Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a three hour trip--almost all interstate and I noticed that my oil temp stayed at about 237F for most of the time on the interstate. It is a beautiful day here in PA with a temp of about 85. I probably averaged about 75 to 80mph in normal mode for most of the trip. This seems kind of high to me. Of course the temp came down when we exited the interstate and did city driving. Does this seem a bit high? I don't recall seeing the oil temp this high before. I already looked on Rennlist-- P9 and there is widely varying posts on oil temp. Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,266 Posts
I haven't done any long highway trips, and our ambient temperature isn't yet in the 70s but my gauge reads 106C (223F) constantly in Normal.

Greg

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have not seen higher then 232F oil temp on mine. But I drive it in sport mode almost all the time where the oil temp is noticeably lower compared to normal mode. I suspect in normal mode on a hot day 237F oil temp is just fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine runs 237 F at outsides temps ranging from 70 to 96 F. On the track I hit 240 F on a 101 F day after running 25 minutes

·
Registered
638 Posts
Pretty much the same non-track observations here. 230 normal with peaks to around 237. In Sport mode. cruising in low 200s, peaks another 15 or so degrees.

I tried to get below 201 in Sport with low-rpm cruising but could not break the 200 threshold.

The turbo does feel and smell hotter, immediate after shut-down in the garage, than my 987S did (to best of my recollection). Suppose that is normal with intercooler and turbo...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've done a few highway trips (>200 miles) and the oil temp ranges between 90C and 110C. Apologies for mixing units. I've never seen it above 110C even under full load up hill on a hot day (30C). My house is at 8000 feet and a recent trip to >12,000 feet had no effect on temp. As far as I can tell engine thermal regulation is spot on, as one might expect from a company that has done turbo engineering longer than most. Water temp stays at 90C no matter what. The correlation with Sport mode is an interesting observation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts