Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road tripping this week! Doing PEC Atlanta track experience with a Boxster 4.0 (PDK). Wanted to try out a sister of my Cayman 4.0 6mt in a wilder setting than civilian roads. Will report back. 馃弫

Registered
Green with envy! How could one not enjoy hammering someone else's Porsche with no worries regarding upkeep. Looking forward to your analysis...have a blast!

Reactions: Graustark

Registered
Road tripping this week! Doing PEC Atlanta track experience with a Boxster 4.0 (PDK). Wanted to try out a sister of my Cayman 4.0 6mt in a wilder setting than civilian roads. Will report back. 馃弫
I cannot overemphasize what a great time we had two years ago when we took delivery at the Atlanta PEC. I think it took most of the past two years for the smiles on our faces to fade somewhat after the track experience. They know exactly how to make you feel like the most important person in the world. Aside from the track, the great lunch with menus customized with our names and staff that appeared to have nothing to do but wait on us, the simulator, the museum, etc. all have to be enjoyed while you are there. Please do "report back".

Registered
2021 Boxster Order Placed ETA August 2021 (DD)
Enjoy!!! Since we are do you to take our delivery at PEC Atlanta, looking forward to hearing from you about how things are currently going along, and since this will be our first time, any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Premium Member
You are going to have a ball! I did a day on the road course at Charlotte Motor Speedway. What a hoot. I also did Nurburgring but I was in an old,old BMW that was slow as Christmas. I still had a lot of fun.

Registered
I'm in Birmingham, AL tonight for the two day track experience at Barber Motorsports Park tomorrow and Friday. So excited! I want to get to the experience center in ATL, too, and hope you have a great time!

Registered
The track is very tight with no runoff. I read that they had plans to expand it a bit but I don鈥檛 recall the time frame for doing so. Overall great fun. I don鈥檛 know of they are putting the instructions back in the same car yet (COVID precautions). I found having the instructor next to me very helpful for real time feedback.

Registered
And to GTS: the 2 day Barber experience is one of the greatest times! Plenty of track time and instruction And you are treated very well. The museum after the second day is great.

Registered
My recommendation is to, once you鈥檝e done a few laps of the road course for familiarization and the tires are warmed up, swap drivers and have the instructor do a lap at speed. This will let you know how much further you can push it and what the optimal line is. Then get back and keep going.
I left the instructor-driven lap to the end and only then did a few things 鈥渃lick鈥.

Registered
For me the best part is the random tail slew on wet polished concrete.
That was pretty awesome. I really liked the fact that they let you pick which parts to focus on (kick plate, skid pad, track, low friction, launch control ....). I spent a lot of time on the skid pad because I was determined to get the drifting piece mastered. The entire experience was well worth it.

Registered
By no means am I a skilled performance driver so I was a bit concerned when we arrived at the Atlanta PEC that I would be expected to drive beyond my ability. It turned out, that was not at all the case. The driving instructor very quickly assessed my capability and appropriately structured the track experience. I not only learned a lot, I had an incredibly great time. The skid pads were truly the highlight of it all. I always wanted to learn and do donuts and that is one of the things we did.

Registered
Enjoy! I went last month for a corporate event and had a great time. The kick plate is a lot of fun and sends you into a spin quickly if you aren鈥檛 quick enough with the counter steer.

The track is fun but short so speeds aren鈥檛 that high. Also I found the 鈥渇ollow the leader鈥 pretty tame compared a BMW M track day I did prior. Def not pushing the car anywhere near the limits but very fun nonetheless.

Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a hoot! Your instructor is in the car with you (masked). Man, my deltoids and upper back were sore for 2-3 days thereafter. Instructor said I definitely improved a good deal (low bar) with even throttle input. Showed how my G forces were very even on the slalom.

Black ice simulator - whoa - Going 20 then 23 mph totally skidded out a few times. Some other times I managed much better control.

Skid pad w/ understeer and oversteer examples was tricky to handle.

Low friction course is low speed on polished "it's like Home Depot" concrete.

Launch control up to 70 mph then slam on the brakes had me exclaiming some Holy Sh-t obscenities. Brakes are amazing on that Boxster GTS 4.0.

And of course the full course. Follow the prior rides' tire marks to follow the proper line. My first time every driving a car like I stole it other than fun with go-karts at COTA.

Asked for instructor to do his 3 show off laps mid-way. He said they don't do that so as not to encourage too much beyond-your-skill driving. He told me "I don't know the words 'slow down'." Wow if I drove like that guy I would have died multiple times.

Definitely worth doing. Had some Wiener Schnitzel afterwards with a beer to calm down. Back of my shirt was full of sweat. Accidentally hit that dang steering wheel heater too lol - did not help!

Registered
Congratulations! Sounds like a memorable day you and your back won't soon forget. There's nothing like the track to harness all your senses...kind of like repeated stiff whiffs of ammonia. Thanks for relaying your thoughts. Seriously looking forward to trying all their "rides!"

Reactions: Graustark

Registered
2021 Boxster
Congratulations! Sounds like a memorable day you and your back won't soon forget. There's nothing like the track to harness all your senses...kind of like repeated stiff whiffs of ammonia. Thanks for relaying your thoughts. Seriously looking forward to trying all their "rides!"
I've been invited and was pondering accepting.... You sold me! Loved the way you described all the aspects of your event. Well done..... I'm going to drive and feel like such a noob....

Registered
I've been invited and was pondering accepting.... You sold me! Loved the way you described all the aspects of your event. Well done..... I'm going to drive and feel like such a noob....
My wife and I are going for 2 days in September. We are both really looking forward to the trip. 1st day in a Carrera, 2nd day in the GT4. I can't wait!!

Registered
2021 Boxster Order Placed ETA August 2021 (DD)
Nice and congratulations!!! Mind if I ask which days y鈥檃ll are deciding to go? Might see y鈥檃ll!

Registered
I'm doing the same thing in September but in a 718C GTS4.0 PDK to match my car. I really want to have an opportunity to learn more about what the car can do. I'm almost certain my nerve won't exceed the car's expectations but I'd like the guidance from someone who really knows and can provide feedback. They will ride in the car with you, right? This is like coaching. Another question for those of you who did the experience or have thoughts: do you tip your driving coach?

Registered
2021 Boxster
I'm leaning toward the end of September/early October. Might have the Bumblebee broken in by then. When do the leaves change in that area?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts