Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
I've owned 3 Cayman, a 987, 981 and my new 718 GTS 4.0, changed oil in them myself. I always let the oil drain for at least an hour, usually more, and then put 7 1/2-8 quarts of oil in, never had an overfill. Yes, the engine is an "integrated dry sump" and oil "hides" in the engine but will eventually drain out if given enough time. Check your manual for the proper amount if oil to use for a change, but it's almost always 8 quarts. My Cayenne is more sensitive to pre-filled so I put 7 quarts in and drive it a bit before topping off. The flat sixes haven't had that problem.

Super Moderator
<snips> Yes, the engine is an "integrated dry sump" and oil "hides" in the engine but will eventually drain out if given enough time.
My dealer won't do an 'I'll wait." oil change. The service manager says it takes a long time to drain the oil properly.

Registered
is there a manual on the 718 illustrating cut-aways or expanded views of major components and how they relate to
one another.
i hate to keep referring to my ferrari experiences, but their parts manual was unbelievable! it was nothing short
of a complete set of working drawings for the ENTIRE car. does porsche share such a document with us mere
mortals? someone here shared a partial sectional view of the 718 crankcase if i understood it. where did it come from?

some manufacturers keep these drawings secret for copyright reasons i suppose.

being a retired engineer, i can't "speaka da language" without drawings. i don't like to express anything without
a pictoral understanding. if someone could suggest a comprehensive source for such an animal, i would like
to know where a copy could be had.

if i can see a drawing, i promise not to ask stupid questions about systems!
I think this might be what you're looking for. I also have the 718 parts guide downloaded, but it's too large of a PDF file to load onto this website.

Attachments

Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
I think this might be what you're looking for. I also have the 718 parts guide downloaded, but it's too large of a PDF file to load onto this website.
JNS 211
thank you very much! helps clear the mysteries! if you could share where i might get the parts guide, that would be excellent as well.馃榿

Registered
On the GTS 4.0, the only consistent way I've found to get an oil reading is to check it when restarting immediately after a refueling stop. The engine must be fully up to temperature then shut down, but not for too short or too long. I have gotten into that habit, as my car does consume oil.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts