Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is interesting but I wish there was a little less mystery in the PDK. I'd like to be positively in control and know exactly what my inputs will accomplish.
Do I sound old? I turned 40 last week so I'm becoming sensitive to that. Should I just relinquish control to my computer overlords and their infinite artificial wisdom?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
This is interesting but I wish there was a little less mystery in the PDK. I'd like to be positively in control and know exactly what my inputs will accomplish.
Do I sound old? I turned 40 last week so I'm becoming sensitive to that. Should I just relinquish control to my computer overlords and their infinite artificial wisdom?
Positively antediluvian!...

Fighter jockeys relinquished control of their planes to the computer (to keep them stable) thirty years ago. You don't set the advance in your car anymore, it became automatic like 75 years ago... we relinquished manual choke 40 years ago... And you are bloody slow changing gears manually, compared to the PDK anyway...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
913 Posts
@Lelandjt I am more than 2 decades older than you so when I buy a sports car for recreational purposes only and insignificant exposure to traffic, I buy a manual transmission. If I am buying a DD or a race car where no manual shifting or fast shifting, respectively, are appreciable, the PDK is a fantastic option. Except for an occasional human inclination to down shift the PDK, I don't think the car will have any issues with gear control. If the car is happy, you should be also, IMHO.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Positively antediluvian!...

Fighter jockeys relinquished control of their planes to the computer (to keep them stable) thirty years ago. You don't set the advance in your car anymore, it became automatic like 75 years ago... we relinquished manual choke 40 years ago... And you are bloody slow changing gears manually, compared to the PDK anyway...:ROFLMAO::LOL:
As a contrast to the fighter jockey, there are those that prefer flying for flying itself, look at the modern glider, built and enjoyed in a completely different way... ;)

@Lelandjt I am more than 2 decades older than you so when I buy a sports car for recreational purposes only and insignificant exposure to traffic, I buy a manual transmission. If I am buying a DD or a race car where no manual shifting or fast shifting, respectively, are appreciable, the PDK is a fantastic option. Except for an occasional human inclination to down shift the PDK, I don't think the car will have any issues with gear control. If the car is happy, you should be also, IMHO.
Well said, I have always maintained that the PDK is an incredible transmission especially for the uses you mention, but for me and the way I want to enjoy my car the manual transmission is the preferred choice.

I don't think age is the determining factor at this point, your stated desire for manual control to match your driving style has you focused on the MT, there is nothing wrong with that. FWIW, this is me as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Most of the time when i let go of the gas i want the car to engine brake, not to coast.
And if i want it to coast i do the paddle thing, but thats my style of driving :)
I've never found this engine to provide much in the way of dynamic braking. I'm under the impression this is because the throttle valve remains open after lifting off the accelerator. Does anyone else have a different experience or explanation?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've never found this engine to provide much in the way of dynamic braking. I'm under the impression this is because the throttle valve remains open after lifting off the accelerator. Does anyone else have a different experience or explanation?
Not different but agreed, I read that the throttle is remains open to keep the turbo spooled up to reduce lag...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
As mentioned down shift 2 or 3 steps turn things around.
And for normal driving it suits my style to have the lesser amount of braking staying in higher gear.

Is the spool thing mentioned the same as boost pressure seen on the mdf?
Cause it differs depending on the mode ur using.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yesterday, for the first time in two years of owning my Cayman, I experienced true Porsche coasting. I was coming off a little uphill on the freeway (Speed Limit 60) doing 72ish.

I lifted my foot off the gas pedal and I saw with horror the RPM dropping to around 1000. Hit the gas, it worked fine, let it go, down to 1000. No engine braking....

When we arrived I told my wife I needed some time to de-bug this.

Then I noticed I was in Normal Mode :eek: No wonder.

I don't think it coasts in Sport Mode.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Agreed. Coasting needs to come from 7th gear. Sport Mode avoids 7th gear. Shouldn't run away as coasting only kicks in on a slight incline or dead flat. Occasionally gets caught out with a following wind:)

PostEdit: added guff
Well, not when i am driving :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sport Mode avoids 7th gear.
The PDK will go into 7th in Sport Mode at about 80mph. I can't say that I've ever experienced Coast in Sport Mode, can't say that I haven't either.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well I for one, am glad I don't have to worry about such matters, having an MT and all. I pick the gear I want to be in at all times :)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Well I for one, am glad I don't have to worry about such matters, having an MT and all. I pick the gear I want to be in at all times :)
I do the same.... with a PDK.

Pretty rare that I’m not in manual mode.

Oh, the PDK will coast in many different gears while in normal driving mode. Just needs the right conditions.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts