Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my local mobile Indy mechanic who was the local Porsche centres Master Tech for 10 years now out on his own, come do some work on my Macan got chatting and he told me to speed up the system showing oil level after oil change (as I usually drive for 45+ mins to get it to register the level on the display).

So after oil change turn car on get oil up to temp 90 degrees in Australia he said, then open rear trunk, turn car off for 2 minutes, close boot, restart and check the level and it will show.

I think a helpful little tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
Do you normally fill in the engine oil up to the max indicator?
this is irrelevant.
it's quite obvious the "electronic' dipstick is out of cal, or not accurate to begin with.

either porsche should have anticipated a major faux pas such as this, or figured a less
half-assed way to check the oil.

god only knows if you never checked oil level and you lunched your engine,
guess who would enjoy the lunch tab.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
Is that 90 degrees F or C?
with regard to overfilling oil in the boxter, has anyone ever explored the possibility of using a vacuum oil changer
to remove too much oil? rather than deal with the hassle of oil removal from the sump drain, would it be possible
to do the job from the oil fill pipe?

that's the way i change the oil in my mb c300. the only problem would be the oil filter change. that would still
require having to access the filter from underneath the car. is there any reason the vacuum removal hose not get
down into or near the sump?

at least mercedes is kind enough to place the filter near the top of the engine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
with regard to overfilling oil in the boxter, has anyone ever explored the possibility of using a vacuum oil changer
to remove too much oil? rather than deal with the hassle of oil removal from the sump drain, would it be possible

that's the way i change the oil in my mb c300. the only problem would be the oil filter change. that would still
require having to access the filter from underneath the car. is there any reason the vacuum removal hose not get

at least mercedes is kind enough to place the filter near the top of the engine.
I don't think its possible, I couldn't use a vacuum system on my 987.2 either. The fill tube is not a straight shot to the pan. Have to snake a tube through 5-8-9-10.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Had my local mobile Indy mechanic who was the local Porsche centres Master Tech for 10 years now out on his own, come do some work on my Macan got chatting and he told me to speed up the system showing oil level after oil change (as I usually drive for 45+ mins to get it to register the level on the display).

So after oil change turn car on get oil up to temp 90 degrees in Australia he said, then open rear trunk, turn car off for 2 minutes, close boot, restart and check the level and it will show.

I think a helpful little tip!
How would that differ from warming up the oil so it drains properly and then opening the boot (trunk) to get at the fill tube?

·
Registered
‘21 Silver Boxster S
21 Posts
What really puzzles me is the warning that Porsche clearly gives about driving with an over or under filled oil level; then, after an oil change, FORCES you do drive the car for an extended period before it will tell you whether or not you just screwed up.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
What really puzzles me is the warning that Porsche clearly gives about driving with an over or under filled oil level; then, after an oil change, FORCES you do drive the car for an extended period before it will tell you whether or not you just screwed up.
there are many things i miss about my ferrari. most of all, the generally straight-forward method of a minor service.
changing the oil, first and foremost. everything is accessible, even if you don't have ramps or floor jacks. just slide your arm
under the car, remove the oil drain plug, and drain. the filter sits on top of the engine and stares you in the face.
after you've done it once, you're a pro.
since i have no lift, i guess i'm destined to drive 70mi. for the oil change and drop serious cash to have that pleasure.

glad it's only once / year.

·
Registered
359 Posts

The engine is dry sumped so no amount of sucking will empty it !
In regard to over or under filling after an oil change and driving, if you follow the oil amounts that Porsche stipulate then you cannot cause any damage during the test run, you can only overfill if you put too much in!
the difference between minimum and max on the electronic dipstick is 1L

Cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
How would that differ from warming up the oil so it drains properly and then opening the boot (trunk) to get at the fill tube?
I think that the poster was giving a short cut to enable an electronic level readout after an oil change WITHOUT driving the 70miles before it registers oil level.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 718 is wet sump.
Porsche refers to the sump as an “integrated dry sump,”
The oil is not stored at the bottom of the engine as a conventional wet sump is, the sump pan is only 3” in total. the oil tank is integrated into the engine block below the crankcase.

·
Registered
955 Posts
How much of the oil in the engine is actually removed/replaced with an oil change using the drain plug? With a dipstick, clear, new oil is obvious. Not so much on this car. Just curious.

·
Registered
359 Posts
How much of the oil in the engine is actually removed/replaced with an oil change using the drain plug? With a dipstick, clear, new oil is obvious. Not so much on this car. Just curious.
5.0 L
+ 0.7L if the filter is replaced
8.5L Dry fill

·
Registered
292 Posts
Porsche refers to the sump as an “integrated dry sump,”
The oil is not stored at the bottom of the engine as a conventional wet sump is, the sump pan is only 3” in total. the oil tank is integrated into the engine block below the crankcase.
That sounds like marketing jargon. You describe a wet sump but call it a modified dry sump because it's sexier.

To change the oil in a dry sump, you replace the oil in a tank somewhere. in ours, you drain the oil from the bottom of the crankcase just like a corolla or a civic.

The main point is that you CAN have too low of an oil level where the oil pickup will suck air, unlike a dry sump engine.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
53 Posts
That sounds like marketing jargon. You describe a wet sump but call it a modified dry sump because it's sexier.

To change the oil in a dry sump, you replace the oil in a tank somewhere. in ours, you drain the oil from the bottom of the crankcase just like a corolla or a civic.

The main point is that you CAN have too low of an oil level where the oil pickup will suck air, unlike a dry sump engine.
is there a manual on the 718 illustrating cut-aways or expanded views of major components and how they relate to
one another.
i hate to keep referring to my ferrari experiences, but their parts manual was unbelievable! it was nothing short
of a complete set of working drawings for the ENTIRE car. does porsche share such a document with us mere
mortals? someone here shared a partial sectional view of the 718 crankcase if i understood it. where did it come from?

some manufacturers keep these drawings secret for copyright reasons i suppose.

being a retired engineer, i can't "speaka da language" without drawings. i don't like to express anything without
a pictoral understanding. if someone could suggest a comprehensive source for such an animal, i would like
to know where a copy could be had.

if i can see a drawing, i promise not to ask stupid questions about systems!

·
Registered
345 Posts
5.0 L
+ 0.7L if the filter is replaced
8.5L Dry fill
so even with a filter change there is 2.8L or about a 1/3 of the old oil remaining ?🤔

1 - 20 of 28 Posts