Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What opinions are there on our forum regarding paying over MSRP for a Porsche? I was adamant against paying over MSRP but I feel myself reconsidering that stance........is paying 25K over MSRP excessive. Thoughts?

·
Registered
211 Posts
1) My thinking would be that if I were going to keep the car for a reasonably long time (for me, 5 years), I'd just think of it as paying an extra $10ish/day for the thrill ride of a lifetime.

2) Here's another way to think about it - since GT3's are so rare, maybe you'll make some of that $25K back in the future when you get rid of it, when compared to the depreciation on a more pedestrian 911 (disclaimer - I have no idea of pricing in the used GT3 market).

3) Whenever I'm going to do something stupid financially (i.e., buying a Porsche), I ask myself whether it will affect my long term financial health. I'd conclude that if I have the money, the burning desire for a GT3, and it won't harm me or my family financially - I'd go for it.

4) I asked my wife the question you posed. Her answer: "Are you f'ing nuts".

BTW, asking Porsche guys if you should blow extra bucks on a legendary Porsche, see point 3.
Also, BTW, "happy wife, happy life", see point 4

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) My thinking would be that if I were going to keep the car for a reasonably long time (for me, 5 years), I'd just think of it as paying an extra $10ish/day for the thrill ride of a lifetime.

2) Here's another way to think about it - since GT3's are so rare, maybe you'll make some of that $25K back in the future when you get rid of it, when compared to the depreciation on a more pedestrian 911 (disclaimer - I have no idea of pricing in the used GT3 market).

3) Whenever I'm going to do something stupid financially (i.e., buying a Porsche), I ask myself whether it will affect my long term financial health. I'd conclude that if I have the money, the burning desire for a GT3, and it won't harm me or my family financially - I'd go for it.

4) I asked my wife the question you posed. Her answer: "Are you f'ing nuts".

BTW, asking Porsche guys if you should blow extra bucks on a legendary Porsche, see point 3.
Also, BTW, "happy wife, happy life", see point 4
As to point 3 & 4.....the car purchase will not have any impact on my long term financial health and as to point 4 my wife wants me to buy it........so does that mean GT3 equals “Happy wife, happy life”.
The issue I still wrestle with is 25K is allot to charge over MSRP but then again you only live once. I guess I have to get over the feeling of being kinda ripped off..........
This conversation is relevant to the 718 community especially in light of the fact they maybe producing a 718 GT4 or GT4 RS both of which will more than likely sell over MSRP. After a conversation with my SA he stated if they produce a GT4 RS it will likely be in the 160K range.

·
Registered
211 Posts
...as to point 4 my wife wants me to buy it........so does that mean GT3 equals “Happy wife, happy life”.
The issue I still wrestle with is 25K is allot to charge over MSRP but then again you only live once. I guess I have to get over the feeling of being kinda ripped off..........
Given the financial impact is negligible, I agree - you only live once - go for it and don't look back. You already know this, but you have a great, understanding wife!

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you have shopped around and that is the best price you can get then it is an easy decision.

You either pay the price or you don't buy the car. Who cares what MSRP is?

Why would you compare the price to the MSRP when you should be comparing the car to the alternative cars you can buy?

( The ONLY reason you look at MSRP is because you think you can buy it cheaper. Normally you can, but if not, you are out of luck.)

EDIT: Here is the other question:

What do you think about dealers that charge over MSRP for new cars?

Well, I think they are weasels. It bothers me and I wouldn't buy a car from them. That's an easy one for me, too. However, I will concede there are counter arguments to this. e.g I just bought a car for about 10% off MSRP. Well, if the dealer has to discount cars because the MSRP wasn't reflective of the market then maybe he should be able to adjust prices up also. In some industries the MSRP has become completely meaningless and replaced by MAP. The MSRP is just a number, AFAIK.

I have heard that some dealers are contractually prohibited from charging more than MSRP by mfgs. Not sure that stops them.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EDIT: Here is the other question:

What do you think about dealers that charge over MSRP for new cars?

Well, I think they are weasels. It bothers me and I wouldn't buy a car from them. That's an easy one for me, too. However, I will concede there are counter arguments to this.
That gets to the heart/intent of the original post. In my mind, it is morally questionable for some Porsche dealerships to behave in this way. At what point do we bear some of the responsibility for the problem if we encourage/buy from said dealerships? Clearly, buying way over MSRP does not foster good feelings about the dealership or the Porsche Brand in the long run.......ultimately detracts/diminishes the Brand image......

·
892 Posts
What opinions are there on our forum regarding paying over MSRP for a Porsche? I was adamant against paying over MSRP but I feel myself reconsidering that stance........is paying 25K over MSRP excessive. Thoughts?
Well I've been a little shy on answering this as it isn't my money. However my opinion for what it's worth is that if 25k over the original manufacturers list price is the best price available, then to all intents & purposes that unfortunately is the new price. The manufacturers recommended price became an irrelevance the moment you could no longer enter a Porsche dealer & actually order one for that. It's morally wrong but it's also the reality. :|

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chilli...don’t know how I edited your post.....must have hit a “super moderator” button.....although not sure I did.....

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've been a little shy on answering this as it isn't my money. However my opinion for what it's worth is that if 25k over the original manufacturers list price is the best price available, then to all intents & purposes that unfortunately is the new price. The manufacturers recommended price became an irrelevance the moment you could no longer enter a Porsche dealer & actually order one for that. It's morally wrong but it's also the reality. :|
I will try this again......

Firstly, thanks for the input with any question/problems there are many ways to view it. Each one of us has a different perpective but maybe collectively by discussing it on these forums we can get closer to the “truth”.........or at least distill out what is irrelevant.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Apart from assuring that all costs and fees are covered by the price, the MSRP, at its most basic, is supposed to be a gauge of the point at which demand will meet supply. But in certain circumstances, such as the initial release of a highly anticipated item, or when you are dealing with ultra-luxury items, I sometimes think that the manufacturer actually encourages sales of the item well above MSRP as a statement to the buying public of just how exceptional the product is; that the consuming public values it even more than the manufacturer does. The halo effect can be significant.

But going back to the OP's question, if you want it and can afford it, then go for it. My only caveat is that you must post pictures.

Reactions: Porsche2018

·
Registered
344 Posts
The key letter in MSRP is the S. The monetary value of any product or service is determined by what the consumers are willing to pay - basic supply and demand. Porsche dealers can charge whatever they want for their vehicles if consumers are willing to pay it. Ask yourself this question, if the original MSRP was $25k higher than it is now, and the dealer was charging MSRP, would you buy it?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I lost the GT3 that was on the Porsche dealership lot to another buyer but they gave me a buildable slot and just sealed the deal today. It’s a September build slot, one of the last ones, with December delivery......

·
Registered
503 Posts
At $25K over MSRP, I can't even fathom why you would consider buying a car off the lot rather than configure one to your own specs.

I guess different strokes for different folks.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At $25K over MSRP, I can't even fathom why you would consider buying a car off the lot rather than configure one to your own specs.

I guess different strokes for different folks.
The dealership build was pretty cool but the one I built is, well, mine..........now the wait begins. Though, the best car is still the 718.......first love.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Without sounding to philosophical cars are fun but the most important dimension of our lives is our families. If we all have Porsches we are pretty fortuanate people, though all the stuff we own is the stuff of future garage sales and the junk heaps. We must keep our priorities straight...........though, nice community of crazy car people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would spend some time talking to other P dealers for 25K. I bought a Hellcat for 2K under sticker the first year. If I had believed how unlikely that was after the first dealer I would have paid 10K more.
With that said I just saw a RS4.0 that I know sold locally for 10K over sticker resell three years later for full MSRP. So I guess you could say the owner paid 10K for 3 years and 11K miles.

Not too bad a cost per mile in my opinion. Of course I have a "Car Problem" and it colors my opinion.

ssmv650

Reactions: Porsche2018

·
892 Posts
The dealership build was pretty cool but the one I built is, well, mine..........now the wait begins.
I've written on this subject before, but it's particularly relevant to your own situation & even with some repetition I feel its worth re-highlighting. In the U.K there isn't to my knowledge the practice of bumping up the price beyond the manufacturers recommended retail price. I don't think that's something that Porsche U.K would look on particularly kindly. Now whilst that might initially appear to be a good thing it doesn't really tend to work out that way in practice. What does have a tendency to happen is that the majority of GT's & specials tend to get sold to a select few & most customers don't even get the opportunity to get their hands on one. Not that is until a short time later, when they reappear for sale with very little mileage, but hugely inflated prices. It even happened with cars like the GT4, they were like gold dust, but six months down the line there were loads for sale. Loads that is, if you were prepared to fork out thousands over the original list price. In other words a large number were snapped up by speculators simply to turn a huge profit. Those used cars don't even always appear on the Porsche UK second hand listings, but they're there, back in the dealers & available for sale (I know of one dealer that had multiple GT4's at the same time & in the above time frame. Only one was shown on the network at any one time though & all were way over list). Quite frankly it stinks & you'd have to ask yourself why the dealer chose not to advertise them all on the Porsche U.K listings. Is it so that eyebrows don't get raised & awkward questions asked? I just don't know the answer to that, because if it's supposed to be a secret it's a very poorly kept one. So whilst the 25k U.S premium you're being charged seems wrong & lets be honest it is wrong, at least it meant you could go to the dealers & order the car. Here you're far less likely to be able to do that unless you're one of those select few & you'd had your name down for what would seem like an eternity (even often having to submit a letter of intent to purchase several months or more in advance of actually being able to order one). In the U.K therefore, the chances are that if you want something out of the norm, then you'd still most likely need to pay a premium to obtain it, but you'd also most likely be its second owner. Neither the way it's working in the U.S or in the U.K is ideal, in fact far from it. However given the choice between paying a premium for new & a premium for pre-owned, then being the first owner is infinitely preferable. Should Porsche perhaps make more GT's & Specials? Personally I'm sort of undecided on it. The demand is there, but the rarity is also partly what makes them so desirable. What do others think & what should Porsche do to address the prices dealers charge in the U.S & the problem of so many cars being snapped up by speculators in the U.K? :|

1 - 20 of 42 Posts