Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People claim there will be no 2020 Base or S 718’s available in the US because of an over supply of cars. Just checked a few dealers here on Long Island to see what new 718 stock is available and from what I can see there is not much. Is this just local?

·
Registered
166 Posts
They are selling well, but I noticed there are a couple nicely equipped 718s at Porsche of the Main Line and got an email they are $10k off the advertised price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quick glance at dealers I had been checking out pre-order and see about the same number of base cars available. Surprising since the GTS has come out since I was looking hard. Of course, they would push/supply the higher-end models at the expense of the base. More of that to come with F6 entries in the market I suspect.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The 2020 718 release has been delayed 'cause Porsche is moving the production line--the Taycan orders have exceeded all expectations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think there's an overstock issue. Demand saw a big drop off with all the 4 cylinder sound hate even after offering sport exhaust as standard on all trims so I think Porsche USA would rather just focus on the 992 and Taycan releases and rely on Macan to boost sales numbers while they wait for expansion of the Evo flat 6 to other trims below GT4/Spyder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P
I don't think there's an overstock issue. Demand saw a big drop off with all the 4 cylinder sound hate even after offering sport exhaust as standard on all trims so I think Porsche USA would rather just focus on the 992 and Taycan releases and rely on Macan to boost sales numbers while they wait for expansion of the Evo flat 6 to other trims below GT4/Spyder.
Porsche is not taking anymore 718 orders. Production has been suspended so the factory can be build GT’s and Spyders. 718 production will resume 2 qtr 2020.
This has been done previously and does not reflect on future of 718 which is needed to maintain fleet mileage emission limits.

·
Registered
209 Posts
They are selling well, but I noticed there are a couple nicely equipped 718s at Porsche of the Main Line and got an email they are $10k off the advertised price.
Sounds like the annual winter sell-off. I imagine Main Line only likes to sell Macans and Cayennes in cold weather with those driveways ;) (we are talking West Chester, I presume).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Demand saw a big drop off with all the 4 cylinder sound hate
People love to say stuff like this. It’s rhetoric.

2007 Cayman sales, US: 6027

Would you say there was a “big” drop from 2016 to 2018?

Recall that the ‘16 numbers include the GT4, which was not offered in ‘18. The GT4 accounts for about 700 units, so if one considers the comparable base/S/GTS units YoY, the ‘18 Caymans actually outsold the last year of the NA6 versions. Whodathunkit.

However, the YoY difference for the Boxster from ‘16 to ‘18 isn’t as friendly, with 2670 and 2097 units, respectively, so the numbers are basically flat overall. Then again, the Boxster has in recent years become a shadow of the sales it enjoyed in its heyday, MYs 1999-2001, when it sold a combined 38,271 units. The high water mark was 2000, with 13,312.

13,312 to 2670. Now that is a big drop off. And that decline had nothing to do with cylinder hate.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It would be interesting to see a comparison over the past 10 years or so of the sales of every two-seat sports car.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
I tried to get some sales numbers also. It is frustrating, as there is no breakdown by model (B vs C). What is saw though was that proportionately, 911 numbers and 98x numbers tracked very well. They were dropping together...

Maybe it has something to do with the Macan sales which went through the roof.

Another factor maybe that the go-go days of the stock market are over (for a while at least). People got some funny money from 2013 on and it was easier to blow it on a Porsche, to show that you have arrived. Although the market has still being going up, the volatility is unnerving and for a lot of people it may mean that they have arrived, but they don't know where!

Luckily for Porsche, the Chinese were convinced that they had arrived!

·
Registered
33 Posts
People love to say stuff like this. It’s rhetoric.

2007 Cayman sales, US: 6027

Would you say there was a “big” drop from 2016 to 2018?

Recall that the ‘16 numbers include the GT4, which was not offered in ‘18. The GT4 accounts for about 700 units, so if one considers the comparable base/S/GTS units YoY, the ‘18 Caymans actually outsold the last year of the NA6 versions. Whodathunkit.

However, the YoY difference for the Boxster from ‘16 to ‘18 isn’t as friendly, with 2670 and 2097 units, respectively, so the numbers are basically flat overall. Then again, the Boxster has in recent years become a shadow of the sales it enjoyed in its heyday, MYs 1999-2001, when it sold a combined 38,271 units. The high water mark was 2000, with 13,312.

13,312 to 2670. Now that is a big drop off. And that decline had nothing to do with cylinder hate.
I can admit when I'm wrong. I'm glad that the facts show that people were still buying the 718 despite the hate from the automotive media. Goes to show that the "sound purists" weren't going to buy one anyways.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can admit when I'm wrong. I'm glad that the facts show that people were still buying the 718 despite the hate from the automotive media. Goes to show that the "sound purists" weren't going to buy one anyways.
I wouldn't go so far as to say you were wrong, just made the mistake of taking the media at face value. There has been a softening of the market for 2-seaters for some time. Corvette sales typically match the entire Porsche catalogue all by themselves, yet saw an even worse decline than the 98x over the same period. GM is counting on the most radical redesign of a model ever to rescue it.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Riiiight.

I'm saying this as a Moderator: Please don't post on this forum again until you actually have facts straight, then can use those facts to support your blather. Bias based on speculation and hearsay, and forming opinions based solely on others' opinions, has no place here.

As for your 'hate from the automotive media' quip in another post: funny how that 'hate' landed the 718 a place in Car&Driver's 10Best list, innit?

:: rolls eyes ::

·
Registered
14 Posts
(Not currently an owner, so just a tire-kicker here): as a former 911 and Cayenne owner and “thrifty” aka cheap type, I’m concerned about longevity for my next Porsche purchase. Do you think the high boost (~ 20psi) design of the 4 cyl turbo might have an adverse effect on engine life or possible excess oil consumption? I REALLY hope that Cayenne issue doesn’t repeat or my wife will kill me. Trying to weigh this as a 718 design issue against the new flat 6 of the GT4. I prefer the low end torque and turbo performance at high altitude where I live, but at the same time I want a long term car. I’ve learned the hard way that if you can’t afford a new Porsche, you can’t afford a used Porsche. So I’m only buying new from here on out.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
European companies, especially the VAG and Mercedes have been using turbo and supercharging for at least 20 years (in 2001 I bought a supercharged Mercedes 200 Kompressor) with no forced induction related problems. I think the technology is well understood and reliable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was worried about this kind of thing back in the 90s. As the HP overall has climbed for all engines, I think those advancements allow for more boost. Think about the high compression ratios in non-boosted engines, for example. For these engines, that would likely be 12.5:1, which is what the 86/BRZ NA flat-4 has.

Meanwhile, the 911 flat-6 runs up to 16 psi boost with 10:1 compression. 718 runs 20 psi and 9.5:1 compression. I'm not an engine expert, but I'd guess all three engines mentioned here are subject to similar pressure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys... encouraging indeed. I’ll note that the Porsche engine that gave me trouble with excess oil consumption was NA in a 2008 model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts