Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day All,

I'm due to lock down my spec in the coming days. It's a BGTS which comes standard with matte black Carrera S wheels. I've opted for Crayon and combining this with the Graphite and Crayon Sport Tex. I appreciate this is a bit left field for a GTS as most have Alcantara but I'm in love with that interior to which I'm building my spec.

So, I've played with Satin Platinum but can't help think there is a bit too much yellow in that colour, depending on light. I also noticed what is a vast difference in colour depending on what I'm looking at. i.e. My OPC has this wheel on display sitting on it's own and it looked quite grey and I liked it. However, they have the same wheels on a Boxster and they look brighter.

Does anyone have a recent build with these wheels that wouldn't mind sharing a pic?

I played with the idea of keeping the standard colour but for me personally, I am not a fan and feel it doesn't go well with my chosen interior.

Second choice is Carrera Classic.

Can't seem to make up my mind!

Thank you for listening and any input that you can provide.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My $.02...
Go with either the standard black wheels or the high gloss wheels but add the body colored side intakes. To me that's a nice combo! The black side intakes with the black wheels is just too much black otherwise!
Love the Crayon Sport-Tex interior with that color.
MOO!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you CaymanMatt. From an exterior only pov I like the standard wheels. I'm just not convinced I'll like the black in the long run. I'll start googling!

Thanks again,
P

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thank you CaymanMatt. From an exterior only pov I like the standard wheels. I'm just not convinced I'll like the black in the long run. I'll start googling!

Thanks again,
P
P:
I do understand. For our CGTS, I did the Satin Platinum wheels which I think goes well with the Graphite Blue exterior. I'm not a big fan of black wheels and didn't like how it went with the GB. With Chalk/Crayon and the painted side intakes on a Boxster, the black matched nicely with the convertible top without shouting "Look at me!" BTW, for the fun of it I tried the configurator with this combo on the Cayman GTS and did not like the combination!

Have fun with the configuration and your final design. It will be awesome!! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good day All,

I'm due to lock down my spec in the coming days. It's a BGTS which comes standard with matte black Carrera S wheels. I've opted for Crayon and combining this with the Graphite and Crayon Sport Tex. I appreciate this is a bit left field for a GTS as most have Alcantara but I'm in love with that interior to which I'm building my spec.

So, I've played with Satin Platinum but can't help think there is a bit too much yellow in that colour, depending on light. I also noticed what is a vast difference in colour depending on what I'm looking at. i.e. My OPC has this wheel on display sitting on it's own and it looked quite grey and I liked it. However, they have the same wheels on a Boxster and they look brighter.

Does anyone have a recent build with these wheels that wouldn't mind sharing a pic?

I played with the idea of keeping the standard colour but for me personally, I am not a fan and feel it doesn't go well with my chosen interior.

Second choice is Carrera Classic.

Can't seem to make up my mind!

Thank you for listening and any input that you can provide.
Of course this is a personal decision MOG, but you asked so I'm happy to give you my opinion! I like the satin platinum, but personally I prefer satin black for the contrast. Is the latter a consideration? I prefer both to the unpainted wheel. I think they are a better match to the muted exterior, as I think the unpainted wheel is a bit too bright.

I'm also a BIG fan of the Exterior Package Painted option (side intakes, front grill slats, rear fascia), especially when coupled with black wheels.

Beautiful car by the way!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And one more: View attachment 24083
I don't have any up close but you can so on in on these posted photos I believe to get a better idea.
Both pics have sealed the deal for me! I like this design the best, of what is on offer. If cost was no issue, I'd move up to the ... can't recall the name now but the very multi spoke one. However, I've killed my budget and want to stick to it. Thanks so much for sending these through!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course this is a personal decision MOG, but you asked so I'm happy to give you my opinion! I like the satin platinum, but personally I prefer satin black for the contrast. Is the latter a consideration? I prefer both to the unpainted wheel. I think they are a better match to the muted exterior, as I think the unpainted wheel is a bit too bright.

I'm also a BIG fan of the Exterior Package Painted option (side intakes, front grill slats, rear fascia), especially when coupled with black wheels.

Beautiful car by the way!
Thank you Third for you input and yes, I posted as I do want some opinions! IF I was doing a black interior I would have stuck with black to tie it all in. However, I am going with what I feel is the most non-GTS interior one could ask for. I played with Miami Blue which would have looked good with black wheels and some parts painted but felt it would look too shouty for me in the long run.

Expected delivery is early November and fingers crossed it all comes together. Thanks again.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Both pics have sealed the deal for me! I like this design the best, of what is on offer. If cost was no issue, I'd move up to the ... can't recall the name now but the very multi spoke one. However, I've killed my budget and want to stick to it. Thanks so much for sending these through!
I'm glad I could help.

I don't know your history with Porsche but if you're like me and this is your first, prepare to be amazed!! We've had our CGTS now for about 15 months & thoroughly enjoy it. We haven't taken her to the track yet but just being on the road & feeling the total connectedness to the tarmac below is awesome. We've taken her on long weekend trips & I also keep telling my wife that this is the most comfortable car that I have ever sat in as a passenger. Best of all, there is plenty of storage space for those long weekend and realistically probably more. It's just all around a really special vehicle. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good evening All,

Took a while to find but finally tracked down some pics of Platinum wheels on Crayon. The wheels in the showroom looked quite bright and was a bit concerned it would clash and/or be washed out as I feared it would be too close to the paint. Am I overthinking this? I feel I am! :)

Please keep in mind I'm paring this with the attached interior. As both the inside and out is mostly Crayon/Chalk, I had concerns I was going down a configuration that will look odd, taking the lighter wheels into consideration. Seems both Crayon and the Platinum wheels can quite different depending on the lighting.
661_p12_l.jpg
661_p14_l.jpg
4f9dd669-9bf4-4ed6-a962-99624a6ebee4.jpg
1920x1080.jpeg
1920x1080.jpeg
6f0083e060d35a159a844cf6bfee5b22_635x475_V2.jpg

I know the safest bet would be to go with the satin black wheels but as mentioned, I am not a massive fan of black wheels - for me personally. LOVE how it looks in pics but can't image I would want to own it....I know, strange.

Specs are to lock down Tues. Open to your feedback and many thanks to all above for the help!

·
Registered
448 Posts
They look fabulous to me...then again, I would have preferred Platinum Satin wheels on my BS. Although, black is growing on me.

Reactions: MOG_80TH

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Gents! My worries have fully subsided. Can't tell you how much positive info and help I've been able to gather from this forum.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's a really slick pic! I rather like the black air scoop on most Caymans (Is the plural of Cayman Caymen?) but in that color scheme it presents a nice integrated package.
Hey, Jim:
I vote for Cayman as both plural and singular!!?
Some of the exterior colors look phenomenal with black intakes but GB really needed to have the intakes painted.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Breathtaking interior! (sigh)

Black satin or grey wheels would look good in a conservative kind of way, from there on (white?, red?, yellow?) the sky is the limit!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I know the safest bet would be to go with the satin black wheels but as mentioned, I am not a massive fan of black wheels - for me personally.
FWIW, I'm not a fan of black wheels either. I think wheels should appear "metal", which is to say steel or aluminimyuimium. But then, my preferences go back to last century so don't give them too much credence.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts