Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the opportunity to talk (via email) with Tom Murphy, author of the Wards Automotive articles above. I asked if he could pick only one engine to nominate for a 10-Best list where both the 2.0 and 2.5 were eligible...his reply follows:

"You ask a tough question. The 2.0L has significantly higher specific output, but the 2.5L is a half-second faster 0-60. But both engines have a ton in common, such as the fully variable oil pump, switchable water pump and lots of hardware. The 2.5L has the more sophisticated turbocharger. Both engines take 98 RON fuel but can run on lower-grade premium.
All depends what you want with this (car). Yes, the 2.5L gives you more power and torque, and I'll admit it's a bit more refined than the 2.0L. But I love the 2.0L, its induction sounds, its better fuel economy, its glorious drivability and, of course, the lower price.
If money's not an issue, maybe the 2.5L is the better choice.
Me, I'd pick the 2.0L because I appreciate high-end producers like Porsche delivering great technology at the lowest price possible."

·
Registered
459 Posts
That 2.0L could shoot up the ranks even more as Porsche expands on the use of hybrids. Car makers are always looking to pair the electric side to a hybrid system with a low displacement power plant. Porsche has set themselves up well for the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.