Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone switched to Olins and seen any significant benefits in lap times ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in the process of installing the Ohlin Road and Track setup for my 718 Cayman S. For those that are not familiar with the company... when it comes to Motorsports dampers, Ohlin is one of the most respected companies in the world .

One of the benefits with these types of shocks, is they use both a bleed for slow speed compression and rebound, and the Ohlin Road and Track appear to have two shim stacks for both Compression and Rebound that affect different shaft speeds related to say hitting a sharp bump, or impacting steering response. The adjustable bleed valve primarily impacts slow shock speeds which will control the cars balance front to rear(understeer/oversteer). There is some trick stuff going on in these shocks.

With the double adjustable Penske's I had on my Z06 Corvette, the difference in comfort on the street was night and day. The car felt firmly planted but the high frequency harshness was all but gone. It was much more comfortable than the stock shocks. Good shocks will make stiffer springs seem softer when compared to OEM style shocks during normal driving. I will report back if the Ohlin setup is similar.

Another benefit is that you can really change how the car reacts to inputs on the track. The Road and Track setup adjusts bleed(slow speed shock damping) in the compression and rebound with one adjustment. You can really tune the corner entry and exit. This is not something you can do with the Factory PASM. IF you know what you are doing(and very few do) you can do more fine tuning with double and triple adjustable shocks, but you can also screw things up if you do not understand sports car chassis dynamics and how to tune a car. A good triple adjustable shock can cost close to as much as the whole set of Road and Track shocks. I chose the Road and Track as it adjusts both compression and rebound making it much easier for quick changes without chasing my tail.

There are several shock companies that sell adjustable shocks. They are not close to the same level as the above names. Most dont understand what range of the shock shaft speed is important to control, and how it impacts what the car does. The shock dyno graphs of poor quality adjustable shocks really tell the story compared to a high end shock.

In addition, significant effort goes into arriving at the proper shock damping curves in both compression and rebound along with spring / wheel rates, ride height, rake etc. This is just as important as the hardware. Ohlin has done this homework for us and I assume they did a good job based on their reputation.

Clearly the actual hardware in the factory shocks is decent, but I am willing to bet it does not hold a candle to high end shocks like Ohlin, Penske, JRZ etc.

edit(added some more details about the mechanics of Ohlin RT)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put Ohlins on my car over the winter and the difference has been remarkable. My car feels much more planted on the track. That plus 200 treadwear tires and I had more grip on the track and felt comfortable going faster. I've seen my lap times increase by 10 seconds per lap or more. I will be the first to admit that I was mid-pack for my run groups last year (high novice - intermediate) and pace was the thing that I was working on the most and one of my big goals for this year. With my new set up, pace really isn't an issue and I've found myself faster that the same folks I ran with last year at similar events. A GT350 try to outrun me (he didn't try very hard) on the front straight of Pacific Raceways here in the PNW and failed, he finally conceded and let me by in the next passing zone.

Watching this video is what pushed me over the edge.

Oh - and I did not have PASM on my base 718 so it was an easy switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
to me, nothing better than öhlins ..... best choice
here in Italy they are the best, on bike and cars.... on bike pretty common, on car if you have enough budget, but the difference from stock is amazing

·
Registered
492 Posts
Maybe I've been riding too many Ducati's, but $3100 for my BS doesn't seem that bad at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe I've been riding too many Ducati's,
Exactley Dude.... Öhlins are stock in Ducati S Model ...

but $3100 for my BS doesn't seem that bad at all
I would say I agree with you.... after that, it depends on how you use the car .... but if your intention is to change the suspension... no doubt, go for Öhlins...

Greetings from 🇮🇹

PS: by the way your nick name sounds Italian .... duegatti = two cats

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I'd say I'm a suspension snob, as I don't think I have a single motorcycle that hasn't had its suspension upgraded with Ohlins components when available, but I'm really digging the SPASM in my CGTS with the DSC controller. What I'd really like to see is a comparison between a DSC-equipped car and one with Ohlins, or even better, the DSC + Tractive. As awesome as Ohlins are, I'm a little suspicious if they could match a dynamically-adjustable suspension…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts