Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

Out of curiosity - has the PDK gone through generational iterations. IE - is the 1st gen PDK the same from say a 2012 car to the PDK in the 2020? Is one better than the other?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't answer specifically, but anecdotally can say coming from my 2010 PDK to my 2017 its now way better. No more jerks or lurches pulling off from idle. Shifts more positively and the automatic mode is much more intuitive. They also did away with the "kickdown on WOT" in manual mode which was very annoying--it took over your control of the gear selection in manual mode when you floor the accel. Granted some of the changes may be ECU based but I'd guess some mechanical improvements have also been made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it still the case that once PDK goes bad you have to replace it? Or have they improved on that front?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey there

Out of curiosity - has the PDK gone through generational iterations. IE - is the 1st gen PDK the same from say a 2012 car to the PDK in the 2020? Is one better than the other?
I've also been interested in finding out more about this topic, but there appears to be very little info online about the evolution (if any) of the PDK... Interestingly, in the video I've just posted in another thread they do compare all three generations of cayman, all with PDK and they do make reference to the better, more responsive PDK 'mapping' between the 987 and 981 generations... although they don't discuss the difference between 981 and 718 generations. Haven't really found anything else...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Tech introduction only states the same on both pdk and mt.
"Based on the 981"

·
Registered
120 Posts
The newer PDKs are more refined as suggested by 2nd poster in the thread. I had a 2010 911 C4S PDK and the PDK in the 2017 Cayman S is much better.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Every response above refers to items controlled by software, which is in constant development - and, frankly, is the biggest reason modern gearboxes aren't redesigned every few years. It saves immense costs, particularly for companies such as ZF and Getrag, whose sole reason for still existing is to supply transmissions to larger vehicle makers either unable or unwilling to develop their own.

The hardware design of the PDK, AFAIK, has not changed significantly beyond gear ratios and mild development tweaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts