Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, if it were not for bad luck i wouldn't have any at all. i think i am going to be stuck with the stock exhaust forever.

first tried to order a fabspeed exhaust directly in november only to have them not even start building it by the ship date and there was no way to have it to me in the time needed for my weekend at daytona. canceled the order. they gave me a line about the guy who took my order not working there anymore (almost 2 weeks after i paid for it) and my order was left sitting somewhere that no one looks at. funny how no one ever mentioned anything about the delayed delivery time not to mention the delay in building it. they also conveniently forgot to tell me that the warranty would be voided with track use considering i explicitly detailed how the car was going to be used and why i wanted the system - track use.

tried to order one from vivid racing 3 weeks ago on a friday and had to cancel that after i found out about the lack of warranty on fabspeed cats with track use. vivid tried telling me there would be no problem getting it replaced if something happened due to track use, asked for that in writing and of course they could not do that so i canceled that order.

the following monday they offered a slight discount and i ordered the armytix exhaust from them at a pretty significant increase in price vs the cost of the fabspeed, even with the cat. i was told they had one set in stock, so i paid for it. that was on 3/26/18. got a generic followup email 2 days later stating "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your order has been processed and is scheduled to be drop shipped directly from our vendor or manufacture".[/FONT]

hmmm, that sure doesn't sound like it is in stock to me. when i inquired i was told they consider an item in stock if the manufacture, who is in taiwan, has it in stock. vivid never had one in stock, there was one somewhere in taiwan. their response said it would ship in 7-10 days. 9 days later and there is still no tracking information sent to me or vivid. not even any followup emails. another hmmm.

called vivid back today and got the same line, if it is in stock in taiwan they consider it to be in stock for their sales. obviously this defies conventional logic and we had a conversation about that. if something is in stock i can put my hand on it, and you can't do that if it is across the world somewhere. he went on to say they send payments to taiwan on tuesdays and thursdays but for some reason the order i placed on a monday was not sent to taiwan for 3 days which resulted in another delay. they said they would contact taiwan to get a shipping update but i may not hear back from them until monday due to the differences in time zones / days. being completely frustrated at this point i gave them until the end of the day to give me a tracking number showing me it was already shipped, and if they could not produce that i was canceling the order.

what ever happened to honesty and customer service? we are not talking about a $5 part here. the armytrix exhaust was over $3,500. i would expect top notch customer service for an order of this magnitude but apparently i was wrong. so to anyone else considering placing an order heed this warning and make sure you get specific dates for everything before you send any money. had i know this was going to be the annoying journey it was i would have never placed the order.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

·
Registered
89 Posts
^This story almost ruined my Friday! Sorry man, that sounds awful.
Maybe I should order my exhaust now and maybe it will be here when my car arrives? Yikes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Part of your problem is that this is a major holiday weekend in China and Taiwan - Tomb Sweeping Day, which is my favorite holiday name ever! They will be back in the office on Monday, which might help you out. Most likely they were closed Thursday and Friday. I find that my folks here in the US rarely have a grasp of the holiday schedules of our offshore suppliers. Good luck, I would be frustrated in your shoes too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
^This story almost ruined my Friday! Sorry man, that sounds awful.
Maybe I should order my exhaust now and maybe it will be here when my car arrives? Yikes.
thanks for the sympathy. don't bother with vivid :)

just had another wrinkle added to this mess.

finally got my invoice for the order i placed on 3/23 (forgot i had placed the order on friday but they didn't do anything with it until the following monday) just now and it said there will be additional import duties and taxes that will be assessed by the shipping company in addition to charging me for shipping. i was going to be a nice guy and give them until monday as the deadline to be shipped but i think this just put me over the edge.

just had a 10 minute call with vivid trying to cancel my order. they were trying to make me wait until the package arrives from taiwan, then ship it back, then wait for the credit card refund. guess my response :) i told them they have 2 choices - refund me immediately or i can call the credit card company and dispute the payment i made 2 weeks ago as no product has been delivered. i just got off the phone with capital one...

so an even bigger word to the wise - be careful what you order and from who, and make sure you get every single possible detail in writing before you send anyone payment.

Part of your problem is that this is a major holiday weekend in China and Taiwan - Tomb Sweeping Day, which is my favorite holiday name ever! They will be back in the office on Monday, which might help you out. Most likely they were closed Thursday and Friday. I find that my folks here in the US rarely have a grasp of the holiday schedules of our offshore suppliers. Good luck, I would be frustrated in your shoes too.

holidays i can understand, even when i don't know about them :) the thing that just sticks is the fact they told me they had the part in stock, which to any sane person means in their building in arizona, not in a factory in taiwan. if they had been honest up front instead of telling me what they think i wanted to hear about the fabspeed cat (bold lie!), the stock location, the shipping times and the additional import duties i probably would have just accepted it as a hazard of buying parts for a brand new model of car.

if i ran my business in a similar fashion i would no longer own a business.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for. The fabspeed is good for a large weight reduction. The army trix is good if you don’t have the pse already as it includes everything needed to make it. Your best bet is to get one based off what you want. What one person likes, you may not. Flat 6 motorsports has a large selection of exhausts for our cars too. And go on you tube to get an idea of what they sound like. I had the awe, but it was too loud for daily driving for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea which exhaust is better among these? Are you also upgrading the ECU?

andros hit the major points. originally i wanted the fabspeed for the weight reduction and i like the fact they offered a high flow cat, but since it can't be used on the track that ended it. the armytrix wasn't a huge weight savings but it sort of mimicked the pse, but to a greater degree, and the reviews i found were pretty good.

i'm taking this as a sign that i should just do this track season with the stock setup and start looking for a track-only cayman, probably something from the last generation that someone else has built and absorbed the majority of the up-front costs.

while the idea of a tune is nice i did not want to do anything to the car that i could not undo in my garage/shop, and the tune falls into that category, that could void the warranty. exchanging an exhaust is a fairly simple task and would cost me nothing. if something came up that i needed to make a warranty claim on the same could not be said about a tune. perhaps when the warranty is up i'll look into a tune but not this early in the car's life.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after filing a dispute with my credit card company on friday vivd magically issued a refund to me yesterday, which can only mean one thing - the exhaust has never left taiwan. i was told explicitly, several times, that a refund could only be issued once they knew where the package was and that it was not in transit. since it didn't arrive at my door and they still could not provide me with the tracking information the only logical solution is that it was never shipped.

buyer beware!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts