Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that already have their 718s is (are) there any option(s) you wished you had specced or not specced and why?

·
Registered
716 Posts
The only things I would change are:
1) I didn't get the lighting design package. I would get this if I ordered the car again. It adds various interior lights in places like the sun visors, etc. That would be nice to have.
2) I got the standard headlights. Next time I would upgrade to the LEDs. The standard headlights are a bit on the dim side, and I've heard the LEDs are fantastic.

Then the one option I did get but would not get in the future is the dual zone climate control. I never use it.

That is it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Then the one option I did get but would not get in the future is the dual zone climate control. I never use it.
Isn't the real benefit of that option the automatic thermostat rather then the 2-zone? I wouldn't wanna skip that.
I believe without it you only get warmer/colder and more fan/less fan. Like in the 90s.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I regret not springing for two things:

- Brushed aluminum interior trim. It's about $1k from the factory, and would have been worth it not just for looks and for minimizing glare, but for quality, too. The OEM aluminum-look plastic trim is not easy to clean. To retrofit it aftermarket would cost nearly $2k for the dash/center console alone, and that doesn't count the door trim. D'oh!
- Porsche Connect Plus. The more I drive, the more I (slightly) regret not having OEM nav, not to mention full multimedia connectivity. I rely on CarPlay for Nav and it works fine most of the time, but that will not be the case in remote areas where cell reception is 3G or slower. All that said, I still don't think PCCP is worth $3.5k and $189/year after the first year.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I regret not springing for two things:- Porsche Connect Plus. The more I drive, the more I (slightly) regret not having OEM nav, not to mention full multimedia connectivity. I rely on CarPlay for Nav and it works fine most of the time, but that will not be the case in remote areas where cell reception is 3G or slower. All that said, I still don't think PCP is worth $3.5k and $189/year after the first year.
So I get the OEM nav component (I got it for that same reason), but what multimedia component does PCP add?

(I'm also confused by the two different apps and what I'll use them for.)

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
So I get the OEM nav component (I got it for that same reason), but what multimedia component does PCP add?

(I'm also confused by the two different apps and what I'll use them for.)
Trying to remember the distinctions specifically, but they're substantial. Off the top of my head:
- Separate data SIM card for proprietary telephonics (yes, it costs money to maintain)
- WiFi connectivity (including Hotspot functionality)
- Expanded Porsche Car Connect app use
- Porsche Connect app use (it's useless unless you have WiFi, which only works with PCP)
- Porsche-approved-app integration with PCM4/nav, including Google Maps and Google Earth (though the latter has been discontinued for 2018, IIRC)

Most of the above functions are supplanted with an iPhone with CarPlay. However, in retrospect, I'd rather have the piece of mind of the car having its own telephonics, particularly in those aforementioned remote areas and for emergencies. For instance, I'm not at all sure the car is able to contact Porsche in the event of an accident without PCP.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Trying to remember the distinctions specifically, but they're substantial.
Hey, it's not easy to understand it - they don't make it easy. And I haven't really found an SA geeky enough to break it down.

- Separate data SIM card for proprietary telephonics (yes, it costs money to maintain)
Right, and I think you get (in the US) the first year free. Side note: My Fiat 500e had free SIM-based connectivity for the entire time I had it.

- WiFi connectivity (including Hotspot functionality)
That's the part that I've been trying to understand by reading the manuals I can access. On the one hand, it sounds like you can use your phone as a hotspot to give the car connectivity via WiFi, but something else made it sound the other way around. Very confusing.

- Expanded Porsche Car Connect app use
- Porsche Connect app use (it's useless unless you have WiFi, which only works with PCP)
And that gets back to the part where I can't figure out the difference between the two apps. They seem to do the same thing. I will note that the Car Connect app has NOT been updated for iPhone X, which is concerning. The Connect app has. They both have Apple Watch apps.

- Porsche-approved-app integration with PCM4/nav, including Google Maps and Google Earth (though the latter has been discontinued for 2018, IIRC)
I thought they still listed GE as a thing, but having built-in NAV using Google Maps where it can, including their traffic/routing is nice. The only advantage I can see to CarPlay/Apple Maps is, oddly, Watch integration. If you haven't experienced it then it's kinda cool - you can see your next turn on the watch and it will 'tap' you when your turn is upcoming.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Hey, it's not easy to understand it - they don't make it easy. And I haven't really found an SA geeky enough to break it down. Right, and I think you get (in the US) the first year free. Side note: My Fiat 500e had free SIM-based connectivity for the entire time I had it.
As did my BMW for the first three years. Yeah, part of the reason I opted against PCCP was principle! >:D

That's the part that I've been trying to understand by reading the manuals I can access. On the one hand, it sounds like you can use your phone as a hotspot to give the car connectivity via WiFi, but something else made it sound the other way around. Very confusing.
I can verify that I've not been able to get it to work with my Hotspot-enabled iPhone X. Even the Owner's Manual isn't clear on procedure. I've tried every which way to get the phone tethered; no dice.

And that gets back to the part where I can't figure out the difference between the two apps. They seem to do the same thing. I will note that the Car Connect app has NOT been updated for iPhone X, which is concerning. The Connect app has. They both have Apple Watch apps.
I think the two apps are similar basically, but one (Porsche Car Connect) is for use with PCC and the other (Porsche Connect) is for use with PCCP. The key for the latter is phone tethering; if that's done, some of the Porsche Connect app's expanded functionality becomes use-able. Thing is, like you, I've not found a source that outlines any of the apps' differences and uses; one basically has to try each. :: grumble! ::

I thought they still listed GE as a thing, but having built-in NAV using Google Maps where it can, including their traffic/routing is nice. The only advantage I can see to CarPlay/Apple Maps is, oddly, Watch integration. If you haven't experienced it then it's kinda cool - you can see your next turn on the watch and it will 'tap' you when your turn is upcoming.
I haven't sprung for an Apple Watch yet; not sure I will (I'm not a watch wearer). But that does sound cool.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Isn't the real benefit of that option the automatic thermostat rather then the 2-zone? I wouldn't wanna skip that.
I believe without it you only get warmer/colder and more fan/less fan. Like in the 90s.
No, that is automatic climate control. I have that too. The dual zone is where you can set different temperatures on the driver side and passenger side. Besides the first day when I played around with the feature I always set both sides to the same temperature.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I regret not springing for two things:

- Brushed aluminum interior trim. It's about $1k from the factory, and would have been worth it not just for looks and for minimizing glare, but for quality, too. The OEM aluminum-look plastic trim is not easy to clean. To retrofit it aftermarket would cost nearly $2k for the dash/center console alone, and that doesn't count the door trim. D'oh!
I plan to option this as I think it looks a lot better than the standard Galvano Silver. The door trim pieces are only available as an option if you also opt for leather [not sure if you need full leather or if the cheaper pack will allow you to add it too], and even then it is extra.

·
Registered
701 Posts
No, that is automatic climate control. I have that too. The dual zone is where you can set different temperatures on the driver side and passenger side. Besides the first day when I played around with the feature I always set both sides to the same temperature.
I'm confused? Auto climate and dual zone is bundled together as option "2-Zone Automatic Climate Control". My understanding is that without it you don't get automatic climate control. And yes I also set both sides the same temperature but I use the automatic thermostat feature of course. Maybe someone without option 573 can tell us if they can set a temperature?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only things I would change are:
1) I didn't get the lighting design package. I would get this if I ordered the car again. It adds various interior lights in places like the sun visors, etc. That would be nice to have.
2) I got the standard headlights. Next time I would upgrade to the LEDs. The standard headlights are a bit on the dim side, and I've heard the LEDs are fantastic.

That is it.
I have both 1 & 2 and am very happy with both those choices. I have dual climate control on all my vehicles and have never used it. Though, the dual climate control was part of the Premium Package Plus option.......

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only option I probably would have added is the 20" wheels. The reason I chose the 19" wheels is that many Porsche forums/threads discussed that the ride with the 19" wheels was more comfortable.......DK, others can comment based upon their experience.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm confused? Auto climate and dual zone is bundled together as option "2-Zone Automatic Climate Control". My understanding is that without it you don't get automatic climate control. And yes I also set both sides the same temperature but I use the automatic thermostat feature of course. Maybe someone without option 573 can tell us if they can set a temperature?
It looks like the options have changed from when I got my car. When I placed my order (November 2016) you could choose automatic climate control by itself, and then add in 2-zone automatic climate control for more money. Looking at the configurator now it seems this is not possible anymore and you get 2-zone or nothing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I only got one option (PDK) on my Cayman.

And so far (2200 miles), I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only got one option (PDK) on my Cayman.

And so far (2200 miles), I have no regrets.
Though, my friend how does that comport with "If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing to excess."
- - - - E.L.

I guess less is more.......PDK, good choice!

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
My daughter (one of my passengers) likes it really cold in the summer. I start shivering where she's just comfortable.:D

I wanted the 18" wheels for comfort. I'm glad I got them. I wanted the 19" wheels so I could get Michelin tyres. I'm OK with the Pirellis but I've preferred Michelins for 40+ years.

The Bi-xenon lights are standard here. I like good lights even though I don't drive a lot at night so the low powered lights wouldn't have been good and the LEDs were expensive.

I went PDK 'cause my left knee is now wonky!

The GT steering wheel felt better--I bought it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts