Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
718 are only capable of hard-wired CarPlay; so don't waste your time trying to set it up any other way.
Guessing the dealer was incorrect.
Almost 100% sure it's the armrest USB port that does CarPlay. At least that's how it is in my car and other cars whenever the subject matter comes up here.

Porsche's configurator used to say that adding CarPlay would remove the 12v connection and replace it with a USB connection in the armrest; and also for some reason remove the AUX connection in the glovebox. They've changed it now. Now (since 2019 or 2020) when you select "Navigation including Porsche Connect," it says: "USB interface instead of 12-v socket in center console storage compartment. Deletion of AUX interface in the glove compartment." And CarPlay is now (since 2019) a stand-alone option -- which incidentally makes a ton more sense. But anyways, I believe in 2017 and 2018 for you to have CarPlay the car had to come with either Connect, or more likely Connect+ -- although I'm still struggling to figure out the difference between the two.
Thanks for the update il have to contact dealer but not sure if i buy Connect it will work ? I cant believe i can get car play in a ford transit but not my porsche ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well c
Thanks for the update il have to contact dealer but not sure if i buy Connect it will work ? I cant believe i can get car play in a ford transit but not my porsche ??
Well contacted my dealer and was told i dont have car play but i can get it installed for a pricey sum of £1143😮

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well c

Well contacted my dealer and was told i dont have car play but i can get it installed for a pricey sum of £1143😮
Seems like you're in UK, so I won't pretend to know how you guys do things over there vis-a-vis what was advertised and what was sold.
Having said that, if you're just going to be paying for this out of pocket, as I said, you need to purchase the software license for CarPlay (I've seen it online for a little over $500 USD), then get a dealership or a Porsche Tech to load it up to your PCM (from what I understand, that's just like a software install but must be done by someone with a special Porsche laptop computer with the right software and I'm guessing communication back to the mothership). The last part is the hardware install; I assume there has to be at least some hardware install, i.e. the USB connection installed in your center armrest. Lastly, and this is optional, depending on whether or not your car came with GPS/Navi you may or may not have the button on the side of the left turn signal stalk, the button for voice control. I understand that proper install of CarPlay includes replacing the entire stalk (assuming the current one does not have a button for voice control) with a stalk that does have a button. Technically, you do not need to do this, as you can always just say "Hey Siri" or press and hold the "home" button (bottom left corner) of the CarPlay display on the PCM to activate Siri; I understand that it's a time intensive task to replace the left stalk.

Good luck. If you end up doing it, let us know what you did and how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was quoted £1143 gbp to instal but ive gently complained that i was told i had apple car play when buying but in reality i dont so not too happy

21 - 24 of 24 Posts