Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information regarding how to complete the PDK service at the 50,000 mile mark?

At the 50,000 mile mark, do you just drain and install new clutch fluid?

I would think the maintenance procedure(s) for the 718 cars wouldn't be much different than the other PDK transmission Porsches.

Perhaps someone on the 718forum has experience with the PDK service on a different model of Porsche?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd share what I found out regarding the PDK service. Hopefully, this information will help others who don't have experience with the PDK service.

• Factory recommendations are to service the PDK every 40,000 miles. (change the Pentosin FFL-3 fluid, filter, & pan along with the Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil). If you spend a lot of time on the track, you probably want to do the service every 20,000-30,000 miles.

• You need a PIWIS system to properly complete the FFL-3 transmission fluid fill and clutch re-learn/re-calibration. Not a DIY project unless you have access to a PIWIS system. Also, the FFL-3 fluid fill process must occur during a particular temperature range.

• The 75W-90 gear oil is an easy drain and fill that can be a DIY project. Since this is a DIY task, the shop recommended to do a drain and fill every 1-2 track sessions. The 718's capacity is right at 3 quarts, but I would buy 4 quarts to be safe.
Listed below are three links I found on Rennlist where the PDK service is discussed:

·
Registered
313 Posts
40k mile interval? I thought it was much longer the last time looking at the service intervals in the manual. Maybe my memory is shot!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
40k mile interval? I thought it was much longer the last time looking at the service intervals in the manual. Maybe my memory is shot!
Service advisor at the dealership told me 40,000-60,000 miles but wanted to service my PDK at 40,000 miles because he knows my car has been out on the track with his PCA buddies.

The shop I use that normally only works on Porsche track cars told me to service it every 20,000-30,000 miles and to change the gear oil every 1-2 events.

You can probably get away with waiting until 50,000 or 60,000 miles if you don't drive your car hard.

I'm trying to "err on the side of caution" and service my PDK every 30,000-40,000 miles.

Might not be a bad idea to check with your dealership's service advisor to make sure you satisfy their service requirements to keep your warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking at the Inspection schedule document for the 718 Boxter / Cayman (2017 MY). It says the PDK transmission and clutch fluid change is every 120,000 miles. I'm not saying don't change it sooner if you're tracking your car, of course...but I want to know where the 50,000 mile recommendation came from?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts