Porsche 718 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Checked with Boss, he said no problem, I have teamviewer working, the netbook has Ethernet and SD slot. LOL. it's battery is a bit DEAD but it runs fine. And I did not get a message from Bill Gates telling me that I MUST UPGRADE to windows 10. LOL. I ordered the adapter. I have plenty of SD cards. and of course the item NOT on the list, the Cat5 wire to connect the two. :)

Mike
That would be really good for me as I have an older Dell XP machine that could use.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS, 2018 M5, prior '16 M2, '15 Q7, '13 Q8L, '04 A4 Cab, '03 RS6, '00 A6, '97 M3, '94 3
20 Posts
I hear you, we have all mac's here. LOL. I use windows 7 on my mac via Parrallel. That would probably work too, but trying to keep it simple.

I'm having a time with the stupid WiFI hotspot. Cannot get that to work. My phone connects for "Porsche connect" but my laptop will not and there is no internet connection. The porsche website says you can do this, my car is a 2019, perhaps that site is not correct for 2019 cars. Some say you need the eternal sim to do wifi hotspot? I got me car connected with ATT via the porsche website and the data link appears to be active. That is the only way the porsche connect is going to allow me to Log into the car. That does work. Just not the Hotspot. I plan on going to ATT store to get a sim and try the external sim. I want the hotspot for my dash cam......oh well.....

Mike

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I believe that with the internal (eternal, infernal) card, you can connect only ONE device to the Porsche WLAN. So if your phone is already connected via WiFi, that connectione is spoken for...

The reference to hot spot is to make your phone the internet gateway, in the absence of internet subscription for the infernal card.

An external card allows for as many connections as you'd like to the Porsche WLAN. I use it all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
interested to add apple carplay to my 718 GT4 2020 model.
How much do you charge for activation?

Which interface has best compatibility? Will ugreen with asix AX88772 work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The laptop is really just a conduit for Sima to connect to PCM to tell it to dump the configuration to the SD card. Then he uses TeamViewer's built in file transfer tool to transfer the dump to his machine where the magic happens. Technically one can use any machine, including a Mac to do this but using Windows, Putty and TeamViewer makes it the most convenient and hands off for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well Magic works 50-50%. This need to be said.

In my case Android Auto was activated, but it lasts only 3-4 minutes and it closes. Cannot listen to a full song nor use waze for a full trip. you need a co- pilot to restart it while you drive.

It can happen to some users, and in my case, with PCM 4.0-Boxster 2020, it happened to me.

I did not request money back but would appreciated to know that this can happen before doing it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have problems since my phone upgraded from Android 10 to Android 11; by searching in forums found several A11 experienced the same problem after upgrade; I'm waiting for the next patch that hopefully fixes the problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i've read there are a few bugs in AA that are quite annoying. One of them is that AA crashes when the phone charge reaches 100%. This has nothing to do with the car or PCM but is an issue with the AA in the phone and the only solution is for google to update the AA app.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well Magic works 50-50%. This need to be said.

In my case Android Auto was activated, but it lasts only 3-4 minutes and it closes. Cannot listen to a full song nor use waze for a full trip. you need a co- pilot to restart it while you drive.

It can happen to some users, and in my case, with PCM 4.0-Boxster 2020, it happened to me.

I did not request money back but would appreciated to know that this can happen before doing it.
Waze has been super buggy on AA period. It breaks on different cars all the time. So far I have had no issues with Amazon Music or Youtube Music working. I did find that connection is more stable if I were to delete the phone from Bluetooth in PCM and remove PCM from Phone's BT list. Then just plug it into the cable and let AA do the pairing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
As I said before,issue with Carplay or Android Auto are phone or cable only.
All of the processing happens on phone and PCM just receives that info and displays it.
That is why you have apps Carplay and Android ON the phone.

Who is not happy,I am happy to deactivate and refund,simple as that.
But don't expect that someone else will resolve it,because we almost use the same method.
My method just keeps all of your codes with valid VIN,and doesn't create problems with the dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will try the workarounds mentioned, change cables etc.

Sima your service was nice and thanks

But nobody mentioned that this is not a 100% bullet proof process and that problems exist. I hope that this post can explain this to others

·
Registered
279 Posts
But nobody mentioned that this is not a 100% bullet proof process and that problems exist. I hope that this post can explain this to others
It seems that Sima's service is bulletproof and there is nothing wrong with the PCM. The quirks are in the AA app that is in one's phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The laptop is really just a conduit for Sima to connect to PCM to tell it to dump the configuration to the SD card. Then he uses TeamViewer's built in file transfer tool to transfer the dump to his machine where the magic happens. Technically one can use any machine, including a Mac to do this but using Windows, Putty and TeamViewer makes it the most convenient and hands off for you.
So the SD card goes in the pcm or in the laptop? (since my laptop has no SD slot so I also need a card reader?)

·
Registered
35 Posts
It seems that Sima's service is bulletproof and there is nothing wrong with the PCM. The quirks are in the AA app that is in one's phone.
But a forum like this is to share info. I shared my experience and it can happen to anyone.

Android Auto can work for one and not for other. This must be shared.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So the SD card goes in the pcm or in the laptop? (since my laptop has no SD slot so I also need a card reader?)
It goes in both. Sima will dump the config into the SD card when it is in PCM. You then take it out of PCM, put in laptop so he can transfer to his side to work on, then he copies the updated config to the SD card where you will remove from laptop and insert into PCM.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But a forum like this is to share info. I shared my experience and it can happen to anyone.

Android Auto can work for one and not for other. This must be shared.
Funny thing is anyone with an Android device knows that Android Auto is a "Your Mileage Will Vary" kind of technology with every update to either Android core version, Android Auto versions or even the applications running on your phone. Welcome to the inconsistencies and crap ass Google consumer service/product support quality :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny thing is anyone with an Android device knows that Android Auto is a "Your Mileage Will Vary" kind of technology with every update to either Android core version, Android Auto versions or even the applications running on your phone. Welcome to the inconsistencies and crap ass Google consumer service/product support quality :)
Not really. Have no problems with AA in Volvo and BMW. I use Apple and Android, and prefer Google.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got a pair of J5Create Ethernet adapter's in the mail the other day (no Ethernet port on my Ultrabook), just wondering what format is required foir the SD card, FAT32 or exFAT?

Now I just need my vehicle to be delivered ;)
Format.JPG

161 - 180 of 204 Posts