Porsche 718 Forum banner

Owner's Manual in PDF

53K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Barryng 
#1 ·
To while away the 5 months between now and delivery in April, I want to read the owner's manual for my new, as yet not built, 2019 718 Boxter. In spite of much searching, all I can find is the Porche on-line manual that includes mostly videos. I would much prefer it simple PDF format so I can load it on my iPad, silently read the detail, and avoid the sometimes situational difficulty in watching videos when others are around also watching video (e.g. TV).

Where can I find the 2019 718 Boxter manual in downloadable PDF format?

#7 ·
The Good To Know app has a section titled something like "All Content". It is not videos. It is html-like text with pictures that is pretty much identical to the hard-copy manual, at least for my 2018.

#8 ·
Recently I wrote Porsche proclaiming my dissatisfaction with them concerning the 2017-2019 Cayman Owners Manual not being available in PDF form. Here is their reply:
_

"Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America in regard to your Cayman and the Owner's Manual.

We appreciate your feedback on the iManuals website, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please know, while we do not have PDF versions available, you can now access the owners manual from the Porsche Good to Know app. It is available for free in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

If you have any additional questions, we welcome you to contact us by email or by calling 1-800-PORSCHE. We are available Monday through Friday, 8AM to 9PM EST.
____
I DO NOT believe there is not a PDF of this file, it HAD to have been put into text somewhere. This is just plain silly. I'm disappointed in Porsche and that is something I thought would never happen.

Have you hugged your Porsche today? (it won't catch or transmit anything but fun)

#9 ·
Unless you specifically want the PDF for some purpose other than to simply read it, eg, to print a second copy, give the app a try. As others have mentioned above, the "Functions in Detail" section is a faithful reproduction of the Owner's Manual that comes with the car. The benefits are it fits on a phone, and is quite a bit simpler to navigate.

#11 · (Edited)
As others have mentioned above, the "Functions in Detail" section is a faithful reproduction of the Owner's Manual that comes with the car. The benefits are it fits on a phone, and is quite a bit simpler to navigate.
If more people used its feedback panel at the bottom asking for a search button then maybe a resulting searchable whole would be much more useful.

PostEdit: my bad, didn't back out far enough to see the search box at the very top.

#13 ·
Yes, I tend to look around myself and THEN try a search. I was looking for the usual search button in the top status bar at the current reading location. Didn't immediately think of leaving what I was reading and backing out all the way to the start. Now I know... but I'll still keep sending in feedback reports asking for an actual per page search button AOT the generic scattergun search box facility at the front. Horses for courses so to speak. FWIW I'd discounted the front page stuff as just more videos - just saying;-)

#19 · (Edited)
I went to look for the online manual the other day and discovered it was taken down. This must have happened fairly recently. I have used it many times before to quickly search for answers on the car's operation. I haven't tried the app yet, but really would prefer to read it on a large monitor instead of a small phone screen. Why Porsche would do this is a mystery to me. Perhaps they are trying to somehow monetize the manual by obtaining user or marketing data. Whatever the reason, it's defintely a step backwards in ease of use for the owner.

#21 ·
I started a separate thread on this right after it was removed from the Porsche website. Regardless as to whether it's available as a PDF or not, I concur with alf_17, the previously available online manual was fantastic, loaded with links to everything you wanted and related sections, etc. This next comment is just a personal preference, but I HATE trying to read something important to me on a cell phone, I'd much rather use my desktop PC or my convertible laptop/tablet. I just don't understand Porsche taking this away from us. They did this once before, but it came back quickly ...... not this time however :(

#28 ·
This is a total bummer. As others have commented, reading a manual in detail on a phone is a looser (assuming it contains all the same details). When I wanted to understand the minute details of the system there's no way using the phone could meet the need. In fact the printed manual is a PITA as well when trying to flip pages that were so capably handled by the links in the online version. This is ridiculous that Porsche has done this. It takes some temerity to suggest that a movie clip is a sufficient substitute for what was already being used successfully by many. And surely it couldn't have required any substantial maintenance. Just simply a stupid move!!!!!