Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when, in the whole car buying process, payment was generally required, and roughly how much?

I have a $500 deposit down with a dealer, but when is the next payment usually due? Is it upon getting an allocation or submitting the order? How much is it - 50%, 10%, 25%?

This is my first new Porsche in the USA. Thanks.

· Registered
4,315 Posts
I was wondering when, in the whole car buying process, payment was generally required, and roughly how much?

I have a $500 deposit down with a dealer, but when is the next payment usually due? Is it upon getting an allocation or submitting the order? How much is it - 50%, 10%, 25%?

Depends on the dealer. I wasn't required to make any deposit until I got an allocation. I know others who never had to put up any money until the car arrived and was ready to take home.

· Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 6MT
59 Posts
Not sure when (allocation or order) but i paid $7500 - That is from a dealership in the Dallas area - That was the last pre-payment until picking up the car and paying the difference - Hope that helps

· Registered
394 Posts
I put $1000 down. The sales associate said I'd need to put an additional $1500 with the allocation.

I suspect if your build is unusual they may ask for more. If I were a dealer I'd ask for 10 percent at allocation time.

· Registered
787 Posts
I was asked for $5000 USD down, then the remainder when I picked up the car. I really depends on the dealer. Another dealer 20 miles away only asked for a $2500 deposit. I think a $500 is pretty low these days....congrats on that and getting a GTS too! I really would contact your salesman by email so you have it all in writing. I actually made a spreadsheet with options, taxes, etc and attached it so when he responded, it was all there. best wishes.

· Registered
2022 718 Boxster 2.0
424 Posts
First porsche, $500 down to get on waiting list. Then $5000 once I got allocation.
Second one, a GTS, $5000 to get on wait list, then another $5000 once allocation came in a couple months later.
Both cars MSRP.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank-you everyone for your replies.
It seems to vary widely across all the dealers. Mine is a fairly typical build - nothing out of the ordinary - no PTS or ED etc. I guess the need for large deposits isn't there, as should the buyer back out the dealer has a 100% chance of moving it off the lot.

· Registered
2023 718 Cayman S Manual - Guards Red
13 Posts
Dealer dependent I would say, I did not have to put a deposit to be the on the list (as they wouldn’t take it, at the height of supply chain issues and no point in taking money). But once allocation was available, I had to put down $5,000 and I guess that should be it until the car sale.
Others might have different experiences.

· Registered
Waiting on Cayman S. March delivery.
673 Posts
My experience was $500 down for the waiting list. Then $2500 more once I got the allocation to submit the order with the factory. Seemed reasonable to me.

· Registered
880 Posts
I put no money down at all during the requesting, allocating, or building process. It wasn't until I picked it up that I brought them a check. It's a dealer thing, not a Porsche thing.
Same. Only when the car was there (and I saw it as I unwrapped it completely - kinder surprise :) ) they sent me the bill for the full price (no ADM of course) and that`s it.
After payment, there was the handover.

· Registered
177 Posts
It might also depend on the relationship you have with your dealer. I've now ordered 3 cars through my dealer I'm not entirely sure they'd even ask me for a deposit if I said I wanted another one.

For reference, they only ever asked for $1k when the initial demand order was submitted. Nothing else after that until delivery.

· Registered
4,315 Posts
I did that when I bought my wife's Macan. Paid for 1/3 of the vehicle with the credit card and took the 2% cash back.
Wanted to do the similar (pay 1/2 with credit card). However, they knew they would lose too much in interchange, so they forced my hand to a money transfer. They weren't charging ADM, which I understood and capitulated.

Reactions: RobertM

· Registered
2021 Boxster
2,734 Posts

Gave order number (config) to General Sales Manager via phone call. No deposit requested. No payments required during the four month wait. Bumblebee was delivered to my doorstep by the General Manager and a Porsche Tech (to setup all the goodies, etc.). Paid for the Bee in full with a personal cheque. Easy peasy.

So, I think the answer would be that it depends totally on your dealer. Can't wait for your photos and impressions. Welcome to our World of Madness! It's a wonderful place to be.

· Registered
880 Posts
It might also depend on the relationship you have with your dealer. I've now ordered 3 cars through my dealer I'm not entirely sure they'd even ask me for a deposit if I said I wanted another one.

For reference, they only ever asked for $1k when the initial demand order was submitted. Nothing else after that until delivery.
Then I was maybe lucky.
Went into the dealership out of sudden (had unexpected free time) with my beater Ford Focus in jeans and hoodie (nothing fancy at all), got the key of the GTS4.0 test car for the day (they almost pushed me to take it) and I ordered the car when I took it back end of the day as they were super nice. No deposit, no nothing. Even stayed after closing time for about 1,5 hours longer. Amazing experience.

On the other hand, in VW dealership, they didn`t wanted to show me the car I was interested on. Even when I said I want to order, they told me to come back later with a booked appointment o_O and the dealership was empty... I didn`t buy anything from them of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts