Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the most recent issue or the PCA Panorama magazine where they do something of a historical review of Porsche styling over the years. One thing that struck me was how many of the classic Porsche style elements are captured in our 718s. One picture had me trying to do a direct comparison. I have a 2019 base Cayman and there was a picture of the Porsche 550 with its accessory hard top on it. I had to pull up a picture of my car on my phone and hold it next to the picture in the magazine and though there were many differences, there were an amazing number of similarities!

I love so much about my Cayman, its beauty, its raw sound and performance, its blunt force experience, its noises; but it is all enhanced seeing its connection to Porsche design heritage.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's interesting that you mention it because I've had the same thought. While I'm sure adding the 718 moniker to the 2016+ Boxsters was primarily a marketing effort, I can't help but notice quite a few simiilarities between it and the original 550 and 718 in the styling. I think it's because the Boxster and Cayman have both taken on a flatter shape over the years and to me that looks a lot like the original race cars.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Actually, I see the genes of the 904 in my Cayman, I have written about it before....

They'd be better off to name it the 904, since it came with a number of engines/cylinders and avoid the 4 cylinder sound issue...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts