Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm having a real "first world" problem. The lease on my BMW M4 is up in 6 months and I'm starting to do my research on my next car. My husband has the 718 Cayman in Miami Blue and I love it. There is nothing like it out there. I try and drive it whenever I can. The steering is sublime and it's so much fun to drive. I wouldn't get a Cayman, but I'm thinking of getting the Boxster. Some say that it's ridiculous and I should choose a different sports car. The other car I am considering is the Jaguar F-Type, which is now available with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. I think it's a very good looking car and it drives well, but it's just not the same as the Porsche, something is missing.

So what do you guys and gals think? Is it ridiculous for a couple/family to have a Boxster and Cayman? Should I choose another manufacturer and go for the Jaguar F-Type?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get what you want. I can tell you that you can’t go wrong with either or both. First Porsche I’ve ever had and it’s a blast to drive. Top down when suns up. Traded a BMW 650 Gran Coupe for a 718 Boxster S, never looking back (well when I’m passing cars I do)

Rippey

Reactions: TheLip

·
892 Posts
So, I'm having a real "first world" problem. The lease on my BMW M4 is up in 6 months and I'm starting to do my research on my next car. My husband has the 718 Cayman in Miami Blue and I love it. There is nothing like it out there. I try and drive it whenever I can. The steering is sublime and it's so much fun to drive. I wouldn't get a Cayman, but I'm thinking of getting the Boxster. Some say that it's ridiculous and I should choose a different sports car. The other car I am considering is the Jaguar F-Type, which is now available with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. I think it's a very good looking car and it drives well, but it's just not the same as the Porsche, something is missing.

So what do you guys and gals think? Is it ridiculous for a couple/family to have a Boxster and Cayman? Should I choose another manufacturer and go for the Jaguar F-Type?
I fail to see why that would be viewed as ridiculous. They are still different cars & whilst the Jaguar F-Type is still a lovely vehicle & looks great (in my opinion) I think you might well regret the decision if a sports car is what you're truly after. You say it drives well & it certainly isn't awful, however it doesn't handle like a 718. I previously owned a 981 series Boxster & actually looked at & drove an F-Type myself before deciding on a 982/718. The reason I ruled the F-Type out is that I found the handling rather disappointing & not particularly sports car like. If you're after more of a cruiser then it's perfectly satisfactory, but when the roads start to get really twisty it struggles a bit. As for keeping up with a driver in a 718 with exactly the same skill levels as yourself you can simply forget it. As I hope I made clear right from the start I don't dislike the F-Type, but having driven one I don't really view it as a serious sports car either. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Cayman S in March and have been driving it for the last 2 months. My wife has driven it a couple of times and loves it, and is now thinking about getting a Boxter S. I say, get whatever puts the biggest smile on your face, because that will make both of you happy:D:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sold my 987 to get the 718 and have occasionally regretted it. The 718 is SO capable that I sometimes wonder if I actually had more fun in the 987 on the back roads in the Ozark mountains. On every other occasion, the 718 is the hands down winner.

As for your question, when I think about an additional sporty car, I am inclined to think I want a manual transmission 8 cylinder monster that sounds awesome blasting up interstate exits, tunnels and other straight lines. Or an antique sports car, just because I feel like it. I am completely covered when it comes to sublime handling and creature comforts.

·
892 Posts
The thing is with the original question, if "EyeMD1" is seriously intent on buying an actual out & out sports car then there isn't really much competition to a 718 variant at anything like the price. You've got to spend a great deal more to be able to even remotely compete in terms of the driving experience on offer & even then you'll struggle. A 718 is also a reasonably practical vehicle for an out & out sports car as well, not by SUV standards, but it certainly involves far fewer compromises than with most of the somewhat loosely termed competition. It's very comfortable on a long run & also has sufficient space to swallow quite a considerable amount of luggage. Contrast that luggage capacity with a BMW Z4 for instance where the available storage is pitifully small with the roof raised & where when it's down there's barely enough space for your packed lunch. The F-Type mentioned is a very nice car, not as much storage, the interior isn't perhaps of the quality it really should be (some of the plastics are rather poor in particular), but other than that there's little to criticise about the overall appearance. It certainly looks like a sports car, but having driven one as I said above I personally now see it as more of a cruiser. It's barely closer to the driving experience of a 718 than a plastic butter knife is close to a surgeons scalpel & I very much suspect that's why the lady deems there to be something missing. Whether having two out & out sports cars is entirely the wisest decision is another matter entirely, but if you're going to do it you might just as well buy a proper one & get yourself a 718 Boxster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the answer is, get yourself a Boxster S, so they are even more dissimilar :D.

But, I totally get it. Our Boxster is my spouse's dd. I drive an M240 convertible. I'm very happy with my car, but could totally see having my own Boxster. We don't like to share cars--plus I would feel horribly guilty if I were the one to scuff anything on the Porsche.

BTW, we do have an X5 as well for family trips etc. But my spouse manages quite a few Costco runs in the Boxster. LOL.

·
892 Posts
I think the answer is, get yourself a Boxster S, so they are even more dissimilar :D.

But, I totally get it. Our Boxster is my spouse's dd. I drive an M240 convertible. I'm very happy with my car, but could totally see having my own Boxster. We don't like to share cars--plus I would feel horribly guilty if I were the one to scuff anything on the Porsche.

BTW, we do have an X5 as well for family trips etc. But my spouse manages quite a few Costco runs in the Boxster. LOL.
Ah but whilst I suggested that having two sports cars might not entirely be the wisest choice, I didn't say it wouldn't be one I'd make either. Sometimes the heart rules the head & sensible goes right out of the window. My wife & I were in a similar situation a few years back, when I had a 987 Cayman & she was driving an Audi TT rag top (don't blame me for the TT, I hated it). That experience didn't put me off us having two sports cars though (Audi's description of a TT not mine) except that I think we got things the wrong way around & the Porsche should have been the soft top. If my wife decided she'd like a Cayman S or GTS to replace her BMW 2 series I'd have no qualms with that, despite the fact I already own a Boxster S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the advice! Getting a second sports car is not an issue since we have a Mazda CX-5 that we use when we have a lot of passengers, luggage or need to go to Costco. I live in Miami where the roads are straight and flat. No fun curvy highways or roads here, so the fact that the Jaguar F-Type doesn't respond as well on windy roads isn't really an issue.

I'm just going to test drive the F-Type a few more times and if it doesn't excite me or put on a smile on my face the way the Porsche does, I'll go with the Boxster. My husband's is Miami Blue with the standard black interior with sport seats. If I choose the Boxster I'm thinking of graphite blue exterior with the chalk/graphite blue interior with Sport-Tex seats. This way it will look quite different.

·
892 Posts
Thank you all for the advice! Getting a second sports car is not an issue since we have a Mazda CX-5 that we use when we have a lot of passengers, luggage or need to go to Costco. I live in Miami where the roads are straight and flat. No fun curvy highways or roads here, so the fact that the Jaguar F-Type doesn't respond as well on windy roads isn't really an issue.

I'm just going to test drive the F-Type a few more times and if it doesn't excite me or put on a smile on my face the way the Porsche does, I'll go with the Boxster. My husband's is Miami Blue with the standard black interior with sport seats. If I choose the Boxster I'm thinking of graphite blue exterior with the chalk/graphite blue interior with Sport-Tex seats. This way it will look quite different.
If you do go down the Boxster route then that sounds like a very nice combo. Don't forget that even on a straight road more agility in a vehicle can still be very beneficial, especially if you're at high speed & someone pulls across you. Whichever way you decide though good luck to you! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.