Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to my first oil change I use to be able to check the oil level while driving at any time. I know it is not the ideal time to do that. Since the oil change, I'm getting a lot of "oil level not available" messages when checking on the go. When available, it shows I'm between 3/4 and topped off, which is slightly lower than when I received the car from the dealer. Nothing has changed relative to my driving habits and when I attempt to check the level. Any similar experiences?

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
According to the manual (2017) oil should be checked after the car has been at operating temperature (long enough to burn off any water). Stop the car on a level surface and let the oil drain down.

I find the best time is after a service station fill and before I start up and drive off. I don't like checking with the engine running 'cause I don't see how the sensors can get correct data.

As long as the display says "Oil level is correct." I suggest that oil level is correct. The gauge reads only the top 1 litre (close to a US quart) of 5.7 litres. Add oil when it says it needs it.

I'm now over 40,000Km, coming up the third service and have never had to add any.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your post implies that you've just recently had that first oil change - I've had two oil changes at the dealer, and I had squirrely readings for a few drives after both of them. Then things lined out and the level read full.

I don't expect to get a reading when the car is moving - I don't believe that is the state from which we are supposed to get level readings.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
Porsche has confirmed to me personally that after an oil change, it takes the car several heat cycles -- essentially, 2-3 days of driving the car -- to cycle the oil well enough to obtain an accurate level reading. That confirmation came from three sources -- the service department at my dealer, the indie garage that I have most of my maintenance performed at, and from Porsche NA itself.

The procedure during the oil change is to fill the engine with a set amount of oil. As I understand it, the engine's design allows for up to 1.5L of fill differential -- basically, 'padding' between too low and too high -- which is essentially a bottle and a half.

I learned this info because I made the same mistake mentioned above and started asking questions, as well as researching on my end. I ended up with a car that probably had as much as .3L too much oil in it for about 8.5K miles -- 6.7K of which was during a two-week-long road trip. All sources, including Porsche NA, said the situation was OK. I haven't had any issues in the ensuing year since.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven the car many times (500 miles) since the oil change. Prior to the change, I was able to check the oil level consistently while driving. And, that reading never differed from the technique described in the manual. My question/observation is, why is reading not now showing consistently (it does occasionally) while driving? Other than the oil change, nothing is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts