Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to question the need for $2640 worth of Navigation that they then charge me $$ to update the maps! I know this also gives Porsche Connect, but I will never sign on for that either. I see that it is a standard feature in the 718: Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. mobile phone preparation and audio interfaces and Porsche Car Connect.

I want the PCM and connectivity for the phone, USB etc, Jukebox and the like, I will add Android Auto via a module or the ROik add on and this will give me navigation...

So I wonder what else 'don't' I get if I opt-out of Navigation?

Thanks!

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Do make sure that your options give you the USB port in the center armrest. That's the one needed for Apple CarPlay.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't say what else (other than Nav) you might not get--but the Nav itself is only OK.
That's just it, it starts of as 'ok' but then after no updates, it gets worse, additionally with out real time traffic there is no dynamic re-routing which is what Google Maps can do from the connected phone.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best to add that I am looking at this from the Android perspective, if Porsche enabled Android Auto it would follow the same connectivity as Apple.

I have no Nav or Porsche assist but o do have apple play. I connect through the usb in the arm rest. I use Waze or google maps and both work great. Hope that helps.
Apple CarPlay adds the USB port in the center Console, removes the AUX port from the glove box, perfect for connecting the phone. I wonder if this includes enhanced reception for the phone? (see below)

Do make sure that your options give you the USB port in the center armrest. That's the one needed for Apple CarPlay.
This may start becoming a catch-22 situation, with NAV you get the USB port in the center console, otherwise it is a 12v power socket. So assuming no Apple phone and without NAV, to get a USB port in the center console one must opt for Smartphone compartment in center console for optimized reception and battery-saving operation.

However then this happens: Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment. I wanted this for the standalone Android Box. This would force me to use Bluetooth for the Audio from the ROiK Android Box, which I guess would be fine... Or if I get the Android Auto box it should use the USB as it connectivity just like an iPhone?

· Registered
177 Posts
Best to add that I am looking at this from the Android perspective, if Porsche enabled Android Auto it would follow the same connectivity as Apple.

Apple CarPlay adds the USB port in the center Console, removes the AUX port from the glove box, perfect for connecting the phone. I wonder if this includes enhanced reception for the phone? (see below)

This may start becoming a catch-22 situation, with NAV you get the USB port in the center console, otherwise it is a 12v power socket. So assuming no Apple phone and without NAV, to get a USB port in the center console one must opt for Smartphone compartment in center console for optimized reception and battery-saving operation.

However then this happens: Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment. I wanted this for the standalone Android Box. This would force me to use Bluetooth for the Audio from the ROiK Android Box, which I guess would be fine... Or if I get the Android Auto box it should use the USB as it connectivity just like an iPhone?
I do not believe that I have the augmented reception or power saving option.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
I don't get tbe bit about losing something in the glovebox. Granted my car does not have the aux audio input which was in an S model on the showroom floor. But it does have a usb plug there. You can't run Apply CarPlay from tje glovebox, if you do run it from the center console you lose bluetooth to your phone.

· Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,218 Posts
If have sport chrono but not navi you cant use the track options.
The best thing with that is that you can xsave the telemetry.
Yep, not as big a deal for me as you, Johan, but that would be cool. I do use CarPlay on a used iPhone in the "phone compartment" with booster. Mostly Google Maps and I get the hands free phone experience and voice commands for Siri. The only other missing thing is that without the Nav package, you do not get automatic time and date setting because there is no GPS in the car. However, while installing my short shift kit, I added a GPS to the PCM. It still doesn't do the auto time setting, but I'm still working on finding a way. I mean, that GPS cost me $12!!

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I wrote this in another thread:

I have NAV and Apple CarPlay. I use Google Maps or Waze. The only time I HAD to use NAV because of its onboard maps was in the Adirondacks when we lost signal and my Offline Google Maps stopped about 20 mi. south of our hotel... Normally I run with recent Offline Maps and don’t need NAV.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't get tbe bit about losing something in the glovebox. Granted my car does not have the aux audio input which was in an S model on the showroom floor. But it does have a usb plug there. You can't run Apply CarPlay from tje glovebox, if you do run it from the center console you lose bluetooth to your phone.
You answered your own question, do you have NAV?

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If have sport chrono but not navi you cant use the track options.
The best thing with that is that you can xsave the telemetry.
Sneaky little things like this are good to know!

Yep, not as big a deal for me as you, Johan, but that would be cool. I do use CarPlay on a used iPhone in the "phone compartment" with booster. Mostly Google Maps and I get the hands free phone experience and voice commands for Siri. The only other missing thing is that without the Nav package, you do not get automatic time and date setting because there is no GPS in the car. However, while installing my short shift kit, I added a GPS to the PCM. It still doesn't do the auto time setting, but I'm still working on finding a way. I mean, that GPS cost me $12!!
Time setting as well, not a world ender but again good to know. As for adding a GPS to the PCM, it probably has to be coded in, the PCM is software driven without the software or feature activation code enabled doubtful it will recognize the GPS module.

· Registered
717 Posts
I have the nav and it is great IMO. I actually use it more just to look at a map rather than actual navigation. It is really convenient to be able to quickly pull up a map and move it around to find what I am looking for. Having to connect a phone to get maps is annoying for me. I like having everything integrated into the PCM unit.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wrote this in another thread: I have NAV and Apple CarPlay. I use Google Maps or Waze. The only time I HAD to use NAV because of its onboard maps was in the Adirondacks when we lost signal and my Offline Google Maps stopped about 20 mi. south of our hotel... Normally I run with recent Offline Maps and don’t need NAV.
This is why I want to add the Smartphone compartment option, boost the signal to the phone.

· Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the nav and it is great IMO. I actually use it more just to look at a map rather than actual navigation. It is really convenient to be able to quickly pull up a map and move it around to find what I am looking for. Having to connect a phone to get maps is annoying for me. I like having everything integrated into the PCM unit.
No argument with using the screen on the PCM, and with Android Auto or standalone Android that how it works too. What I don't like about the NAV is the cost and then and added cost to keep the maps current, also no real time traffic update with a subscription! My phone always has an active data connection, Google Maps with traffic and auto-routing around accidents or Jams is always on!

· Registered
2,229 Posts
This is why I want to add the Smartphone compartment option, boost the signal to the phone.
Boosting the signal would not help in the Adirondacks.

I am not sure whether I have the Smartphone option, I do plug the phone in at the center console and it does have a data connection to the PCM.

· Registered
115 Posts
This was the one extra that I was very unsure about not speccing, coming from a BMW with a great idrive navigation integration, but something had to give. Since getting the Cayman I’ve been using the TomTom app via Apple carplay whenever I need nav, and to be honest I don’t feel like I’m missing anything at all... just as good as the BMW system and therefore probably at least as good as the Porsche Nav, so now I’m glad I didn’t invest the hefty price tag they charge for it...

· Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 6MT: Graphite Blue Metallic/Leather Graphite Blue/Chalk SportTex S+Seats
176 Posts
I had two MUST HAVE requirements for this car: 1) 6MT, 2) Apple CarPlay. The car I got ended up having Navi as well. I haven't used it once yet, I use CarPlay and use Waze or once in a blue moon Apple Maps, Google Maps also works great. The Navi is just there. The automatic trip info is cool, in that it shows me how much time and how many miles I've driven since I got in the car, AND if the stop was less than 2 hours, it keeps adding time/distance/fuel consumption/avg speed/etc. of the second drive to the original drive; pretty cool feature--not sure if that's what you guys are saying is dependent on having a built in Navi.

Reactions: Westcoaster

· Premium Member
1,891 Posts
@Westcoaster , my advice:
- Get the Smartphone Compartment option. You know your car has it if the area has two things: 1). the USB connector, and 2). a slightly raised rubber platform with a ribbed section that holds the smartphone. It'll look like this:

That raised platform holds the signal booster. But here's the caveat for the booster: It's passive and will not work if your phone has a case more than a few mm thick or made of material that natively blocks passive boosting (most plastics, carbon fiber). I have an aramid fiber case on my phone -- aramid fibers do NOT block the boost feature.

The USB in the center console does more than only work for CarPlay. It takes a thumb drive, and it supplies power to anything connected to it. Yes, you lost the analog Aux input in the glove box ... but if you'd be using that to feed an analog audio signal to the PCM, you have a better option that's OEM, anyway: the SD card slots.

I don't know enough about the Android Auto interface to advise on it. But the OEM Nav really doesn't have any utility beyond relying on GPS instead of cells and the right-nacelle gauge view.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.