxster models numerous times and this has always been true, if no warnings on starting car the first time then you are within the green level spec of acceptable so drive on and in time (yes it can seem a long time!) the infographic appears and you can top up still within the green range as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts