Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I started a separate thread on this right after it was removed from the Porsche website. Regardless as to whether it's available as a PDF or not, I concur with alf_17, the previously available online manual was fantastic, loaded with links to everything you wanted and related sections, etc. This next comment is just a personal preference, but I HATE trying to read something important to me on a cell phone, I'd much rather use my desktop PC or my convertible laptop/tablet. I just don't understand Porsche taking this away from us. They did this once before, but it came back quickly ...... not this time however :(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
"manipulated variable" Google it.
Thanks for the suggestion but I understand the concept. My rhetorical question was about why something General Motors did should have any bearing on what Porsche chose to do. The direct (and implied) answer is nothing other than that GM doing something "proves" that it can be done.

It strikes me that the online manual and indeed the entire website which contained it was a feature of Porsche USA and not necessarily a decision of Porsche corporate in Zuffenhausen.

I too used to visit the online manual every so often but I won't scream about it now being gone.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
May I politely beg to differ ...on a point. It would be highly unusual nowadays for PDFs NOT to be involved in some way. If not being the actual transport mechanism to the printing imagesetters, direct-to-print mechanisms and the on-line web site servers. I agree with Bill H ...though would use a more politic terminology:) My inclination is that by keeping the manual 'on-line' accessed by known (ie signed in users) Porsche derive considerable hidden marketing data on what is being searched, read and when. This is not possible after letting a discrete PDF instance out into the wild.
I would for sure have thought that PDF's were not involved in the printing of manuals, but I guess things change.
In any case if PDF's were used it would not be directly suited for online distribution as it would have to contain bleed and crop marks needed for the manufacturing of the manual, the front and back cover of the manual would also very likely be in separate files.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would for sure have thought that PDF's were not involved in the printing of manuals, but I guess things change.
In any case if PDF's were used it would not be directly suited for online distribution as it would have to contain bleed and crop marks needed for the manufacturing of the manual, the front and back cover of the manual would also very likely be in separate files.
I left desktop publishing a decade or two back. Even then PDFs were endemically ubiquitous. Output routines were/are extremely versatile w.r.t. crops, bleeds, colour targets, CMYK layers... whatever. The key thing is the source content - the output mechanisms do the rest. PDFs are used. If you can't find one then it's because they don't want to release them;-/ I'll have a butchers at the printed manual and see if I can find a corroborating oddity reflected in the APP.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Recently I wrote Porsche proclaiming my dissatisfaction with them concerning the 2017-2019 Cayman Owners Manual not being available in PDF form. Here is their reply:
_

"Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America in regard to your Cayman and the Owner's Manual.

We appreciate your feedback on the iManuals website, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please know, while we do not have PDF versions available, you can now access the owners manual from the Porsche Good to Know app. It is available for free in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

If you have any additional questions, we welcome you to contact us by email or by calling 1-800-PORSCHE. We are available Monday through Friday, 8AM to 9PM EST.
____
I DO NOT believe there is not a PDF of this file, it HAD to have been put into text somewhere. This is just plain silly. I'm disappointed in Porsche and that is something I thought would never happen.

Have you hugged your Porsche today? (it won't catch or transmit anything but fun)
I am with you on this and since it is appearently available in French I am sure an English version exists... IMHO reading it on a phone is just not good enough, I guess I have to wait for the hardcopy that should come with the car!

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is a total bummer. As others have commented, reading a manual in detail on a phone is a looser (assuming it contains all the same details). When I wanted to understand the minute details of the system there's no way using the phone could meet the need. In fact the printed manual is a PITA as well when trying to flip pages that were so capably handled by the links in the online version. This is ridiculous that Porsche has done this. It takes some temerity to suggest that a movie clip is a sufficient substitute for what was already being used successfully by many. And surely it couldn't have required any substantial maintenance. Just simply a stupid move!!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’ll join the complaint train here too. I would love a pdf of the owners manual as it’s by far my preferred way to read through it. I can keep it on my phone and search for key words as needed. Very annoying that an electronic file does not exist.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I’ll join the complaint train here too. I would love a pdf of the owners manual as it’s by far my preferred way to read through it. I can keep it on my phone and search for key words as needed. Very annoying that an electronic file does not exist.
It would be much easier to search. The printed manual is horrible when trying to find specific subjects. With a pdf, one could search words or terms to find things much more quickly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a thread on the original online manual as well. It was very nice, with links to associated areas, good search capabilities ............ why they removed it from the website is beyond me.

·
Registered
2019 718S
44 Posts
Recently I wrote Porsche proclaiming my dissatisfaction with them concerning the 2017-2019 Cayman Owners Manual not being available in PDF form. Here is their reply:
_

"Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America in regard to your Cayman and the Owner's Manual.

We appreciate your feedback on the iManuals website, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please know, while we do not have PDF versions available, you can now access the owners manual from the Porsche Good to Know app. It is available for free in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

If you have any additional questions, we welcome you to contact us by email or by calling 1-800-PORSCHE. We are available Monday through Friday, 8AM to 9PM EST.
____
I DO NOT believe there is not a PDF of this file, it HAD to have been put into text somewhere. This is just plain silly. I'm disappointed in Porsche and that is something I thought would never happen.

Have you hugged your Porsche today? (it won't catch or transmit anything but fun)
Thank you for the post. I have been looking for the full version as a PDF. So dumb in 2020 to not be available.....
my 2004 Z4 has PDF...

·
Registered
MY2018 Cayman S in Graphite Blue Metallic
13 Posts
I have the PDF manual for the MY2018 718. If anyone would like a copy, PM me with your email address.

Oh, and Porsche do have them available on the PIWIS TSI system. Trouble is they seem to keep it a secret from dealers.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi guys, I have requested the manual and the service booklet from my dealer for my 2019 boxster and they have provided to me in a nice leather folio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the PDF manual for the MY2018 718. If anyone would like a copy, PM me with your email address.

Oh, and Porsche do have them available on the PIWIS TSI system. Trouble is they seem to keep it a secret from dealers.....
Hi Richard,
I recently bought a 2017 718 Boxster and it has an owner's manual, but it's all in French (vehicle from Quebec), so a struggle for me to read. I would really appreciate it if you would send me a copy of your 2018 pdf.

Thanks,
Charles

[email protected]

·
Registered
MY2018 Cayman S in Graphite Blue Metallic
13 Posts
Hi Richard,
I recently bought a 2017 718 Boxster and it has an owner's manual, but it's all in French (vehicle from Quebec), so a struggle for me to read. I would really appreciate it if you would send me a copy of your 2018 pdf.

Thanks,
Charles

[email protected]
Email sent, Charles. I hope they help.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts