Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
When I got factory delivery of my 1973 911 I was able to use my US (Florida) plates during my 6000 mile "break-in" in Europe. As I've mentioned previously back then 6000 miles let you ship the car back to the USA as a "used" vehicle sans import and sales taxes. Not sure about that today but worth looking into...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was going to try to do European delivery, but it appeared at the time the car was going to be ready in the middle of winter. (Now, who knows?)

There are two good things about not picking the car up in Stuttgart, I'll be able to have PPF installed before the car has many miles, and I don't have to figure out how to get two people's luggage for 10 days travel into a Cayman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
and I don't have to figure out how to get two people's luggage for 10 days travel into a Cayman.
I’ve gone on long trips (over a month) with diving gears in tote with just a medium suitcase plus a backpack, should fit nicely in a Boxster. But that was me travelling alone. I would love to take European delivery, just don’t know how to convince my wife to carry less.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve gone on long trips (over a month) with diving gears in tote with just a medium suitcase plus a backpack, should fit nicely in a Boxster. But that was me travelling alone. I would love to take European delivery, just don’t know how to convince my wife to carry less.
No way, this is the easiest!
"Honey , don't have to bring anything , we are going to shop everything for you" (and send them back) . She will love the idea

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
203 Posts
When I got factory delivery of my 1973 911 I was able to use my US (Florida) plates during my 6000 mile "break-in" in Europe. As I've mentioned previously back then 6000 miles let you ship the car back to the USA as a "used" vehicle sans import and sales taxes. Not sure about that today but worth looking into...
That must have been a state by state thing. In 1975 when I was discharged from the army I brought a US spec Opel Manta back. When I registered it in Wisconsin the [email protected]#$%^& charged me sales tax on it as a new vehicle even though it was a three year old car with 30,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s our plan for our next purchase, a new Cayenne for the wife in a couple of years. Tried with the Cayman but worldly events prevailed.
You have to go to Leipzig to drive on their track - IN THEIR CAR

My son got to drive a Spyder (no GTS 4.0s available). The in car instructor has you push harder than you dare.
125+ mph on the straight.
Fresh out of the car, s#*& eating grin.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It both looks great and was a special delivery experience. Memorable!

I'm puzzled by the thread title though ...
I had been tracking the ship's progress and the thought crossed my mind, "hope the boat don't sink", followed by, "Even with my luck - never gonna happen." I checked and my car was on that boat. And it sank.
Guess my luck is improving.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
That must have been a state by state thing. In 1975 when I was discharged from the army I brought a US spec Opel Manta back. When I registered it in Wisconsin the [email protected]#$%^& charged me sales tax on it as a new vehicle even though it was a three year old car with 30,000 miles on it.
Wow. Two years after my gig. I remember the plates I used in Europe were Florida (lots of comments). About a year later I moved to NY State and transferred plates up there. Never any issues. You're probably correct in assuming that it was a state thing. I wonder what the process is today?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts