Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 87 years old and my first Porsche was a 1978 911 Sc. Now my wife and I have a have a 2017 Macan and a 2018 base Cayman. I've tried to imbue my children, their spouses and the grandchildren with a love of Porsches. I am sure I succeeded this weekend with my 16 year old granddaughter. I let her drive the Cayman for the first time with me as co-pilot into the hills around Woodside, California. She ended up driving from Woodside Road up through the extremely curvy La Honda Road to Alice's Restaurant. That's not an easy drive for anybody especially for a first timer on the road. She did great an was absolutley ectstactic after the drive. I think I've passed the torch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice. I got my daughter hooked as she drives a Boxster. Working on my 10 and 11 year old nephews. Tooked them to the Petersen museum last weekend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
High horsepower and teens don’t mix,” because teens do not have the self-control to not test the limits of fast sports cars. I Consider refraining from putting my 17-year-old son in my Porsche or other type of fast sports car. He does not have the experience at a young age nor maturity to be able to drive responsible. I know because my dad allow me to drive his Corvette when I was my Son’s age and believe me I had a very heavy lead foot. Just keep the Porsche for your own driving needs until they are about 25. After a few years of driving they will have more experience under their belt.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
I don't know that this is a blanket theory @Porsche Wolfe. True for me, btw, but I had a few friends in high school who would have been fine. For example, the first guy I knew with his own car (not mommy's or daddy's) was a guy who had two paper delivery routes. His father built him a tricycle with a big basket between the wheels to pick up all his papers and to do his routes. He bought a 1963 Chevy Bel Air, shifter on the steering wheel. He babied it.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
694 Posts
High horsepower and teens don’t mix,” because teens do not have the self-control to not test the limits of fast sports cars. I Consider refraining from putting my 17-year-old son in my Porsche or other type of fast sports car. He does not have the experience at a young age nor maturity to be able to drive responsible. I know because my dad allow me to drive his Corvette when I was my Son’s age and believe me I had a very heavy lead foot. Just keep the Porsche for your own driving needs until they are about 25. After a few years of driving they will have more experience under their belt.
Started driving (on the roads) at the age of ten. Mostly farm vehicles. We grew up driving in all conditions. Began buying 30's Chevys and Fords (called junkers then) to race on an oval track setup by our parents at a ripe 13 years. Cost? About $25.00 each. lol. We learned how to drift, pass, crash, brake, accelerate, shift and repair our demolition vehicles. Age is a non-issue. It's training and experience that make the driver. Look at Belle Wheeler.... eight years old... World's youngest drag racer..... You gotta love it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dad had me sitting on his lap at 4 and 5 years old steering the car on country roads while he worked the pedals. He wouldn't stop the car until we were 3 rows deep into a corn field. Then once I could see over the steering wheel he had me drive on those country roads. I won't claim to be a great driver, but when it came time for driver's ed, I had some feel for how to control a car.

I did not do this with my daughters. I realized just how big of a mistake that was when they reached 15 and it was time for driving lessons. They had absolutely zero feel for driving a car. It took them an hour of driving around a parking lot just to get some muscle memory built up before I could even consider taking them out on the roads.

My grandkids will spend time behind the wheel before they become of age.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Same here and I passed that experience on to my daughter. However, as stated above, real-world driving experience is key I think. My daughter got our hand-me-down car at 16 and totaled it at 17 because of a lack in good judgement. At 24 she drove the Porsche with me as a passenger. She hit and killed a dog on that trip - not her fault for lack of experience. I don't think that memory of driving a Porsche will leave her and I doubt she'd ever get one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fast cars require skills, experience and maturity that young drivers simply don’t have. No one is made of stone. If you put 350 horsepower at a teenager’s fingertips there’s a chance he or she will make a bad choice…that’s why insurance rates are very expensive for teenagers who drive a fast car. A safe mid-size car with a small motor – a Toyota Prius or Honda Civic is just about perfect for 17 year old– is the best option. They’re safe, reliable, and they’ll never encourage your teen to take risks in the way that a fast car encourages this behavior. While I admire the desire to treat a child fairly as possible, no parent should ever agree to a deal that risks their child’s life. If you made this deal, you made a mistake – don’t put your child in a position where they have to pay for your error in judgment. My 17 year old son will not drive a fast car period.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I'm 87 years old and my first Porsche was a 1978 911 Sc. Now my wife and I have a have a 2017 Macan and a 2018 base Cayman. I've tried to imbue my children, their spouses and the grandchildren with a love of Porsches. I am sure I succeeded this weekend with my 16 year old granddaughter. I let her drive the Cayman for the first time with me as co-pilot into the hills around Woodside, California. She ended up driving from Woodside Road up through the extremely curvy La Honda Road to Alice's Restaurant. That's not an easy drive for anybody especially for a first timer on the road. She did great an was absolutley ectstactic after the drive. I think I've passed the torch.
I'm not too far from you. (I'm in Menlo Park.) I just turned 75 yesterday. My Cayman T is due in December and my daughter-in-law thinks that my almost 16 year old grandson should use my Cayman to learn how how to drive a stick shift. Not going to happen. :oops: If she wants to buy him the old VW that I saw in Palo Alto then we can talk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Cayman T is due in December and my daughter-in-law thinks that my almost 16 year old grandson should use my Cayman to learn how how to drive a stick shift.
It’s amazing how low stress it is to volunteer someone else’s property.

I love teaching people how to drive manual, but I don’t have a good car to do it in. A 450 HP 78 Corvette and the Boxster GTS 4.0 coming. The best car is the one the student provides.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
It’s amazing how low stress it is to volunteer someone else’s property.

I love teaching people how to drive manual, but I don’t have a good car to do it in. A 450 HP 78 Corvette and the Boxster GTS 4.0 coming. The best car is the one the student provides.
I have a friend who has a beautiful old 356. My daughter-in-law thinks that it would be a good learner car. Heck, I don't even want to drive that car. You can't replace something like that.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Nice. I got my daughter hooked as she drives a Boxster. Working on my 10 and 11 year old nephews. Tooked them to the Petersen museum last weekend.
You can't start too early. I got my first Porsche (see avatar) when I was in my 20's.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Fast cars require skills, experience and maturity that young drivers simply don’t have. No one is made of stone. If you put 350 horsepower at a teenager’s fingertips there’s a chance he or she will make a bad choice…that’s why insurance rates are very expensive for teenagers who drive a fast car. A safe mid-size car with a small motor – a Toyota Prius or Honda Civic is just about perfect for 17 year old– is the best option. They’re safe, reliable, and they’ll never encourage your teen to take risks in the way that a fast car encourages this behavior. While I admire the desire to treat a child fairly as possible, no parent should ever agree to a deal that risks their child’s life. If you made this deal, you made a mistake – don’t put your child in a position where they have to pay for your error in judgment. My 17 year old son will not drive a fast car period.
Oh come on this guy was sitting in the passenger seat right there with her. You make it sound like the 718 is a deathtrap and the OP somehow did something irresponsible and put his granddaughter's life at risk. This was a fun and innocent drive under adult supervision. While the cayman is a fast car, 350hp is certainly not insane especially when combined with the very high level of grip and neutral handling of the 718. This isnt a hellcat or something we are talking about here.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Tell your granddaughter to be careful. They're REALLY locking down on any fun in that area. The people in La Honda are kinda ****, tbh.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Started driving (on the roads) at the age of ten. Mostly farm vehicles. We grew up driving in all conditions. Began buying 30's Chevys and Fords (called junkers then) to race on an oval track setup by our parents at a ripe 13 years. Cost? About $25.00 each. lol. We learned how to drift, pass, crash, brake, accelerate, shift and repair our demolition vehicles. Age is a non-issue. It's training and experience that make the driver. Look at Belle Wheeler.... eight years old... World's youngest drag racer..... You gotta love it!
well. youre a bird. bird's can't drive.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Oh come on this guy was sitting in the passenger seat right there with her. You make it sound like the 718 is a deathtrap and the OP somehow did something irresponsible and put his granddaughter's life at risk. This was a fun and innocent drive under adult supervision. While the cayman is a fast car, 350hp is certainly not insane especially when combined with the very high level of grip and neutral handling of the 718. This isnt a hellcat or something we are talking about here.
I should have made myself clearer. NOBODY drives my Porsches but me. I am not picking on my grandkids and I am sure that the Cayman is a perfectly safe car for my grandkids to drive . . . but it isn't going to happen. That's just the way that I am and I'm not going to change at 75. That said, when I am too infirm to drive I plan to give my Cayman to one of my grandkids.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I should have made myself clearer. NOBODY drives my Porsches but me. I am not picking on my grandkids and I am sure that the Cayman is a perfectly safe car for my grandkids to drive . . . but it isn't going to happen. That's just the way that I am and I'm not going to change at 75. That said, when I am too infirm to drive I plan to give my Cayman to one of my grandkids.
.... you should check the odometer.... i sneak in on thursday nights and take it for a spin. feel guilty now. sry :(

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
37 Posts
I taught both of my kids to drive in a hotted up 2003 MINI Cooper S 6spd. It was their first car (handed from one to the other) and was actually my old HPDE track toy, so they learned to pay attention to crap in the road (because it physically hurt if you hit a speed bump or pothole), and I [believe I] taught them to drive within the limits respectably. I also took every snow opportunity to teach skids and steering in poor traction. While I agree that a hot car and teenagers can quickly turn into "hey, watch this", I hope I taught them to at least have a bit of self control. Having said that, I never let them drive my M4 without me, and haven't decided if I'll let them drive the BGTS yet, but likely will let them take it out with me once or twice - I too would like to pass along the love of Porsche and they need something good to think about as they sit in their college classes listening to economic theory or who the Huns were :)

Funny thing was I found out about a year ago my daughter taught several of her friends to drive a stick in that MINI....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love your comment. Unfortunately, most of our children and grandchildren will be driving EVs with all kinds of safety features, is my guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts