Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've been invited and was pondering accepting.... You sold me! Loved the way you described all the aspects of your event. Well done..... I'm going to drive and feel like such a noob....
You're not alone, as there's something about the track that always makes me feel like a newbie too. Butterflies every time. Metaphorically, I realize I'm just out there poking the "entropy" bear. The better I drive, the more confident I become. With greater confidence comes higher speeds and later braking points. Basically, it's an adrenaline junkie's highly addictive vicious circle (no pun intended) of straddling the line between adventurous control and utter chaos, with each lap inching closer and closer to the abyss.

Reactions: Raven

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
It was a hoot! Your instructor is in the car with you (masked). Man, my deltoids and upper back were sore for 2-3 days thereafter. Instructor said I definitely improved a good deal (low bar) with even throttle input. Showed how my G forces were very even on the slalom.

Black ice simulator - whoa - Going 20 then 23 mph totally skidded out a few times. Some other times I managed much better control.

Skid pad w/ understeer and oversteer examples was tricky to handle.

Low friction course is low speed on polished "it's like Home Depot" concrete.

Launch control up to 70 mph then slam on the brakes had me exclaiming some Holy Sh-t obscenities. Brakes are amazing on that Boxster GTS 4.0.

And of course the full course. Follow the prior rides' tire marks to follow the proper line. My first time every driving a car like I stole it other than fun with go-karts at COTA.

Asked for instructor to do his 3 show off laps mid-way. He said they don't do that so as not to encourage too much beyond-your-skill driving. He told me "I don't know the words 'slow down'." Wow if I drove like that guy I would have died multiple times.

Definitely worth doing. Had some Wiener Schnitzel afterwards with a beer to calm down. Back of my shirt was full of sweat. Accidentally hit that dang steering wheel heater too lol - did not help!
That sounds like a great experience.
I get delivery at Atlanta PEC in November.
I ordered a 2022 CGTS4.0 with PDK
Is that what you were able to drive?

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That sounds like a great experience.
I get delivery at Atlanta PEC in November.
I ordered a 2022 CGTS4.0 with PDK
Is that what you were able to drive?

Thanks for the info!
I drove a Boxster GTS 4.0 – had to enjoy a brief Boxster moment since I bought a Cayman. (I did pick the right one for me though, as being in Texas there are rare non-humid nice weather opportunities.) All cars there are PDK, which was also a nice different thing to experience since I have a manual trans.

Let us know how your pick-up experience is! I picked mine up without such fanfare at the Porsche Austin dealer.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One other thing: my instructor said everyone goes for the 911s and GT3s. The people that pick a Boxster or Cayman for the track experience tend to be Boxster/Cayman owners.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm doing the same thing in September but in a 718C GTS4.0 PDK to match my car. I really want to have an opportunity to learn more about what the car can do. I'm almost certain my nerve won't exceed the car's expectations but I'd like the guidance from someone who really knows and can provide feedback. They will ride in the car with you, right? This is like coaching. Another question for those of you who did the experience or have thoughts: do you tip your driving coach?
It never crossed my mind to tip my instructor. But my guy did say to mention his name if I buy stuff in the gift shop as he has a running challenge w/ the others.

Justin was my instructor's name – I recommend requesting him but then again I can't image that all aren't excellent.

And yes they ride beside you once again (he had to endure wearing a mask though unfortunately).

After about 45 minutes, we had done a bit of everything, so you have a lot of time to focus specific activities if you wish to do so.

Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Nice and congratulations!!! Mind if I ask which days y’all are deciding to go? Might see y’all!
I thought I had replied here. We arrived in Atlanta today, will do the 911 CarreraS tomorrow and the GT4 on Thursday. We're hoping the rain will time properly.
Anyone else here?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I thought I had replied here. We arrived in Atlanta today, will do the 911 CarreraS tomorrow and the GT4 on Thursday. We're hoping the rain will time properly.
Anyone else here?
Oh my goodness, how I would love to join you! But were stuck on the golf course the remainder of the week.

Can't wait for your impressions, so have a blast!

Reactions: CaymanMatt

·
Registered
2021 Boxster Order Placed ETA August 2021 (DD)
217 Posts
My God! What an experience!!! Thank God!!! We were there on 9/9 for the delivery and 9/10 for the simulator, definitely so worth it!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts