Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 - 718 Cayman S
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I could use some advice battling the constant paranoia. Every little noise I hear drives my anxiety through the roof. I'm constantly worried that I have another lemon engine.

My process -

When I start my 2022 S I put it in sport and wait for the idle to drop to 1000 RPMs. I keep it below 3000 RPMs until it's fully warmed up (around 200 Fahrenheit) before going above 4000.

I was very careful with the new engine. Never went above 3000 RPMs for the first 1000 miles.

Am I doing anything wrong?

I would love to hear any other suggestions in prolonging the life of my Cayman.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I understand this, and I have been there with bore scoring. The harsh truth is you either have to get over it so you can enjoy the car, or deal with the fact it will always worry you which probably means moving on to a different car.

I'm an eternal optimist, so I got past it fairly quickly. However, it isn't worth keeping the car if you can't enjoy driving it because you are always worried something will break.

·
Registered
185 Posts
FWIW, when I picked up my 2001 twin-turbo Audi S4, I was just learning how its "tiptronic" worked, and drove home for like 10 minutes in 3rd gear, high revs. Car was at 125,000 miles before I turned it in, no engine issues ever.

Reactions: DerpinDaisy

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
One of the issues of Christopherus a few years ago had a story on how Porsche tested the current 911 engine when it was under development. In Norway they would take it outside until it was something really cold, like -10F, then take it indoors to a dynamometer and immediately rev up to full power at max rpm. Then after it had warmed they repeated. In other words, real abuse. The point is, Porsche knows how to design engines. You don't need to baby it.

·
Registered
2022 - 718 Cayman S
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I just need to stop worrying and enjoy the car.

Worst case is the car will tell me there's an issue and I can take it in.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
504 Posts
Hey everyone,

I could use some advice battling the constant paranoia. Every little noise I hear drives my anxiety through the roof. I'm constantly worried that I have another lemon engine.

My process -

When I start my 2022 S I put it in sport and wait for the idle to drop to 1000 RPMs. I keep it below 3000 RPMs until it's fully warmed up (around 200 Fahrenheit) before going above 4000.

I was very careful with the new engine. Never went above 3000 RPMs for the first 1000 miles.

Thanks everyone.
Another lemon engine?? Did you have the engine replaced? Or was this a previous Porsche experience?

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,960 Posts
My process -
Summertime may work for you here, but it takes quite a while and enthusiastic driving to get mine over 194F, particularly in Sport which keeps the engine cooler. You may think about driving in Normal until it gets up to temperature faster than Sport, then change to Sport to keep it cooler.

The owner's manual says to stay below 4000 RPMs for the first 2000 miles, I believe. It is a tad conservative, and a pain to do, but if you want to be careful and not worry about it, you should do that.

One thing I've learned for driving on the track would be the perfect thing for easing a new engine and everything else into a carefree existence. Avoid upsetting the car. That means smooth starts and stops, being situationally aware of what's happening around you so you can do what needs to be done smoothly when you need to do it. And don't be so afraid of doing something wrong that you do everything wrong. Relax and enjoy.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Just because you hear voices, doesn't mean they're not after you.

Seriously, stick to the owner's manual stated run-in regimen and odds are your engine will live well and prosper for many, many years to come.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
525 Posts
The problem is that Porche has had many quality issues across multiple lines. Heck, my 964 almost sank the company after huge development costs and tiny sales when multiple problems arose!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone,

My process -

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dead simple--ignore the plethora of experts, don't try and justify your eagerness by assuming the manual is being over careful and simply follow the advice in the manual written by the people who actually design and build the car. If you then have a problem, your conscience is clear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts