Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering getting my black plastic side vents painted. I went to a body shop who strongly advised against painting that plastic as it was a textured surface. They advised that it could peel over time.

Their advice was to check with Porsche if there was a primed version available. Since then I have scoured the internet and cannot fine one. I can find the GT4 scoops ( that look lovely). I've read though the post here on GT4 side scoops.

Has anyone sourced primed vents or GT4 scoops from the UK. I can find a few in the USA but would prefer to order from the UK. Or has anyone successfully painted the stock side vents and they have lasted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Base Cayman 6MT
7 Posts
You can get the paintable GT4 or paintable regular Cayman vents at Suncoastparts.com They have good prices and great service, I have ordered from them a few times. I swapped my vents out for the spyder vents (non-paintable) because I liked the look of them. Sorry, not sure who we be a supplier in the UK.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bumper Plugs sells factory OEM quality painted side vents in your color if you cannot find a suitable product in the UK. I purchased a pair painted in Sapphire Blue Metallic for our BS and they were perfect in every way. Paint color was spot on, literally a perfect match. We plan to do the same when our GTS arrives, provided we don't opt for painted GT4 side scoops instead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can attest to Bumper Plugs' work. I've done the side vents in black on my last 3 cars. Looks incredible. If you go that route and have a GTS4.0, be sure to contact the company because the side vents are different than those on the 718 (1 horizontal vs 2 and it makes a difference in airflow and air intake because the GTS4.0 has 2 intakes on each side with the single horizontal lined up between them. The 4 cylinder versions have a single air intake on each side and the 2 horrizontal pieces are lined up at the top and bottom of the intake. They may had added a drop-down selection to their site for the new GTS4.0 models but I was their 1st customer with one so they didn't know and sent me a pair of the vents for a 4c engine (but we got it worked out and they sent the right vents once they went to the parts catalog and saw the different vent part).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can attest to Bumper Plugs' work. I've done the side vents in black on my last 3 cars. Looks incredible. If you go that route and have a GTS4.0, be sure to contact the company because the side vents are different than those on the 718 (1 horizontal vs 2 and it makes a difference in airflow and air intake because the GTS4.0 has 2 intakes on each side with the single horizontal lined up between them. The 4 cylinder versions have a single air intake on each side and the 2 horrizontal pieces are lined up at the top and bottom of the intake. They may had added a drop-down selection to their site for the new GTS4.0 models but I was their 1st customer with one so they didn't know and sent me a pair of the vents for a 4c engine (but we got it worked out and they sent the right vents once they went to the parts catalog and saw the different vent part).
You just did your vents in gloss black? Do you have any pics? I bet it looks great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gloss Black on Gentian Blue - I haven't gotten around to doing pictures yet but it does look spectacular. I also had a gloss black vinyl install over the exposed black plastic in the grill (including the lower lip) and it looks like it was painted. I did the gloss black window trim on the build so now I just need a solution for the rear defuser - I hate exposed black plastic on an expensive car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
All that gloss black sounds great. Please post up once you get around to taking some pics. I agree, not a fan of the black plastic especially the side intakes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can get the paintable GT4 or paintable regular Cayman vents at Suncoastparts.com They have good prices and great service, I have ordered from them a few times. I swapped my vents out for the spyder vents (non-paintable) because I liked the look of them. Sorry, not sure who we be a supplier in the UK.

Does the GT4 scoop needs a different air vent, or does it work with the standard 718 air vent?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts